Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 21, 22, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Daedalus7 View Post
If you have or can get a FlowFlex covid test kit, this company offers video supervised tests 24/7

https://www.azova.com/flowflexvideo/
Wow, I was about to order the eMed 6 test kit. Then I saw this one. FlowFlex is the one Costco sells $40 for 5 - and my insurance carrier sends it out for free also. So you just pay the $20. Given the fact that this requirement might drop soon, it might not be worth it to pay $25 for each with eMed. Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 12:38 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by SFOTerry View Post
On March 9th I submitted an online claim to Kaiser Northern California for a eMed BinaxNow 6-pack I ordered last August. Just received a claim denial in the mail. Oh well.
What was their basis for the denial? Because they offer free testing?
Old Mar 21, 22, 12:40 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
I sure thought so. I have images/pdfs of all that, and remember uploading at last 3 files (but there's no online info about what exactly I submitted). Remark code is CLD52.

I am on a Kaiser Sr Advantage plan (medicare).
Interesting. The one claim I've been able to file so far I did on paper--I wonder if that makes a difference since the automated claim is probably set on 'deny all'
Old Mar 21, 22, 3:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, AC, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by danger View Post
If anyone comes across an outlet that ships these tests outside the US, I'd appreciate if you'd post the details.
I've come across this website that seems to mail internationally although shipping to where I am isn't that cheap.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by username View Post
Given the fact that this requirement might drop soon, it might not be worth it to pay $25 for each with eMed.
I wouldn't pay $25 anyway. With supplies available in the US, one could drop down the cost to roughly $6-7. That, in case one ordered a set of free federal testkits. IIRC a testkit from CVS would be around a tenner (unless they're down now?) and then test verification on top of that. Still below $20.

My cheaptest total has been around $7 now. So, personally I see it more like an laziness tax for paying excessively. Just do your homework and there's cheaper ways to get the document needed for the airlines. In fact, my most recent entry was with just me signing an attestation and assuming self-responsibility for my documents to be in order (which they were).
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata View Post
I wouldn't pay $25 anyway. With supplies available in the US, one could drop down the cost to roughly $6-7. That, in case one ordered a set of free federal testkits. IIRC a testkit from CVS would be around a tenner (unless they're down now?) and then test verification on top of that. Still below $20.

My cheaptest total has been around $7 now. So, personally I see it more like an laziness tax for paying excessively. Just do your homework and there's cheaper ways to get the document needed for the airlines. In fact, my most recent entry was with just me signing an attestation and assuming self-responsibility for my documents to be in order (which they were).
How can you get your cost down to $7 for return to the USA if the video add-on is by itself $20? Even for those who have free tests it will still cost them $20 to get their verified results after doing the test via video proctoring.
Buster, QT31415 and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by username View Post
Wow, I was about to order the eMed 6 test kit. Then I saw this one. FlowFlex is the one Costco sells $40 for 5 - and my insurance carrier sends it out for free also. So you just pay the $20. Given the fact that this requirement might drop soon, it might not be worth it to pay $25 for each with eMed. Thanks!
says who? i thought they would have dropped it 6 months ago....
Old Mar 21, 22, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
They'll use BA.2 and the next one after that to justify keeping the test requirements forever.
tai4de2 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
Imagine they took such a short-sighted approach and dropped the requirement in the post-Alpha/pre-Delta drop in cases... Or post-Delta/pre-Omicron, for that matter. While cases are rampant worldwide and new variants can arise anytime, I wouldn't expect it to get dropped, especially given the cost to the average US citizen (who doesn't travel internationally, esp. right now) vs. the benefit to average US citizen is this disproportionate.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 21, 22, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting data point on my AV582 SAL-IAD flight. This morning I asked the gate agent in SAL if she needed to verify my test and vax card. She says they will check it upon arrival. During the boarding announcement they ask for people to have it in hand so when I scan my pass all they ask for is a passport lol. Upon arrival to IAD of course no one asks for anything lol. Are we finally done with this?
Old Mar 21, 22, 2:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Imagine they took such a short-sighted approach and dropped the requirement in the post-Alpha/pre-Delta drop in cases... Or post-Delta/pre-Omicron, for that matter. While cases are rampant worldwide and new variants can arise anytime, I wouldn't expect it to get dropped, especially given the cost to the average US citizen (who doesn't travel internationally, esp. right now) vs. the benefit to average US citizen is this disproportionate.
I'd love to see you show your math on that last sentence.

The same "experts" and "leaders" still requiring Covid tests for air travel allowed tens of millions of people to cross by land with no test.
Old Mar 21, 22, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
I don't see why you can't use them. It says "use with any unopened ihealth test, or purchase here". I'm not flying back to the US until the end of April but if this requirement is still in place I'm planning on using this service with my existing still sealed tests.
I have a related Azova question. I see that Azova offers video observation services, but only list 7 different test kit brands on this page: https://www.azova.com/travelvideo/?p...49506&ali=MTg2

However, on other web pages, Azova states:

"FDA Emergency Use Authorized At-home rapid antigen tests can now be used by travelers to meet COVID testing requirements to enter the United States. At home antigen test results are now accepted by the CDC from travelers who are returning to the United States. Only tests that have received an Emergency Use Authorization such as the Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (self-test) can be used for this purpose. You must take your test under video observation with ID verification and receive a validated result. AZOVA will provide you with these services."

Does this mean that Azova will still provide video observation services even if substitute my own test kits that are FDA Emergency Use Authorized, like the U.S. Government provided Roche and iHealth test kits?
I already asked the Azova agent on the phone, but I didn't really get a warm and fuzzy feeling. But maybe someone here has already successfully done this?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 22, 12:16 pm

Just bought my tests for flights in April - now to schedule the observations. Does the time of day matter or can it be anytime on the day before? We fly at midday but I'd like to get it all done before kids go to school on the day before.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 22, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by steckers View Post
Just bought my tests for flights in April - now to schedule the observations. Does the time of day matter or can it be anytime on the day before? We fly at midday but I'd like to get it all done before kids go to school on the day before.

Hi,

It can be done anytime the day before travel.

Regards

TBS
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 22, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
I sure thought so. I have images/pdfs of all that, and remember uploading at least 3 files (but there's no online info about what exactly I submitted). Remark code is CLD52.

I am on a Kaiser Sr Advantage plan (medicare).
It's meant to be covered by all insurances companies EXCEPT Medicare. Supposedly will be covered shortly by medicare but given the recent cuts in covid coverage don't hold your breathe.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread