Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 10, 22, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: l etoile
Wiki Link
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 24, 22, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rcmiller View Post
For the BinaxNOW tests, do you have to schedule an appointment time or just log in to the app whenever you are ready to take the test?
Like Qured, you must schedule an appointment.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
For the BinaxNOW tests, do you have to schedule an appointment time or just log in to the app whenever you are ready to take the test?
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I just started a session when I was ready to do the test a few days ago. Less than a minute wait. Didnt realize there was even an option for an appointment.
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
My limited experience is that you call in when ready to test and there my be a brief wait to connect to an agent. I wasn't aware of a need to pre-schedule an appointment.
Old Feb 24, 22, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by fed planner View Post
My limited experience is that you call in when ready to test and there my be a brief wait to connect to an agent. I wasn't aware of a need to pre-schedule an appointment.
I didn't know you could just call in. LOL
Old Feb 24, 22, 5:13 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by HoKo View Post
Understood, thank you both.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you get a counter agent that believes it is hours and not days, you may be fighting an uphill battle and get denied boarding. So better to be on the safe side and go with hours even though the actual rule is days.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 5:29 pm

I use thus test administered by eMed. you do not have to make an appointment
you just logon when you want to get your test done
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
No need to make an appointment with eMed for the BinaxNOW tests. I personally have never had to wait for a proctor to come online both to take the test and to read the results. Total time was not more than 20 minutes from start to finish.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by friedablass; Feb 24, 22 at 7:20 pm
Old Feb 24, 22, 6:02 pm

I didn't know you could just call in. LOL
I wouldn't even know how to make an appointment using eMed... I've never had to dig that deep... I just do it all when I'm good and ready!

rb211.
enviroian and SamirD like this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that if you get a counter agent that believes it is hours and not days, you may be fighting an uphill battle and get denied boarding. So better to be on the safe side and go with hours even though the actual rule is days.
Yeah agreed, that thought crossed my mind too.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think at this point the agents are used to the "one day" phrase enough that it's unlikely you'll have a problem. And if you do, the rule is quite clearly stated in TIMATIC
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 24, 22, 8:59 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by HoKo View Post
Yeah agreed, that thought crossed my mind too.
I've dealt with and seen others messed up with an agent and supervisors and the whole team just stuck on what the screen tells them even though the screen is wrong. I've never been denied boarding, but I've gone to such extremes as going to the airport a day before the flight just to show my paperwork to make sure it is good. I've also seen people (and whole families) completely denied boarding.
Old Feb 25, 22, 12:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AC 50K, AT Gold, Hilton Diamond, National
No - you just log in to the system at your convenience for an emed proctor.
Xyzzy and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 25, 22, 5:02 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
This is one of the reasons I always use the online systems like Delta FlyReady or United Travel Ready Center if available. I'd rather have my test verified by their center that processes thousands of these documents each day rather than a counter agent who might make up or misunderstand the rules. On my last trip to the US, I was flying Delta and wasn't worried about the timeline but about having a test result in German flying from a Spanish airport. I didn't even have to show my test because the agent said everything was good to go and printed my DOCS OK boarding pass.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 25, 22, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
This is one of the reasons I always use the online systems like Delta FlyReady or United Travel Ready Center if available. I'd rather have my test verified by their center that processes thousands of these documents each day rather than a counter agent who might make up or misunderstand the rules. On my last trip to the US, I was flying Delta and wasn't worried about the timeline but about having a test result in German flying from a Spanish airport. I didn't even have to show my test because the agent said everything was good to go and printed my DOCS OK boarding pass.
That's a great option for US airlines but I'm not sure how many non-US airlines have these types of systems in which case you need to show them your paperwork. I don't know of Qatar having such an app or online system which is what the OP was flying with and I've recently flown with them as well and you just had to show them your papers.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 25, 22, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass View Post
That's a great option for US airlines but I'm not sure how many non-US airlines have these types of systems in which case you need to show them your paperwork. I don't know of Qatar having such an app or online system which is what the OP was flying with and I've recently flown with them as well and you just had to show them your papers.
All major European airlines have similar systems. For AF, it's called Ready2Fly.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread