Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 8, 22, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo View Post
I know this has been covered many times, but would like a further absolute reassurance:

Travelling from the UK to the USA next week, flight is in the early afternoon. Could you please confirm that I can take the Antigen test at any time the day before departure, even in the morning? This was my understanding but got confused by a recent trip to Italy where they require that the test to be taken 24hours before arrival (I know the USA requirement is day before departure, but is a calendar day or exactly 24th?). Many thanks
Technically it is one day, not 24hrs--but if you get a gate agent that believes it is 24hrs, you don't have much recourse but to argue. If you have the ability to accommodate 24hrs, I would do so.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta - DM, MM; Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Dropped
Can someone recommend a test company at LHR I can use to get a test for return to the US?
Our flight leaves on a Saturday at 8:40AM, LHR-AMS-LAX, so I need something open early and reliable. Staying at LHR hotel the evening before so maybe do it the day before leaving?
SamirD and VonVan like this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 12:22 pm

Not sure if this is the proper forum, so apologies in advance. I'm trying to "crystal ball" when (if ever) the USA will lift the negative test requirement for entry. We are US citizens who have avoided international travel because we don't want to risk being barred from re-entry due to a negative test. Maybe with the mask rules coming up for renewal, the US will revisit (and hopefully repeal) this requirement.

Any thoughts? Or am I just dreaming
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by deaddog View Post
Not sure if this is the proper forum, so apologies in advance. I'm trying to "crystal ball" when (if ever) the USA will lift the negative test requirement for entry. We are US citizens who have avoided international travel because we don't want to risk being barred from re-entry due to a negative test. Maybe with the mask rules coming up for renewal, the US will revisit (and hopefully repeal) this requirement.

Obviously, nobody knows when it will go away - it definitely will at some point, but nobody knows when. Having said that, IMO the closer we get to the mask mandate's expiration date without an announcement, the more likely said mask mandate will be allowed to expire - if they were going to renew it, the news likely would've come out by now. It would make sense to drop the test requirement at the same time, but we all know the US government doesn't make sense, so no one really knows.

I have noticed that Fauci, the CDC, ertc. have all been rather quiet recently. That may or may not mean anything.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 1:06 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by deaddog View Post

Pure speculation, but my guess is that the requirement for testing will be dropped for fully vaxxed travelers before being dropped completely.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10 View Post
Pure speculation, but my guess is that the requirement for testing will be dropped for fully vaxxed travelers before being dropped completely.
Appreciate that it is all speculation but that makes sense. And fine by me as I'm fully vaxxed and have no problem with strong incentives for others to get vaxxed.
chrisny2 and Smiley90 like this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Obviously, nobody knows when it will go away - it definitely will at some point, but nobody knows when. Having said that, IMO the closer we get to the mask mandate's expiration date without an announcement, the more likely said mask mandate will be allowed to expire - if they were going to renew it, the news likely would've come out by now. It would make sense to drop the test requirement at the same time, but we all know the US government doesn't make sense, so no one really knows.

I have noticed that Fauci, the CDC, ertc. have all been rather quiet recently. That may or may not mean anything.
All the quiet gives me so much hope. Before I expected everything to be extended even though I didnt want it to be. Now the silence is giving me enough hope to be pretty pissed if masks got extended and the testing stuck around especially with so many countries dropping testing.

will be a slow week in the meantime. They very well could be debating everything behind the scenes. We really dont know.
Old Mar 9, 22, 8:36 pm

Testing before entry into the US only applies to air travelers and not those arriving via surface means so hopefully this will be dropped soon. I never understood the rational behind only requiring air travelers to test.
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 9, 22, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by sfgiants13 View Post
will be a slow week in the meantime.
For the issue we're discussing, yes. For other stuff, no.

They very well could be debating everything behind the scenes.
They could be debating behind the scenes, but I think the decision may already be made. If there were genuine debate, there's a decent chance something would leak, considering how politically volatile covid is (even within the administration). Another reason they could be keeping quiet about is that the instant they announce a firm end date for the mandate it will become basically unenforceable, even if the end date is several days away. They may announce they're going to let it expire as planned the day before to minimize that.

We really dont know.
Pretty much.
Old Mar 9, 22, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by 123run View Post
Testing before entry into the US only applies to air travelers and not those arriving via surface means so hopefully this will be dropped soon. I never understood the rational behind only requiring air travelers to test.
Vax rule was also only for air for awhile. Interesting that never expanded the testing as well beyond air.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 22, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
All the quiet gives me so much hope. Before I expected everything to be extended even though I didn’t want it to be. Now the silence is giving me enough hope to be pretty pissed if masks got extended and the testing stuck around especially with so many countries dropping testing.

will be a slow week in the meantime. They very well could be debating everything behind the scenes. We really don’t know.
More like the path toward going forward without the mask requirement and without the testing requirement are already set.
Old Mar 10, 22, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by daisyatl View Post
Vax rule was also only for air for awhile. Interesting that never expanded the testing as well beyond air.
It's because you can't deny entry to US citizens at the border. It just wouldn't be legal. Getting on a flight is not the same as presenting yourself at the border, therefore it's legally possible. Plus, the border delays it would cause would be even bigger... Airports are easy since people already arrive hours early for other document checks.
Old Mar 10, 22, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Is the current requirement (I'm assuming it won't change before April 5th when we fly, so need to buy tests) still need video monitored and confirmed? Just asking because Qured, who we used at Christmas for this, don't seem to be offering the video confirmation now. Otherwise we've seen a few places locally in town which we might investigate.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 22, 7:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Is the current requirement (I'm assuming it won't change before April 5th when we fly, so need to buy tests) still need video monitored and confirmed? Just asking because Qured, who we used at Christmas for this, don't seem to be offering the video confirmation now. Otherwise we've seen a few places locally in town which we might investigate.
Yes, self-tests still have to be proctored and meet the CDC requirements. That won't change as long as there is a testing requirement, since non-proctored self-tests don't provide any way to verify identity, date/time, compliance with procedures, etc.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 10, 22, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
As far as I can see Qured is still offering the video add-on to the fit-to-fly test. I checked the website just now.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread