Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Figured this would happen since I just got my recovery certificate lol. Btw my health insurance company sent me a reimbursement check for the eMed tests. Took about a month after sending in the claim.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I suggest you save them until closer to their expiration date, as the requirement may come back in the fall....
Highly unlikely, just like the masks aren't coming back anytime soon.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Someone returning to the US early next week should plan on testing just to be sure. It might take a few days for the airlines to get the information disseminated, Timatic updated, various travel verification systems updated, etc.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:42 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
Every passenger will have an infected other passenger seating on their lap, is the new air transportation model for the summer...
1 in 70 people in England have had covid in the last week (and that’s ONS data, population sample, so accurate). So probably about 4 people per plane..
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Someone returning to the US early next week should plan on testing just to be sure. It might take a few days for the airlines to get the information disseminated, Timatic updated, various travel verification systems updated, etc.
My sister will be flying out on 6/12 so I would know first hand what the real situation would look like. Also, since the mask mandate repeal was announced by airlines so rapidly that they even broke the news while in the air, I expect airlines would also rapidly adjust to the testing repeal
seigex likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jun 10, 2022 at 9:41 am Reason: Redact OMNI comment; attribute quote to correct member
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:50 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
please use this thread for conversation on the end of testing

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...m-12-june.html
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.