Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

U.K. Government response to the Omicron variant

U.K. Government response to the Omicron variant

Old Nov 27, 21, 12:16 pm
  #46  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,185
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Please also consider this post as a veiled suggestion to get your own podcast going. I'll support you on Patreon, no questions asked.
Thanks for the kind words, I'm not setting myself up as a media mogul in this space, I know my limitations. I must admit I do wonder about some of the sensationalism in this space - yes it's a wretched respiratory viral disease with some interesting quirks to it, but from an immunity and public health perspective is somewhat less interesting than influenza. So I'm careful not to feed the beast and try to stick to a reasonably moderate tone, but I think we are all capable of doing that. We just need to be a bit cautious until we know the facts, and luckily they should be forthcoming fairly quickly.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 12:55 pm
  #47  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Switzerland / Estonia
Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Posts: 5,759
Great. There goes our planned trip to London. HavenĎt been in over 1.5 years. This is mental.

Parkdesigner likes this.
florens is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 1:00 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SIN
Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
Vaccines were supposed to be our way out of pre-travel testing madness, so yeah, lets not move the goalposts every time a variant comes out. Otherwise you'll be sitting around in 2030 doing pretravel full health panel tests for seven different viruses. If people are vaccinated (which most are), there is no need to be super concerned about having covid.
The cases in SA with the new variant are mostly very mild cases according to their Health authorities
LonghornDXB is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 1:18 pm
  #49  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,185
Originally Posted by vanmunchen View Post
PCR test now required for U.K. arrivals but from when exactly? Iíve booked a rapid flow test for return on 1 December. Not much time to order a new test for home delivery.
That will require (yet another) amendment to the Statutory Instrument. One came out today to ensure Angola, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia are in scope for Red listing tomorrow, but no signs yet of the more substantive change needed for this. What they can do is give people a few days notice so they can get PCRs ordered, but allow NHS PCRs for anyone caught in the shorter time frame. But suffice to say that the digital ink will not be dry on the SI before the details get updated in either this thread or the UK Arrivals thread, both in the Coronavirus and travel forum.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 2:51 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
Even though the current vaccines (plus boosters) may not be effective against OMICRON, headlines about its existance may prod people who are fence sitters re getting vaccinated to take the plunge.
If one were sitting on the fence about getting vaccinated, wouldn't you wait a couple of weeks to see if the current vaccines work for Omnicron first?
LETTERBOY is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 3:20 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 464
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
If one were sitting on the fence about getting vaccinated, wouldn't you wait a couple of weeks to see if the current vaccines work for Omnicron first?
No, do not wait. Get vaccinated now.
doctoravios is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 3:39 pm
  #52  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,185
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
If one were sitting on the fence about getting vaccinated, wouldn't you wait a couple of weeks to see if the current vaccines work for Omnicron first?
Originally Posted by doctoravios View Post
No, do not wait. Get vaccinated now.
I hesitate to detract from the simple clarity of that important reply, but the logic is that vaccination does not have an immediate effect, it takes a period of time before the antibodies reach a meaningful level, and longer still until B and T cell priming becomes useful. The antibody stage is particularly quick with Pfizer (and presumably Moderna) and even after 10 days we see a fall off in hospitalisation in the elderly, those with immunity issues, and co-morbidities. And as a reminder, you have a co-morbidity if you get a common cold and then COVID or vice versa. For younger healthier people then B and T is the sort of thing that keeps COVID down to a short term nuisance, and there are unconfirmed reports that Omicron is having these sorts of impacts - less of the loss of taste, more of tiredness and temperatures. Either way you want antibodies, B and T in the right place and early vaccination gives you the best chance of developing an immune structure in a timely way. One of the most distressing things we have in healthcare is family members begging us to vaccinate very sick COVID-19 patients - we can't and it doesn't work.

Do not wait. Get vaccinated now.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 4:36 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
If one were sitting on the fence about getting vaccinated, wouldn't you wait a couple of weeks to see if the current vaccines work for Omnicron first?
Someone still sitting on the fence is presumably not convinced by science, so why would waiting a couple of weeks for more scientific evidence convince them? I'd expect that once that evidence arose they'd find some new conspiracy theory, etc to reassure themselves that the best thing is to delay further. Luckily for them others are getting vaccinated so they might just benefit from the vaccine programme anyway.
EsherFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 5:05 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer View Post
Someone still sitting on the fence is presumably not convinced by science, so why would waiting a couple of weeks for more scientific evidence convince them? I'd expect that once that evidence arose they'd find some new conspiracy theory, etc to reassure themselves that the best thing is to delay further. Luckily for them others are getting vaccinated so they might just benefit from the vaccine programme anyway.
People are varied and complex, and don't all think the same way. Nor are humans consistently as rational as we like to think we are. No, the hardcore anti-vaxxers won't ever change, but that surely doesn't describe everyone who is still not vaccinated. It's hard to know for certain what would change a given person's mind. But I wouldn't rule out that this news might prompt some number of the unvaccinated to go and get it. Probably not a lot, but any amount is progress.
84fiero is offline  
Old Nov 27, 21, 11:15 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Posts: 1,531
Originally Posted by doctoravios View Post
No, do not wait. Get vaccinated now.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Do not wait. Get vaccinated now.
I was vaccinated months ago, I was speaking theoretically.
LETTERBOY is offline  
Old Nov 28, 21, 2:15 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SW London
Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
But I wouldn't rule out that this news might prompt some number of the unvaccinated to go and get it. Probably not a lot, but any amount is progress.
That would indeed be a good thing. The question / reply above though was not in relation to them responding to "this news" if that means the new variant, but about them still continuing to wait for some "future news" about vaccine efficacy. I'm really not sure what news might convince them, but as you say maybe there will be some moment of realisation. I suspect that offering them a box of chocolates is more likely to sway them than scientific evidence though.
EsherFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 28, 21, 6:52 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by vanmunchen View Post
PCR test now required for U.K. arrivals but from when exactly? Iíve booked a rapid flow test for return on 1 December. Not much time to order a new test for home delivery.
Why not book an arrivals test at Heathrow? As of late yesterday there were plenty of slots and the results are available by 10pm the following day thereby limiting your 'isolation'. I arrive a few days after you and had no problem reserving a slot. Now just hope the e-gates are open!
dwugson is offline  
Old Nov 28, 21, 10:04 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Posts: 3,214
Sorry, I'm confused. Is it just a PCR required by day 2 or is it PCR required by day 2 AND quarantine until you have the negative results from that test? Please assume that the arrival is from the U.S. Thanks!
JNelson113 is offline  
Old Nov 28, 21, 10:13 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 9,730
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Sorry, I'm confused. Is it just a PCR required by day 2 or is it PCR required by day 2 AND quarantine until you have the negative results from that test? Please assume that the arrival is from the U.S. Thanks!
Self isolate from arrival, so the sooner the day two test is taken and negative the quicker you can release yourself
mikeyfly is offline  
Old Nov 28, 21, 10:21 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,297
Originally Posted by PxC View Post
Given the 10% infected on the Dutch flights yesterday, is it not insanity to let people pour into the U.K. and only then get tested, rather than pre arrival? Iíve just back from holiday and one of my group is positive on day 2, rather than finding out before travelling home. He actually tested positive on day 0
So 13 of these 60 or so have Omicron, is it reasonable to assume they were asymptomatic or mild symptoms otherwise they may not have felt well enough to fly, just a thought to add to the SA medics saying their cases were mild symptoms.
paulaf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread