Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Countries not caring about covid or airlines not requiring masks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Countries not caring about covid or airlines not requiring masks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by VRFast
Maybe a personal question, which you don't have to answer, but I have to ask. How do you get into Norway, assuming you're not a EU citizen (perhaps a bad assumption)? Testing negative and do a quarantine, or did they open up? I'm a US citizen with most of my family there but currently I can't get in, from what I understand.
I am a US citizen. Do homework friend.

Start with TIMATIC and Norwegian government website.

Not being ugly, motivating you to "learn to fish".

Come back and tell us what you find...

PS- helpful clue, research EU Covid Cert app.
VRFast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 7:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Maybe a personal question, which you don't have to answer, but I have to ask. How do you get into Norway, assuming you're not a EU citizen (perhaps a bad assumption)? Testing negative and do a quarantine, or did they open up? I'm a US citizen with most of my family there but currently I can't get in, from what I understand.
https://no.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

You could try to get the French to take your CDC card remotely to generate a Covid pass for use with the TousAntiCovid app.

Norway is in that way open to vaccinated Americans and Brits.
VRFast likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 22, 2021 at 7:38 am
Old Sep 22, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
From the crowds in the main retail drags in Malmö, Copenhagen and Stockholm today, crowds are behaving pretty much like it’s this time of the year in 2019. There are some occasional mask sightings far and between in places, but it’s below even 1/200 people.
I might go as far as 1/1000. A store told me the other day they had taken the glass barrier just the day before. It’s like a bad cold gone and forgotten. It’s not until you get together with people you know well that a sense of some cracks in the public full-scale suppression is present.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
I am a US citizen. Do homework friend.

Start with TIMATIC and Norwegian government website.

Not being ugly, motivating you to "learn to fish".

Come back and tell us what you find...

PS- helpful clue, research EU Covid Cert app.
That was my next step since it seems to be feasible from what you're saying. I have no plans to go this year, but next year, yes indeed. Last time I looked a month or two ago, very stringent rules, basically a no for Americans, even when trying to enter via Sweden and Denmark.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by the810
Except that they also plummeted here in Sweden, where pretty much no one wore masks throughout the pandemic.

It seems other interventions than masks are a cause of this.
That's correct. The studies cited by the other person are meaningless propaganda for masks. They look at droplets and use modelling, which you can skew as you like. The issue is aerosols and 97% of droplets in aerosols emitted by humans are smaller than 1 micron. In a dry, cold climate without wind (e.g. indoors) you can actually pick up the aerosols some time after they were emitted into space.

There is also the theory that SARSCOV-2 has displaced the influenza viruses by being more virulent. This competition between respiratory viruses exists. There ties into the theory that influenza displaced coronaviruses in 1918 starting with H1N1, and that coronaviruses dominated before in the 19th century. This ties into the "Russian flu" of 1890 actually being the OC43 coronavirus that jumped from a bovine source (proposed as a result of genomic tracing by researchers at KU Leuven in 2006), and as a novel virus had similar effect, killing lots of old, frail people, as the current "endemic", as I prefer to call it. The four common cold coronaviruses are believed to be relatively uncommon (10%) causes of common colds, but nobody quite knows because it has not been a topic of interest. They generally cause "bad" colds. In 2003, OC43 killed 8% of the residents of a nursing home in Vancouver and there was a panic because the authorities first that it was SARS-1 until they did testing to identify the virus.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Your best plan is to go via Denmark because the nordic countries are open to each other, so there should be no controls into NO once you make into DK. Until recently, haven't check for about 3 weeks, an American should be able to enter DK. Also if you fly SAS lounghaul then it is the most common way to enter the region via CPH. It varies from year to year, but OSL often does not have a direct flight on SAS from EWR.
LoungeLizardHugo and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
Your best plan is to go via Denmark because the nordic countries are open to each other, so there should be no controls into NO once you make into DK. Until recently, haven't check for about 3 weeks, an American should be able to enter DK. Also if you fly SAS lounghaul then it is the most common way to enter the region via CPH. It varies from year to year, but OSL often does not have a direct flight on SAS from EWR.
Are you sure this is the case? Sweden indeed has a policy that anyone arriving from Nordic countries is free to enter under normal rules but I believe they are the only one and the rest applies their covid policy even for Nordic arrivals.
​​​​​
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by the810
Are you sure this is the case? Sweden indeed has a policy that anyone arriving from Nordic countries is free to enter under normal rules but I believe they are the only one and the rest applies their covid policy even for Nordic arrivals.
​​​​​
I am an American in (rainy) Oslo via CPH, right now, as I type. Do your homework, read the respective countries government websites and read carefully through the multitude of exceptions. Use IATA/TIMATIC. Things change, confirm current rules.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I am an American in (rainy) Oslo via CPH, right now, as I type. Do your homework, read the respective countries government websites and read carefully through the multitude of exceptions. Use IATA/TIMATIC. Things change, confirm current rules.
I believe that you posted in another thread that you booked a separate flight from CPH-OSL which is the loophole to avoiding quarantine from your SFO-CPH flight to OSL. Don't want other readers to think this was allowed...
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
I believe that you posted in another thread that you booked a separate flight from CPH-OSL which is the loophole to avoiding quarantine from your SFO-CPH flight to OSL. Don't want other readers to think this was allowed...
Not sure how your post was meant, hard to tell when written and not heard. But the way I read it it implies what I did was wrong in some form or fashion.

