Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Vaccinated flights only suggestion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vaccinated flights only suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
If a person who was vaccinated was given the choice between two options that were about equal otherwise but one was all vaccinated and one wasn’t which would most people choose.
Most people wouldn't care. The two options won't be equal, there will always be differences in times, prices, etc. and people will pick whatever is more convenient for them.

At least here in Europe this idea never picked up (and I'm not talking just about the travel industry). It's very rare for businesses to require paperwork unless stipulated by law (and even then many choose to ignore it). It just doesn't make sense from the business perspective and the demand for such product is virtually non-existent.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This would only help the airline if they could charge more for the vaccinated flights or if the prospect of an all vaccinated flight were to encourage more people to fly or to fly more. However, most travelers simply pick the cheapest flight regardless of whether it involves a carrier with a bad reputation for service, reliability, or comfort.
It doesn’t work well unless it’s required. Require it to make more people get vaccinated. Also, travel spreads the pandemic this would help in that regard as well.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nd2010
I think airlines should have certain flights be designated as fully vaccinated flights in which everyone on board has to show proof of being vaccinated or a medical exception + negative test. In exchange, no one would need to wear a mask on board. Eventually increase the number of fully vaccinated flights to increase the price that the unvaccinated people have to pay.

Im vaccinated, I don’t want to wear a mask because so many idiots refuse the vaccine. I really don’t care if I have Coronavirus and unknowingly infect one of those unvaccinated idiots who refused the vaccine.
Agreed, and I would pay more for one of these flights.

Plus masking would be strictly enforced. Yes, I know that on planes, you are allowed to take off your mask when eating or drinking--but when someone eats or drinks for the entire flight, that circumvents that protection. No mas!

Originally Posted by the810
There is zero reason why already struggling airlines would like to limit who can travel with them.
Requiring vaccines could increase demand (not reduce it). I'm reluctant to fly because of the unvaccinated people who so. I'd take leisure trips now if I could be certain that everyone onboard was vaccinated.

See the NYC subway- the cautious vaccinated people in Manhattan are often scared to take it, due to the risks of being around unvaccinated, unmasked people.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 4, 2021 at 3:40 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Requiring vaccines could increase demand (not reduce it). I'm reluctant to fly because of the unvaccinated people who so. I'd take leisure trips now if I could be certain that everyone onboard was vaccinated.

See the NYC subway- the cautious vaccinated people in Manhattan are often scared to take it, due to the risks of being around unvaccinated, unmasked people.
I agree. There is zero reason for the government not to require vaccination to fly.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
If airlines want to try vaccinated-only flights, and they can find a market for that, more power to the airlines and the customers for such flights. But wow things degenerate quickly from there... the no-longer-so-closeted tyrants come out in force.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by tai4de2
If airlines want to try vaccinated-only flights, and they can find a market for that, more power to the airlines and the customers for such flights. But wow things degenerate quickly from there... the no-longer-so-closeted tyrants come out in force.
I’m saying the government should require it. No reason why they shouldn’t.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by tai4de2
I don't think there's anything tyrannical about it whatsoever, and that's from someone who is ardently opposed to lockdowns and sceptical of mask mandates (those that only require you to cover your nose and mouth with 'something' and not wear certified surgical/FFP2 masks that actually do something). Getting vaccinated is a widely-held civic duty. Members of Parliament across the world (and, lo, even the US Congress for that matter) who represent every hue of the political spectrum have recognised this, no matter their other differences. It's hardly tyrannical to expect the vast majority of society who are medically suited to vaccination to do the same. It's selfishness and stupid to do otherwise, and society shouldn't be compelled to tolerate the risks these people impose on others. Stopping people from doing things because they're not vaccinated is exceptionally different to forcing people to inject something into their body, which I'd never support. That's tyrannical.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
But there aren't many people like you, at least in Europe. Increasingly people just don't care anymore, except few countries such as France. US may be a bit different since the pandemic was handled a bit differently in media.

If the market existed, there would already be a product to serve that market.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you want to sell to somewhat more than half of the market or to the entire market? A first mover on this could lose a lot of customers, and if every competitor follows, one would anticipate that new companies would spring up to serve the excluded group.
Regulatory intervention to deal with real or perceived market failures is nothing new. It works to keep roads safer than would otherwise be the case; and it can work to keep other travel safer and more open than would be the case absent government involvement to level the playing field industry-wide and deal with the reality of market failure when it comes to pubic safety interests.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Regulatory intervention to deal with the market failures is nothing new. It works to keep roads safer than would otherwise be the case, and it can work to keep travel safer and more open than would otherwise be the case absent government involvement to level the playing field industry-wide and deal with the reality of market failure when it comes to pubic safety.
The debate is about airlines introducing them on their own. They already enforce it where required by law.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by the810
The debate is about airlines introducing them on their own. They already enforce it where required by law.
The debate is not just what you wish it to be. It’s about how the marketplace works and doesn’t work when it comes to public safety measures. Public safety measures need not just be introduced by airlines.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The debate is not just what you wish it to be. It’s about how the marketplace works and doesn’t work when it comes to public safety measures. Public safety measures need not just be introduced by airlines.
I suggest you read the first post in the thread to find out what we're talking about. And also the thread you're replying to - that post was about possibility of airlines introducing this on their own, therefore your comments on government interventions aren't relevant. Government regulations like this already exist.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OP
I think airlines should have certain flights be designated as fully vaccinated flights in which everyone on board has to show proof of being vaccinated or a medical exception + negative test.
There are different ways to get there. One way involves government intervention where market forces may not otherwise lead to superior public safety/health outcomes as immediately, if at all as widely as desired.
GadgetFreak likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 11:46 am

Pakistan as a country has now mandated vaccines for even domestic flights, including children over 12 or 15 something like that (with few medical exemptions)

The result is that lots of people crowd buses and trains now.

Why exactly are you worried about unvaccinated people? Being unvaccinated doesn't automatically make you a disease vector, and being vaccinated doesn't automatically make you immune from spreading covid.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 4, 2021 at 3:32 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:40 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I'm quite sure that there'd be a large take-up for vaccinated-only flights, but there's not much point in it unless there's some kind of guarantee that all the airline's employees are also vaccinated. And from the other side, I'm also sure that most airline employees would also feel more comfortable if they knew that all the pax on their flight were vaccinated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.