Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Converting the US CDC Vaccine card to EU Immunization Pass with QR Code

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
For getting the certificate online: There's currently no easy way. Previous methods below: It is also possible to do this in person. Please add below with the following data: Location, Address, Date of Conversion, Successful (yes/no)

Print Wikipost

Converting the US CDC Vaccine card to EU Immunization Pass with QR Code

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:44 am

I applied through the Swiss system ( https://www.covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign ) with my white CDC card and got my QR code in about 2 hours.

I did download the "Covid Cert" app and generated a "transfer code" which I included in my application, so the app got the certificate automatically. They also emailed me a PDF.
Replevin and jefftiger like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I got my booster shot last night and then did the Swiss-foreigner application. Uploaded my passport page and a Booking.com reservation with free cancelation. Took 12 hours for me to get the QR code on my app and that was probably because I applied in the PM MDT while the Swiss were (mostly) asleep. They emailed me a PDF, too.

Edited to add that I made the booking in Lucerne.
466SHH likes this.

Last edited by Nayef; Nov 4, 2021 at 2:54 am Reason: added canton
Old Nov 3, 2021, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
I applied through the Swiss system ( https://www.covidcertificate-form.admin.ch/foreign ) with my white CDC card and got my QR code in about 2 hours.

I did download the "Covid Cert" app and generated a "transfer code" which I included in my application, so the app got the certificate automatically. They also emailed me a PDF.
What Canton did yours come from? I got a rejection from Vaud who said I needed a signature and a stamp. My card has neither, just the Clinic Site that administered it, in my case my local county health department. I am wondering if I might have better luck if I stay somewhere else. I am flying into Geneva.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:28 am

I also applied (as a foreigner without domicile) and received my certificate in under 48 hours. It may have taken as long as it did because I applied in the middle of the night, Swiss time.

The location I gave was in Canton Ticino. The certificate itself states that it was issued by the Bundesamt für Gesundheit, and does not mention the canton.
466SHH likes this.

Last edited by Randomness; Nov 4, 2021 at 8:30 am Reason: Added detail about certificate.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:21 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Just a datapoint: The pharmacy at the Düsseldorf Hbf (Main station) has a counter set up just to do EU certs. Four of our group had theirs done there in a matter of minutes, including one who didn't have his physical CDC card but had his state QR code and info on his phone. I didn't do mine there as my Swiss Cert came thru the morning we arrived (Cert arrive Oct 18). All the codes loaded fine into Luca and the German Covpass apps. Two others in our group didn't get the EU certs and have had no issues in Düsseldorf or Bamberg. We head tomorrow to Berlin where I have heard some stories of places requiring QR does but we'll see.
Update on Berlin: Most places just glanced at the CovPass/Luca QR code or the CDC card, but a few places (I guess they were "2G") actually scanned the codes and asked for ID to compare. I asked what they would have done if I only had the CDC card. They said they would accept it if it was an original. I did see one place reject people with copies or cards that were laminated (I guess they couldn't tell if it was an original if laminated)
LETTERBOY and jefftiger like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:52 pm

Success

Originally Posted by threeoh
I applied through the Swiss system ( URL stricken from site since I am a new member - see threeoh's original post ) with my white CDC card and got my QR code in about 2 hours.

I followed exactly this processes for my wife and me today using our US CDC cards. We booked a flight and hotel into/in Zurich and submitted those documents. The applications were submitted around noon. We received our EU cert about two hours later both loaded into the app and an email with attached pdf.

I first tried the same process but using Geneva as my destination. The application seemed to be accepted and I received a web-site generated confirmation code immediately after submitting. They said a reply negative or positive would be received in 5 days. Six days passed without a response. Our flight is now in 7 days so I decided to try again but this time through Zurich. There were a couple of differences between the Geneva and Zurich experiences. First I had to (happily) pay 30e using Zurich as my destination. No payment was collected when I submitted using Geneva as my destination. Secondly, I had to check a box saying that I agreed that I would stay at least one night in Geneva when I submitted using Geneva for my destination. There was no such check box or mandatory agreement when I submitted using Zurich as my destination. Does anybody know if entry into Switzerland and where is monitored as it pertains to COVID vaccine certification? If I enter via Geneva instead of Zurich am I breaking the rules and in danger of loosing my certificate? What happens if I don't enter Switzerland at all? Our original reason for this trip was to visit friends in Annecy France. Flight pricing has changed to the point where cheaper travel means are now available without traveling through Switzerland. We have other up coming intra-EU travel and can easily include a trip to Zurich to stay there for a night or two. I am very grateful to Switzerland for providing our EU COVID certs. For context we are US citizens living in Portugal on a path to Portuguese residency but we are not yet to the point in the immigration process where Portugal will provide a EU COVID cert for us.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by NeilQ
Does anybody know if entry into Switzerland and where is monitored as it pertains to COVID vaccine certification?
This seems exceedingly unlikely. You could always use your CDC card for entry and digital cert at restaurants, etc.

