Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Old Dec 18, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gojko88
Where you transit afterwards is of no practical consequence.
This can be plainly wrong sometimes. Transit countries may impose additional or stricter requirements than the destination ones. When traveling, one always need to check rules of :
- the airlines flown (a few impose a test whatever the destination. EK has been in this category, don’t know if still the case)
- the departing country (some countries may impose compelling reason to leave)
- the transit country
- and of course the destination country

I can give you a concrete example that I experienced a year ago during the NY period. I travelled from France to Tanzania on KL via AMS. Neither Tanzania nor France were requiring a test at that time. But a few days before my return trip, the Netherlands required a PCR test <72hrs even for transit pax. And a few weeks after they even requested an additional antigen test <4hrs on top of the PCR. Total madness but true.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It's your point of departure that sets the rules for entry. In your example, the SFO staff would verify your compliance with Finnish entry rules before they let you board the flight from SFO. Where you transit afterwards is of no practical consequence.
That's not universally true. Some countries (Sweden for example, in my personal experience) only look at where you're directly entering their country from regardless of initial starting point. Others consider everywhere you've been, even in transit, along the way. And other methodologies. You really have to carefully look at the rules from beginning to end of journey including transit rules as the other post noted.

Not familiar with Finland so I can't comment on that specifically
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:11 am

Programs: Some
Greece is now doing one better - not just mandatory testing for all arrivals, but it has to be a PCR too. I've promptly cancelled my planned NYE trip to Athens and will be travelling domestically in Italy instead. This is pure fuel to the fire for the anti-vaxx population, good luck with those booster shot campaigns.
The idea that the main thing anti-vaxxers care about is being able to travel internationally is a bit hilarious, TBH. The people on FT who seem to think being vaccinated should automatically make them exempt from all rules are a problem too, by the way, the science is pretty clear now that being vaccinated doesn’t stop you spreading either Delta or Omicron.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
This can be plainly wrong sometimes.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
That's not universally true.
Perhaps I was imprecise with my post - I meant that where you transit afterwards is of no practical consequence regarding the entry rules of the destination country for the point of origin, because the onus is on airline staff at the point of departure to check your compliance and they will do it based on the final destination. I never meant to imply that transit countries aren't able to impose additional requirements (like Portugal is doing now, for example), or that transiting anywhere is fine (as evidenced by the recently removed US ban on Schengen transit).

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The idea that the main thing anti-vaxxers care about is being able to travel internationally is a bit hilarious, TBH.
I can assure you that in Serbian and Italian media (that I follow), every article about how countries are imposing the same travel restrictions on both vaccinated and unvaccinated pax is flooded with dozens of comments by anti-vaxxers saying that vaccination makes even less sense now. It's a silly argument, but it's happening anyhow. There was a social contract of sorts saying that being responsible and getting vaccinated will enable you to live normally again, and that contract has now been broken. I will not further expand on this for fear of going into OMNI territory.

Last edited by gojko88; Dec 19, 2021 at 2:18 am
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
the onus is on airline staff at the point of departure to check your compliance and they will do it based on the final destination .
its really a ridiculous practice when countries at airport security entry and passport control dont check your vaccination/test status at departure and upon arrival and instead leave it up to private airline companies exclusively.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 3:59 am

True, but in a sense I'm grateful this is the case because whenever I was subject to additional controls on arrival these two years, it just caused a meltdown and people were standing on top of each other basically, making for a far riskier experience in terms of contagion than any actual measures.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
it’s really a ridiculous practice when countries at airport security entry and passport control don’t check your vaccination/test status at departure and upon arrival and instead leave it up to private airline companies exclusively.
Actually that's a good thing because a) it prevents you from landing some place that you're not allowed to enter based on your documentation (this being the reason airlines already do doc checks for visas and such) and b) it distributes the checking to many, many more people preventing lines at the destination airport and c) given reason a, it means you only get checked once at departure (ignoring occasional spot checks) instead of twice or more.

So far as I'm concerned all countries should work this way.
JNelson113, Xyzzy, Statman and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
its really a ridiculous practice when countries at airport security entry and passport control dont check your vaccination/test status at departure and upon arrival and instead leave it up to private airline companies exclusively.
Out of 3 trips Ive been asked twice for my vaccination documentation by immigration at CDG.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:34 am

France is a special case. Virtually everywhere else the airline is the only party doing a thorough check of the documentation, especially for intra-EU travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.