Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

France to Hawaii and Covid Testing Requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond

Sorry for the long post, but I am asking for some advice on what I believe is a complicated matter. I am just 10 days away from my first significant trip in 18+ months. I'm British, based in the UK and fully vaxed with AZ. Got a trip planned mid Nov as follows: LHR-CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL and return over 7 days on BA and AA; I've got Global Entry. For the past week or so I have been working through all of the advice around Covid testing requirements to plan everything out well ahead of time. The biggest restriction appears to be getting an exemption for travel to Hawaii.

Below is where I have gotten to. I want to purchase as many tests as I can to do "at home" ahead of travel. Would be really good to get others thoughts and/or suggestions:
  1. Day 1 - LHR-CDG - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. I have been able to get Verifly to approve this flight already - I'll do the final checks again before heading to the airport on the day. No Covid testing required since I am fully vaxed. I've got the French Statement of Honour form ready to go. The French AntiCovid app set up as well (not that I will have any real use for it for the short time I will be in Paris). I'm staying overnight at CDG.
  2. Day 2 - CDG-LHR - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. All I'll need to do is fill in a Passenger Locator Form for entry back into the UK. Once completed (max 2 days before travel), I can upload the PDF into Verifly to get a green tick. There's a Day 2 testing requirement (which can be a Lateral Flow (LF) antigen test now) - I plan to get an "at home" LF test that I can perform when in the US - number 1.
  3. Day 2 - LHR-JFK - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. I need an "at home" LF test, so that's number 2 - I can do that one prior to my first flight. I've already prepared my US Attestation Form, so I just need to upload that into Verify to get a green tick. I'm staying overnight at JFK.
  4. Day 3 - JFK-LAX - flying with AA - will use the Verifly app. I'm fully vaxed so no explicit test required, although I can call on the LF test I took prior to my first flight if anyone asks. I've also completed an LA Traveller Form already on the travel.lacity.org website. I've made sure I have 6 hours available at LAX so that I can sort out any tests I need to do.
  5. Day 3 - LAX-HNL - flying with AA. This is where it seems to get a bit more complicated. Currently Hawaii doesn't accept UK vaccinations, so I need to get an exception based on a PCR test result. They are limited in the number of trusted testing partners and don't accept LF tests, so looks like the best approach is to take a rapid PCR test at LAX TBIT through Clarity Labs - got 6 hours to sort this so should be fine. I'll be able to upload the results into the Hawaii Safe Travels portal which should give me the relevant exception.
I'm in Honolulu for 2 nights and then heading home. Whilst there, I plan to take another "at home" LF test which will be number 3. I can use this as my Day 2 test for when I originally entered the UK on flight 2 on the outbound trip.

I think heading home should be easier - fewer restrictions:
  1. Day 5 - HNL-LAX - flying with AA - will use the Verifly app. Not sure I need anything specific since this flight is a domestic and there's no specific restrictions to get back onto the mainland (as far as I know). The mainland recognise my UK vaccination and I will have the LF test to rely on which I performed in Hawaii.
  2. Day 6 - LAX-JFK - flying with AA - will use the Verifly app. Same as above. No specific requirements, but I will have the LF test to rely on which I performed in Hawaii..
  3. Day 6 - JFK-LHR - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. As above, I'll need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form for entry back into the UK. Once completed (max 2 days before travel), I can upload the PDF into Verifly to get a green tick. There's another Day 2 testing requirement, so that's another "at home" LF test - number 4.
  4. Day 7 - LHR-CDG - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. Same as the outward trip, No Covid testing required since I am fully vaxed. I've got the Statement of Honour form ready to go. Coming back the same day.
  5. Day 7 - CDG-LHR - flying with BA - will use the Verifly app. As above, I'll need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form for entry back into the UK. Once completed (max 2 days before travel), I can upload the PDF into Verifly to get a green tick. Day 2 testing can be covered by the same LF test as in flight number 3 (JFK-LHR which is an overnight flight so arriving on Day 7).
So assuming that's all correct, I'll need 4 at home LF tests; The first I'll use just before my first flight (LHR-CDG); 2 of them I need to take with me and the final one will be used as my Day 2 test on my return. Looks like I can pick these up for between Ł20 and Ł25 each. The only other test is an expensive rapid test at Clarity Labs at LAX @ $199 to get me into Hawaii.

The only other thing I think is worth noting is that I'm printing all of my documentation out just in case I can't show them on my phone. That's my NHS vaccination evidence, any testing evidence and all the forms I need to fill in along the way.

If anyone has any corrections or ideas based on their experience I'll be grateful to hear from you. Again, apologies for the long post!
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:03 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hawaii *may* change their Safe Travels program on or after 8 November for non-US vaccinated travelers but under the current rules, you are correct that you will need a valid negative COVID test from a designated partner before you board your flight to HNL. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...travelers.html

There will be no testing required for a flight from HNL to the mainland/continental US.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
You, my friend, have done your due diligence.

Keeping up with the changes while travelling will be your main challenge! Sounds like the LAX-HNL PCR test will be your biggest hurdle besides exhaustion.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
There will be no testing required for a flight from HNL to the mainland/continental US.
There are also no testing or vaccination requirements for flights within the continental United States, so the OP need not be concerned about their JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK flights.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by billinghamn
The biggest restriction appears to be getting an exemption for travel to Hawaii.
If your trip is on or after 8 November, please note the new Hawaii Safe Travels policies as discussed here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ov-2021-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.