If I enter via Geneva instead of Zurich am I breaking the rules and in danger of loosing my certificate?
I don't think there is a mechanism for revoking certificates. And a change of travel plans is not against the rules. And you could enter via Geneva planning to stay in Zurich.

What happens if I don't enter Switzerland at all...
I think you're overthinking this. I wouldn't lie on the application, but once you have a certificate I think you can relax.

Originally Posted by 466SHH
What Canton did yours come from?
LU
466SHH and NeilQ like this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just applied for myself and the wife. We just got our boosters so I wasn't sure what to put down for doses required vs received. I just did 2 and 2 even though the booster was our third shot.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic, but outside of using the pass for venues/restaurants/hotels, is this the same pass that can be used as proof for travel? I didn't see much mention of whether airlines like LH or LX will accept this at check-in (if the destination country indicates a vaccine passport or proof of vaccination is sufficient)? TIA!
Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by chongl
Just applied for myself and the wife. We just got our boosters so I wasn't sure what to put down for doses required vs received. I just did 2 and 2 even though the booster was our third shot.

Pardon my ignorance on this topic, but outside of using the pass for venues/restaurants/hotels, is this the same pass that can be used as proof for travel? I didn't see much mention of whether airlines like LH or LX will accept this at check-in (if the destination country indicates a vaccine passport or proof of vaccination is sufficient)? TIA!
The airlines will accept the EU compliant certificates. The reason to eventually get the third dose added is due to their limitations on the vaccine. In some places the vaccine dose is accepted for only one year. So effectively, your ability to access some locations could be up to one year from the effective date of your third dose.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:42 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
The airlines will accept the EU compliant certificates. The reason to eventually get the third dose added is due to their limitations on the vaccine. In some places the vaccine dose is accepted for only one year. So effectively, your ability to access some locations could be up to one year from the effective date of your third dose.
I waited until I had my third dose before applying for the certificate. It now shows 363 days of validity after the third dose (not sure why it's 363 instead of 365).
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Just adding to this with my experience in Germany:

The apotheke at the main train station in Hannover wouldn't verify or validate a vaccination outside of Germany. I found one nearby, but in an un-touristy area east of the station, who did though. They gave me two prinouts - one per shot - each containing its own QR code. I scanned those into the Swiss COVID Check app, got the green checkmark, and was able to use that for the rest of the trip.

This was about a month ago.
Xyzzy and jefftiger like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by 18sas
Just adding to this with my experience in Germany:

The apotheke at the main train station in Hannover wouldn't verify or validate a vaccination outside of Germany. I found one nearby, but in an un-touristy area east of the station, who did though. They gave me two prinouts - one per shot - each containing its own QR code. I scanned those into the Swiss COVID Check app, got the green checkmark, and was able to use that for the rest of the trip.

This was about a month ago.
I had a similar experience in Hamburg. The first apotheke I walked into took my CDC card and gave me tw printouts (one per shot). I could not find or install the German app on my US Android phone, but the Swiss app was easy to find and it worked fine.
18sas and jefftiger like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I had a similar experience in Hamburg. The first apotheke I walked into took my CDC card and gave me tw printouts (one per shot). I could not find or install the German app on my US Android phone, but the Swiss app was easy to find and it worked fine.
When you scan the multiple QR codes into the Swiss (or other EU) app, do you end up with a single integrated certificate with one QR code accounting for all of the shots?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jefftiger
When you scan the multiple QR codes into the Swiss (or other EU) app, do you end up with a single integrated certificate with one QR code accounting for all of the shots?
Excellent question!

In the Swiss app have two QR codes, each with my name and birth date.
  • ne says "EVIDENCE" above and "Does not meet the validity Criteria for Switzerland" below. The detail says "VACCINATION INCOMPLETE" and "1/2 Dose".
  • The other says "COVID CERTIFICATE" and "Only valid in combination with an identity document" and on the detail page it says the validity date (expires 1yr from 2nd dose) as well as "VACCINATION" and "2/2 Dose".
jefftiger likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 9, 2021 at 4:24 pm
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: A bunch
Is there an updated wiki for how to obtain the Swiss code, with links to the required apps/sites, i.e. the app for the transfer code etc?
I’m trying to enter info into their central system. They require an address and I’ve tried addresses for a few hotels but all the zip codes I’m entering are rejected as invalid, e.g. Zurich 8058 (airport), 8040… I’m not sure how to get around it.
Also, do you need to enter both both hotel and flight info or is there a way to avoid the hotel zip code altogether?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.