Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Austria Imposes Expiration of Valid "Vaccinated Status"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP

Austria has added some fine print to their vaccination requirements. They have put a 270 day time limit on the number of days since the second vaccination (or first for Jannsen) prior to entry without being subject to quarantine. Something to be particularly aware of, particularly if you are traveling soon and were vaccinated early.
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:03 pm

I believe that they have always had this requirement, or maybe it was only Switzerland that had it before. It was extended from 180 days to 270 days a few months ago, right when we were coming up 180 days since vaccinations started en masse. Definitely worth considering seeking out a booster if you are getting close. Fortunately, most of the people who received the early doses (elderly/immunocompromised/healthcare employees) have recently become eligible for an official booster in the USA, so they do not need to lie to get it. I know some hospitals in my area will start giving their employees boosters very shortly.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We really need to stop denying that "vaccine passports" are going to exist and come up with a clear system for international travel that allows individuals to document their vaccinations, and countries to specify authoritatively what the requirements are. Every country is coming up with their own requirements, which are constantly changing. This is going to be the case for the next 2+ years, if not forever, with new vaccination requirements for other diseases added into the mix. Expecting people to google 20 different websites up to and including the day of travel to figure out what the requirements are is crazy.
Tiramisu, MDTyKe, jmw and 14 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA SILVER
Switzerland is one year after the second dose, three months more than Austria
Old Sep 8, 2021, 8:12 pm

Croatia is 270 days as well.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: Skywards, QF FF
This isn't new. I travelled to Austria in early July and the time limit was in place then.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Doppy
We really need to stop denying that "vaccine passports" are going to exist and come up with a clear system for international travel that allows individuals to document their vaccinations, and countries to specify authoritatively what the requirements are. Every country is coming up with their own requirements, which are constantly changing. This is going to be the case for the next 2+ years, if not forever, with new vaccination requirements for other diseases added into the mix. Expecting people to google 20 different websites up to and including the day of travel to figure out what the requirements are is crazy.

Couldn't agree more! I've got a trip planned in the spring of 2022 with stopovers in at least 4 countries and layovers in an additional 2. I haven't even begun to research on requirements as its still 6 months out and who in the world knows what they will come up with next, I'm literally dreading it. I'd rather fly on Allegiant from LAX to SIN in basic economy than start this research.

In the end its my decision to travel, but the world needs to move on.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
For international travel ICAO can and should manage the harmonization across all countries under ICAO PKD (ePassports verification)
The papers please stuff for day to day stuff i.e. going to a restaurant is a bit tricky
Old Sep 9, 2021, 4:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by tpsmith82
Couldn't agree more! I've got a trip planned in the spring of 2022 with stopovers in at least 4 countries and layovers in an additional 2. I haven't even begun to research on requirements as its still 6 months out and who in the world knows what they will come up with next, I'm literally dreading it. I'd rather fly on Allegiant from LAX to SIN in basic economy than start this research.

In the end its my decision to travel, but the world needs to move on.
Totally agree. The only way I have been able to combat this is by doing everything extremely last minute (less than one week out) and checking all of the requirements constantly. Could not imagine trying to do that in advance.

I am sort of worried about this because I wanted to go to Austria in early 2022 and by then it will be past 270 days. I already have 2x vaccine but am not super excited about getting another just to satisfy some arbitrary government restrictions. I am not in a high risk group etc.
tpsmith82 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 5:17 am

if anyone is interested--I'm in a study where I get the antigen test every two months and I got my second Pfizer shot in March and as of yesterday I still am producing antibodies to covid. And I'm on a immunosuppressant. Proof the vaccinations work I believe.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by rebadc
For international travel ICAO can and should manage the harmonization across all countries under ICAO PKD (ePassports verification)
The papers please stuff for day to day stuff i.e. going to a restaurant is a bit tricky
The EU actually made a good start there already. The data format they defined is very flexible, and thus would not be an issue for ICAO to adopt or extend, and they started with creating a central "trust anchor" that other parties can link to. North America could set up their own trust anchor, and them arrange for reciprocal recognition with the EU.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent news and finally following the science.

This is why I reject the use of "fully vaccinated" as meaningless. As is now shown, vaccines are valid for 270 days max. Moreover, the vaccine is not enough, neither are masks. You need boosters. I'm thinking something like one booster every 90 days to be as safe as possible and as mentioned, the framework is already there to allow travel only for those who are up-to-date with their boosters and your digital vaccine card can easily reflect that.

People need to understand, one (Johnson) or two doses of the vaccine is only the beginning in the fight against Covid. Like the unvaccinated now, those resisting boosters will be the ones causing further lockdowns and immense pressure on the healthcare systems.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
...those resisting boosters
You mean Ghebreyesus and his ilk, right?
Tiramisu likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
I wonder if you have had a booster (3rd dose ) how that is handled?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
... how that is handled?
It's very easy to get right now in the US (at least in my area). If anyone is interested, I'd recommend getting it before the feds step in with their rules and qualifications. All physicians I talked to recommend Moderna over Pfizer for effectiveness against Delta and Mu. IME the 3d dose was more painful than the first two, but the reaction only lasted half a day.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.