Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by gnomey
the 1 day covid test timing is reset if EU2 has an earlier flight to UK but you choose not to take it.

generally the rule is in place to avoid people having flight itineraries with protracted layover or multiple layovers that are consistently 23hour59minutes or less and still insist they are eligible to use that same covid test taken a few days before to enter US. that is no different from someone who took a covid test T-5 instead of T-1 which renders the policy ineffective

Tuesday evening - 1st flight EU1-EU2
(10h overnight stay)
Wednesday early morning - flight EU2-UK
(short layover)
Wednesday late morning - flight UK-US
Thanks. EU2-UK is indeed the first flight out.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by StingWest
Oh, I see now. Yes, that password thing on the PDF is a pain. I had to re-save my PDF after removing the password with Adobe Acrobat (File/Properties/Security). I realize that not everyone has Adobe Acrobat on their device, and I wonder if there is another Apple/Android app that can do it easily!
I'm pretty sure that "Save to PDF" is an option in the standard print dialog. Just "print" to another PDF that isn't password protected.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I'm pretty sure that "Save to PDF" is an option in the standard print dialog. Just "print" to another PDF that isn't password protected.
That trick stopped working for me on iOS a few months ago.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Lefly
I need a timeline check on a single PNR/ multi-city Itinerary, please.

Tuesday evening - 1st flight EU-EU
(10h overnight stay)
Wednesday early morning - flight EU-UK
(short layover)
Wednesday late morning - flight UK-US

Can I take the test any time on Monday, 1 day before the first flight for the booked itinerary?
Why risk it? What's stopping you just getting it on the Tuesday morning?

How do you "measure" flights availability?
From my departure point there are 2 direct flights in the morning. Does this invalidate my itinerary - chosen because of the airline/alliance to fly with - and therefore do I need to take the test on Tuesday?
I would guess a test from Monday would probably be fine but all it would take is a single overzealous agent who decides that there were routings from EU1 to the US that did not require an overnight stay and hence the start of your journey is reset.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by supine
Why risk it? What's stopping you just getting it on the Tuesday morning?
Nothing, but I would prefer the standard PCR to the antigen done at the pharmacy.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
Antigen tests have increased significantly in usage for travel to advanced Western countries, with Canada being the primary notable exception. They are in widespread use in Europe, both for travel and, increasingly, for use for unvaccinated persons to be able to participate in society.
Not anymore in France, vaccination is required, tests are no longer accepted to enter restaurants etc
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by CGRA
Not anymore in France, vaccination is required, tests are no longer accepted to enter restaurants etc
Interesting. I'm fine with they, but I doubt it would pass muster in the US
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Interesting. I'm fine with they, but I doubt it would pass muster in the US
At the local and state level, it's already been implemented in some areas e.g. NYC. I doubt it would fly at the federal level. You'd see extreme resistance from a number of states and plus it's election season.
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 7:47 am

Testing positive in Mexico for air travel return to US?

OK, just asking as I'm not really clear on what the rules are.
Let's say you're fully vaccinated/boosted. You travel to Mexico. You get your COVID test 1 day prior to departure from Mexico to the USA via airline and test positive. (via antigen test).

1) Do you quarantine for 5 days, then retest and if negative, you're good to fly back?
2) Or do you re-test until you test negative and then are good to fly back (provided last test was within 1 day of new flight)?
3) Something else?

Or is it entirely up to the resort and/or airline how all this works. The original page on the CDC Guidelines say 10 days, but when you click on the "isolation" link it takes you here which seems to suggest 5 days (min.):
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...html#isolation
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
Let's say you're fully vaccinated/boosted. You travel to Mexico. You get your COVID test 1 day prior to departure from Mexico to the USA via airline and test positive. (via antigen test).

1) Do you quarantine for 5 days, then retest and if negative, you're good to fly back?
2) Or do you re-test until you test negative and then are good to fly back (provided last test was within 1 day of new flight)?
3) Something else?

Or is it entirely up to the resort and/or airline how all this works. The original page on the CDC Guidelines say 10 days, but when you click on the "isolation" link it takes you here which seems to suggest 5 days (min.):
based on cdc it is 5 days from start of symptoms and 24 hrs from any remaining symptom and then of course you'll need negative test for flying.. if ok from symptoms but still test positive can probably do land border crossing from Tijuana airport
hurnik and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by azepine00
based on cdc it is 5 days from start of symptoms and 24 hrs from any remaining symptom and then of course you'll need negative test for flying.. if ok from symptoms but still test positive can probably do land border crossing from Tijuana airport
Land crossing in Tijuana if positive isn't gonna help much, unless OP is planning to rent a car there and drive home?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hurnik

3) Something else?

I'm not sure if you're asking about what's possible or what's recommend by the CDC.

It's possible to fly to the USA as soon as you can test negative, however, some airlines may also ask questions like "have you had symptoms/tested positive in the last 5/7/14 days" and then airline might refuse boarding if you truthfully answer yes.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Land crossing in Tijuana if positive isn't gonna help much, unless OP is planning to rent a car there and drive home?
A traveler could fly to Tijuana having recently tested positive, except that often for domestic flights in Mexico they ask you to take a pre-flight health survey (on paper or using Vuela seguro app) and if you admit you have recently tested positive.

But assuming you can get to Tijuana, and you're an American citizen, you can absolutely walk across the border or CBX waving a positive test and coughing and sweating from fever.

Many people who cross CBX then get a taxi or Uber to San Diego airport and fly onward from there.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm not sure if you're asking about what's possible or what's recommend by the CDC.

It's possible to fly to the USA as soon as you can test negative, however, some airlines may also ask questions like "have you had symptoms/tested positive in the last 5/7/14 days" and then airline might refuse boarding if you truthfully answer yes.

A traveler could fly to Tijuana having recently tested positive, except that often for domestic flights in Mexico they ask you to take a pre-flight health survey (on paper or using Vuela seguro app) and if you admit you have recently tested positive.

But assuming you can get to Tijuana, and you're an American citizen, you can absolutely walk across the border or CBX waving a positive test and coughing and sweating from fever.

Many people who cross CBX then get a taxi or Uber to San Diego airport and fly onward from there.
It you test positive, cross the land border AND THEN GET ON A DOMESTIC FLIGHT you're exactly the reason why the pandemic is lasting as long as it does.

Let's NOT advocate that ANYONE do that. If OP loves within driving distance of a land border and can take a rental car then it might work as an alternative, but that would likely ALSO involve taking a domestic Mexican flight while positive, which is ALSO a terrible idea.
Xyzzy, hurnik and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It you test positive, cross the land border AND THEN GET ON A DOMESTIC FLIGHT you're exactly the reason why the pandemic is lasting as long as it does.

Let's NOT advocate that ANYONE do that. If OP loves within driving distance of a land border and can take a rental car then it might work as an alternative, but that would likely ALSO involve taking a domestic Mexican flight while positive, which is ALSO a terrible idea.
I think the caps lock on your keyboard is playing up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:31 pm

Yes, this would be travel from CUN to USA, so going to land border isn't feasible. No, we would not get on a flight whilst positive (I know some can and do, but we would not). I just wasn't sure if you needed 10 days mandatory quarantine in Mexico vs. the new 5 days (obviously depends on if you still have symptoms and test positive, etc.) We are all fully vaccinated & Boosted for what it's worth. Probably N95 masks this time as well.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.