Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 3, 22, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
buy kit in store, return to store within 30 days if unused.

if you buy kit online, i assume there is no such thing as free return, if returns are even allowed.

i dont see the need to book slot in advance when it is so easily available...

​​
I already have the kits, got them free. I guess I'll just take them along and book as needed. I thought it might be hard to get slots but if as you say it's readily available then there should be no issue. Unfortunately I'm not counting on this pointless requirement to be canceled.
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
I already have the kits, got them free. I guess I'll just take them along and book as needed. I thought it might be hard to get slots but if as you say it's readily available then there should be no issue. Unfortunately I'm not counting on this pointless requirement to be canceled.
sounds like refund is possible.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service

Can I cancel the service appointment and receive a refund?Your ticket number is valid for 6 months after purchase. You can cancel your order within 6 months if you havent used the service.
If you no longer need the service, you can cancel your order by logging in to your account. If you dont have an account with us, simply registerone using the same email address when you place the order. You will then be able to find and cancel your order in your account.
For other questions, please email us along with your order number at [email protected], or call us at 650-300-0821.
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
sounds like refund is possible.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service

Can I cancel the service appointment and receive a refund?Your ticket number is valid for 6 months after purchase. You can cancel your order within 6 months if you havent used the service.
If you no longer need the service, you can cancel your order by logging in to your account. If you dont have an account with us, simply registerone using the same email address when you place the order. You will then be able to find and cancel your order in your account.
For other questions, please email us along with your order number at [email protected], or call us at 650-300-0821.
Great, thank you.
Old Apr 4, 22, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Why not just click and collect an antigen test at waterloo for 11 pounds?
Old Apr 4, 22, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
what was the price before?
​​​​​​​I believe it was around $20
Old Apr 4, 22, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by catwood View Post
Why not just click and collect an antigen test at waterloo for 11 pounds?
Depending on how your read the CDC guidelines and / or how your airline interprets them it could be argued that you need either an in-person test or a proctored test. Certainly for my last few trips back to the USA I've gone with an in-person test with Express Test (obviously other options are available) but depending on one's schedule etc. I can see how going to a test site and having them do the test, send you the certificate etc. could be a more effective use of time and money.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Apr 5, 22, 9:31 am

Programs: UA1k
Nairobi (NBO) to USA

I'll be departing NBO to IAH with connection in FRA. I cannot locate any rapid antigen testing labs, all seem to be PCR with stated results 24-48 hours. I could get the test in FRA airport, but I am not sure if LH will let me board without a test. Has anyone encountered this situation? Any ideas?.... Thanks
Old Apr 5, 22, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by WLobo View Post
I'll be departing NBO to IAH with connection in FRA. I cannot locate any rapid antigen testing labs, all seem to be PCR with stated results 24-48 hours. I could get the test in FRA airport, but I am not sure if LH will let me board without a test. Has anyone encountered this situation? Any ideas?.... Thanks
You'll need to get the pcr test in Nairobi yeah. While typically they say results in 24-48 hours, i think you can get it much sooner in practice.
Old Apr 5, 22, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
This is why I travel with proctored self-tests.
Old Apr 5, 22, 2:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold, AA Platinum
look like administration have no plans to scrap pre-departure covid test... Outgoing WH COVID coordinator made this remark today. time to go outside and enjoy the fresh air to vent out frustration over this saga.
Old Apr 5, 22, 8:11 pm

there's a test center inside NBO Airport, plus 20+ sites outside of airport
and almost everyone of them offers both antigen and PCR.
and no, none of the PCR requires 24-48h turnaround.
this is Kenya, not US or obscure West Africa countries

Airport location
Airport Trade Centre
MW58+7MG, Nairobi, Kenya
progapanda likes this.

Last edited by gnomey; Apr 5, 22 at 8:18 pm
Old Apr 6, 22, 8:35 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I remain optimistic the end of pre-departure testing is coming. It's not like the WH would have signaled the end of this requirement weeks in advance and thus created even more confusion for travelers and airline staff. And Zients, who as you note has left his role, certainly would not (edit: left out a word) have been the person empowered to communicate such a change in policy on his last day. Let's see what his replacement, Jha, has to say in the next week or so leading to the April 18 date for reconsideration of the federal mask mandate on transportation.

Originally Posted by washeelers747 View Post
look like administration have no plans to scrap pre-departure covid test... Outgoing WH COVID coordinator made this remark today. time to go outside and enjoy the fresh air to vent out frustration over this saga.
LETTERBOY and northinsouth like this.

Last edited by progapanda; Apr 7, 22 at 10:32 am
Old Apr 6, 22, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by progapanda View Post
I remain optimistic the end of pre-departure testing is coming. It's not like the WH would have signaled the end of this requirement weeks in advance and thus created even more confusion for travelers and airline staff. And Zients, who as you note has left his role, certainly would have been the person empowered to communicate such a change in policy on his last day. Let's see what his replacement, Jha, has to say in the next week or so leading to the April 18 date for reconsideration of the federal mask mandate on transportation.
I find Jha--at least in his public persona--to be a bit more even-keeled and nuanced than Zients. If there was someone who would pull the plug on the mandate, it might be Jha as opposed to Zients, but who knows. This mandate keeps giving like a case of herpes.
Old Apr 6, 22, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by progapanda View Post
I remain optimistic the end of pre-departure testing is coming. It's not like the WH would have signaled the end of this requirement weeks in advance and thus created even more confusion for travelers and airline staff. And Zients, who as you note has left his role, certainly would have been the person empowered to communicate such a change in policy on his last day. Let's see what his replacement, Jha, has to say in the next week or so leading to the April 18 date for reconsideration of the federal mask mandate on transportation.
Although it's not likely they would have signaled the end of the policy weeks in advance, I would have expected a different answer than the one given in the briefing. Something more along the lines of "We are continuing to evaluate this and other travel-related policies in light of recent covid trends" rather than "there are no plans to change this policy". I am still keeping my trip at the end of the month until we hear something before the Aptil 18th date (especially given the change in leadership of the covid committee), but I guess I'm not holding my breath haha.
Old Apr 7, 22, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
LHR-ORDWas able to complete and upload test results, but not able to get an electronic boarding pass. Telling me to go to a kiosk at LHR. Is this common?

Search this Thread