Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 31, 22, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
IMO, all of these point to the international testing rule (and the mask mandate, for those who are interested in that) being ended fairly soon.
This time, I think there's a realistic basis for optimism, unlike during the past when it was more wishful thinking born out of frustration. Not that I'm not frustrated now, but I think finally as you've laid out, even they are starting to accept these policies are completely untenable.
Old Apr 1, 22, 2:19 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Going to London and unsure about when I need the Covid test for return to US

So, I am going to London for a long weekend (using up an expiring flight credit) 4/28-5/1.

I am unvaccinated and understand that I have no testing requirements to enter the UK.

However, reading the BA forum, and reading about the UK travelers getting Covid testing to enter the US led me to read the requirements for entry which are the following:

"All travelers regardless of their vaccination status must have an original printed or electronic negative COVID-19 viral test result (NAAT: RT-PCR, RT-LAMP, TMA, NEAR, HDA, SDA, CRISPR, or Antigen: Rapid, Viral, Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay, Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay, or Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence). The test must be taken a maximum of 1 day before the first scheduled departure time in the flight itinerary (if a flight is at 1 pm on a Friday, travelers could board with a COVID-19 negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday)."

So my question is do they really mean that they want a Covid test on 4/27 before I leave the US? Or do they mean they want a Covid test done 4/30 before I leave London to return to the US? It seems its the former, which seems stupid since it would tell them nothing about my exposure abroad, but I want to make sure I give them exactly what they want.

Thanks
Old Apr 1, 22, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
It's the latter. Take the test max 1 day (not 24 hours, so you have some more leeway) before the scheduled flight time to return to the US. It needs to be a proctored test - we just used this one and it was easy if you don't want to fuss finding one in the UK (https://store.optum.com/shop/product...est-kit-2-pack)
Old Apr 1, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
You can take the test anytime on 4/30 or even the morning of 5/1 if you can get results before your flight.
Old Apr 1, 22, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996 View Post
You can take the test anytime on 4/30 or even the morning of 5/1 if you can get results before your flight.
Its going to have to be 4/30 i think as my flight leaves at 0745 from T3 at Heathrow.

I have contacted a testing site near Victoria Station that has very good reviews on line, does 3 hours return PCR.

Will set up 0900 appointment on 4/30 so that will have result and paperwork in hand by lunch time

Thanks for responses, I thought that getting the test in the US sounded incorrect but the wording was so poor, I just wanted to be sure I was getting what i needed to get home.
Old Apr 1, 22, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
Its going to have to be 4/30 i think as my flight leaves at 0745 from T3 at Heathrow.

I have contacted a testing site near Victoria Station that has very good reviews on line, does 3 hours return PCR.

Will set up 0900 appointment on 4/30 so that will have result and paperwork in hand by lunch time

Thanks for responses, I thought that getting the test in the US sounded incorrect but the wording was so poor, I just wanted to be sure I was getting what i needed to get home.

Shouldn't need PCR.

Also, as far as I could tell for two recent returns from abroad, the only entity actually concerned with the test is the airline. No one is checking any test status when you arrive back here in the states.

In fact, friend of my just transited ORD immigration and the immigration folks were yelling at the pax to "Bunch together! Ignore the markings on the floor! COVID is over!"
bruceba likes this.
Old Apr 1, 22, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Gold
You won't need a PCR test. You should book an antigen / rapid test. It will be considerably cheaper.
Xyzzy, LWkitty and mnhusker like this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405 View Post
You won't need a PCR test. You should book an antigen / rapid test. It will be considerably cheaper.
Yes, I was imprecise with my terms. Actually seeing up a lateral flow rapid test, as you said much cheaper and fulfills the requirements.

All the best.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 22, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by SFOTerry View Post
Has anyone here actually booked and used the iHealth proctored tests? I have 4 unopened 2-packs and will need to test 2 humans in Paris on April 11th (per the current rules). My AVG anti-virus still objects vehemently to some supposed malware embedded in the schedule preview site (https://ihealthcvidtest.com/verifyTest/previewschedule - replace the with o). I believe someone above noted that the test can't be done on a phone - not a problem, but I need to get past this malware issue.

I suppose we could go to a pharmacy nearby, but would prefer to do it in our room.
I just purchased 2 "proctorings". Price has increased to $24.99 +tax.
Old Apr 2, 22, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
This time, I think there's a realistic basis for optimism, unlike during the past when it was more wishful thinking born out of frustration. Not that I'm not frustrated now, but I think finally as you've laid out, even they are starting to accept these policies are completely untenable.
We also thought they will roll back the requirements last month. We'll see...
Old Apr 3, 22, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Can these "proctorings" be canceled for a refund? You can purchase them up to a month out so I'd like to book to be on the safe side and have a slot. But if by some miracle this requirement drops I would like to be able to cancel for a refund.
Old Apr 3, 22, 3:32 pm

Has anyone here actually booked and used the iHealth proctored tests? I have 4 unopened 2-packs and will need to test 2 humans in Paris on April 11th (per the current rules). My AVG anti-virus still objects vehemently to some supposed malware embedded in the schedule preview site. I believe someone above noted that the test can't be done on a phone - not a problem, but I need to get past this malware issue.

I suppose we could go to a pharmacy nearby, but would prefer to do it in our room.
I used the iHealth proctor service today. Have a flight from Manchester, UK back to JFK tomorrow. Service went smoothly using a Macbook, and proctor confirmed that the result was in my email and looking good prior to disconnecting. Was accepted by Virgin Atlantic's FlyReady so should be all set for tomorrow.
friedablass and QT31415 like this.
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K
I saw that price increase! Went to purchase a few, but in the end it was almost the same as Binax, which IMHO is a better product (no appt needed)
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
Can these "proctorings" be canceled for a refund? You can purchase them up to a month out so I'd like to book to be on the safe side and have a slot. But if by some miracle this requirement drops I would like to be able to cancel for a refund.
buy kit in store, return to store within 30 days if unused.

if you buy kit online, i assume there is no such thing as free return, if returns are even allowed.

i dont see the need to book slot in advance when it is so easily available...

​​​​​​​what was the price before?
Old Apr 3, 22, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by nldogbert View Post
Hi,
Just wanted to report back my experience with the HALO/LAMP test - both me and my travel companion did this test and we will NEVER do this again. Main reason was the sensitivity of the test. Mine was fine, but my travel companion's sample was rejected. We followed the rules of not eating/drinking 30 mins before testing.
In the end, luckily we managed to get a slot for the usual Rapid Antigen test at T3 the next morning before our 11am flight.

All in all, really do not see the difference between this LAMP test and the Rapid Antigen test (offered by HALO) - yes I understand LAMP is sent to a lab, but during the sample taking, there's no supervision, so how is that even in a controlled environment. They can also just offer the Rapid Antigen test with the person on duty supervising the test and therefore making it valid.
Wasted the $$ for this LAMP/NAAT test.

Cheers!
RT-LAMP can be performed outside of lab setting. it doesnt require thermocycling like PCR.

but yes, between antigen and RT-LAMP, it's easier to do antigen

Search this Thread