Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Anbody making backup plans for Winter/Spring 2021-22?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anbody making backup plans for Winter/Spring 2021-22?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Did some research today. Disclaimer: these are mostly countries that I am interested in, don't take this as fact, do your own research, this is only accurate as of today, etc.

For South/East/Southeast Asia, these countries are open to tourists. Some are more complicated to enter than others:
  • Bangladesh, Cambodia, Mongolia, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea (with quarantine unless you can get an exception), Sri Lanka, Thailand
These are not:
  • Bhutan, Brunei, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Vietnam
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
A bunch of countries moved to CDC level 4 yesterday for Covid, interestingly, including the Philippines, when they are just re-opening....

CDC warns against travel to Mexico, 11 other countries (msn.com)
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:17 pm

The CDC ratings are useless. The CDC would have a “Level 4: Do not travel” to the USA if it was independent hahaha
CMK10, Statman, 84fiero and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Me too on both counts (though I have the Swiss pass). I sure hope they remove their 5-day quarantine requirement by then though.
The Netherlands will be removing the 5 day quarantine soon
https://www.traveloffpath.com/nether...with-boosters/
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gudugan
The CDC ratings are useless. The CDC would have a “Level 4: Do not travel” to the USA if it was independent hahaha
Getting “trapped” in country of citizenship/residence due to becoming a Covid-19 case is very different than being “trapped” in a visited foreign country due to becoming a Covid-19 case.

If the expense/inconvenience/nuisance of potentially being “stuck” “abroad” longer due to becoming a positive Covid-19 case is no big deal for a particular individual/couple/family/group, then perhaps the CDC ratings would be less useful than they are.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 31, 2022 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
A bunch of countries moved to CDC level 4 yesterday for Covid, interestingly, including the Philippines, when they are just re-opening....

CDC warns against travel to Mexico, 11 other countries (msn.com)
I don't give a flying you know what what the CDC has to say about my next vacation spot
That decision is driven solely and entirely by cost, ease of entry (the existence of hoops to jump through or lack thereof), ease of getting around, and interestingness of the destination in question.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Well the backup plan has now become the primary option for Spring Break - will take the kids for first time visits to DC/NY.

Still on the fence for the summer. I am not as much concerned about pandemic closures but see no benefit to buying now at the current prices. It's always a game of chicken with the airlines, and nobody has blinked yet.
nnn likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 2:58 pm

The countries in Asia I listed in #106 aren't that appealing to me at the moment. Maybe Singapore with the VTL lane but I really want to go to China/Japan/Hong Kong/South Korea (with no Quarantine).

Thinking Colombia/Chile/Argentina for the spring then Europe for summer again. Waiting for above mentioned countries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.