I booked a flight from USA to Denmark. I then booked a separate side trip to Norway.

Let me clear- I followed the laws of Denmark and Norway to the letter. I exploited no "loophole". Everything I did was 100% legal and above-board. My documents were authentic and valid. My verbal disclosures were 100% honest and truthful. The door was open and I walked through it, nothing more, nothing less. What I did was absolutely "allowed" because I followed all laws and I did it.

I am under attack in a different thread for not conforming to what appears to me to be some unwritten dogma that must be followed on FT, so am in no mood to have my factual, honest and ethical behaviour called into question.
gnaget, Pirrito, 84fiero and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
… I followed the laws of Denmark and Norway to the letter. … ethical behaviour …
​​​​​​
It appears the perceived gap between letter and spirit is likely to narrow over time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidni...o-open-border/
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
​​​​​​
It appears the perceived gap between letter and spirit is likely to narrow over time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidni...o-open-border/
Yes.

“Loophole to avoiding quarantine” in which country? In Denmark, in Norway, or in both?

Norway has some kind of quarantine exemption in place that is tied to being recognized as “fully vaccinated”.

Denmark seems fine with “fully vaccinated” Americans running around town.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes.

“Loophole to avoiding quarantine” in which country? In Denmark, in Norway, or in both?

Norway has some kind of quarantine exemption in place that is tied to being recognized as “fully vaccinated”.

Denmark seems fine with “fully vaccinated” Americans running around town.
I read yesterday that you had to have been coming from a green country or stayed there for 10 days prior to entering Norway to avoid quarantine, but can't seem to find it now (maybe on a us site?). The official Norway site reference the colors and indicates it makes a difference in rules, of which the US is not listed, and then no rules to go with them! But it does say that fully vaccinated do not need to quarantine, so all good. Apologies if I misunderstood.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: Various
I read yesterday that you had to have been coming from a green country or stayed there for 10 days prior to entering Norway to avoid quarantine, but can't seem to find it now (maybe on a us site?). The official Norway site reference the colors and indicates it makes a difference in rules, of which the US is not listed, and then no rules to go with them! But it does say that fully vaccinated do not need to quarantine, so all good. Apologies if I misunderstood.
Fully vaccinated means vaccinated in the EU or UK. For the rest of the World see below, The countries included in the digital scheme are all on this side of the Atlantic.

Some countries outside the EU are approved as part of the EU digital COVID certificate scheme. Norway accepts COVID-19 certificates from these countries. You can find out which countries this applies to on their website (external website). On this page, you will find a map showing which countries are approved as part of the EU's digital scheme. Please note that it may take some time for the map to load.

If you come from a country outside the EU/EEA/Schengen that is not approved as part of the EU scheme, your COVID-19 certificate will not be accepted as documentation.
So far, 16 non-EU countries (and territories) joined the EU Digital COVID Certificate system. This includes:
• Albania
• Andorra
• Switzerland
• Faroe Islands
• Israel
• Iceland
• Liechtenstein
• Morocco
• Monaco
• North Macedonia
• Norway
• Panama
• San Marino
• Turkey
• Ukraine
• The Vatican
https://www.udi.no/en/about-the-coro...en/#link-28938
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 12:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Fully vaccinated means vaccinated in the EU or UK. For the rest of the World see below, The countries included in the digital scheme are all on this side of the Atlantic.

https://www.udi.no/en/about-the-coro...en/#link-28938
“Fully vaccinated” covers more than just those indicated there. It also includes those vaccinated in other parts of the world — including the US — who manage to get one or more of the above-indicated countries to issue a vaccine certification on the basis that an EU/EEA country or other listed country chooses for itself in determining who is “fully vaccinated”.

By the way, Norway has all year allowed in contingents of vaccinated US military personnel (and often relatives/dependents), and generally they have only the CDC vaccination card as readily portable proof of vaccination.
84fiero and LoungeLizardHugo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.