Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Old Sep 4, 21, 1:49 am

Programs: DL PM
Hi guys, I just got past transit in AMS from ATL 9/3-9/4
I had quarantine declaration and health form in hand. Not once did they ask for those. Not in preboarding in ATL, not through passport control in AMS, not through boarding the next flight. They just looked at my boarding pass (must have physical copy), passport and the good old CDC card.

things may change by 9/6, of course. But so far no problemo
Old Sep 4, 21, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So far Holland is the only country to put a quarantine for vaccinated Americans. I wonder who else will follow and how soon. Ugh.
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Sep 4, 21, 8:48 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
So far Holland is the only country to put a quarantine for vaccinated Americans. I wonder who else will follow and how soon. Ugh.
It looks like Sweden is the most restrictive so far in that no Americans (vaccinated or unvaccinated) are allowed in for non-essential purposes. Then comes the Netherlands which still allows vaccinated Americans in but with testing and a minimum 5 day quarantine…
enviroian, Owenc and DrinkSlinger like this.
Old Sep 4, 21, 9:14 am

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
It looks like Sweden is the most restrictive so far in that no Americans (vaccinated or unvaccinated) are allowed in for non-essential purposes.
Various exemptions are in place such as

"Entry from Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway is not subject to any entry restrictions.”

or something like "have close family ties as specified in” ...

https://www.government.se/articles/2...ban-to-sweden/

So if you’re an American married to say a Dane, you can enter Denmark and subsequently Sweden. There’s some room for your imagination.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 4, 21, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Silver), Hilton Diamond, Caesars Diamond
Agree. The terminology used in this thread is very imprecise. For example, many posters are using “American” to mean a US citizen traveling from America. In the Sweden example, a Swedish citizen traveling from US is allowed in. So is a US citizen traveling from the EU with proper test/vaccine/recovery documentation.
DrinkSlinger likes this.
Old Sep 4, 21, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta View Post
It looks like Sweden is the most restrictive so far in that no Americans (vaccinated or unvaccinated) are allowed in for non-essential purposes. Then comes the Netherlands which still allows vaccinated Americans in but with testing and a minimum 5 day quarantine…
I am flying to from LAX to ARN via ZRH on Monday September 6th. I am an American citizen. 48 hour test from time of landing is the only requirement to get in published on the airline site and Swedish police site. By the letter of the policy it should be 72 hours due to the transit in ZRH.

From Swedish Police Site: https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

Entry from a non-EEA* country (incl. the UK)

The following categories do not need to get tested after arrival to Sweden:
  • have travelled inside the Nordics
  • is vaccinated with one dose at least three weeks prior to arrival in Sweden
  • has had covid-19 during the last six months
  • has received two vaccine doses
  • has presented a negative test for entry to Sweden
  • children under six years old.
You should, however, get tested like everyone else if you develop symptoms of covid-19.
Old Sep 4, 21, 4:02 pm

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
The inconsistency between different EU countries is really frustrating.
Old Sep 4, 21, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by DFW_CK View Post
I am flying to from LAX to ARN via ZRH on Monday September 6th. I am an American citizen. 48 hour test from time of landing is the only requirement to get in published on the airline site and Swedish police site. By the letter of the policy it should be 72 hours due to the transit in ZRH.

From Swedish Police Site: https://polisen.se/en/the-swedish-po...d-from-sweden/

Entry from a non-EEA* country (incl. the UK)

The following categories do not need to get tested after arrival to Sweden:
  • have travelled inside the Nordics
  • is vaccinated with one dose at least three weeks prior to arrival in Sweden
  • has had covid-19 during the last six months
  • has received two vaccine doses
  • has presented a negative test for entry to Sweden
  • children under six years old.
You should, however, get tested like everyone else if you develop symptoms of covid-19.
Are you covered by an exemption?
mpkz likes this.
Old Sep 4, 21, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by PMFR View Post
Passengers entering Italy are currently needed to complete a Passenger Locator Form via the EUdPLF application (https://app.euplf.eu/).

Information for travelers with Italy as destination country:
  • All passengers wishing to enter Italy, via all means of transportation, will be required to complete the digital PLF (https://app.euplf.eu), prior to entering the country.
  • Domestic flights do not need dPLF
  • One form must be completed for each adult passenger; accompanied minors can be registered on the form of the accompanying adult. In the case of unaccompanied minors, the dPLF must be completed by the parent or legal guardian before departure.
  • Check the Italian Ministry of Health for further information:
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto
Good to note the "one form per adult passenger"; I first added my wife as "Travel Companion" with her age but wondered why they didn't ask for much more about her. Should she still be on my form so our records are linked?
Old Sep 4, 21, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
This is what I was thinking.. If not, the fact that passengers from ZRH are not checked might not help much, the airline could deny boarding in the US
Old Sep 4, 21, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Tom - you are right; I am not covered by an exemption. My bad for not reading it plus I just saw a bunch of announcements from yesterday that, as of 9/6, US are persona non grata in Sweden.

My LX checklist still shows a go but they are probably behind in catching up.
Old Sep 4, 21, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DFW_CK View Post
Tom - you are right; I am not covered by an exemption. My bad for not reading it plus I just saw a bunch of announcements from yesterday that, as of 9/6, US are persona non grata in Sweden.

My LX checklist still shows a go but they are probably behind in catching up.
So as long as the Swedish ban doesn't change, you technically are allowed entry since you're stopping in ZRH first.

Will non-EEA* citizens be allowed to enter Sweden from another EEA* country, e.g. France or Norway?

Regardless of citizenship, foreigners travelling from another EU country, a country that is part of the EEA, or from Switzerland, need to present the EU Covid Certificate or equivalent, but other entry bans are not in effect.

No entry ban is in effect or EU Covid Certificate or equivalent is required when travelling directly from Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway.

EEA*

= EEA countries include Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Spain.

Switzerland, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino and the Vatican is not part of the EEA, but is included in the term EEA* on this page. Their citizens are included in the term EEA*-citizen.

From January 1st 2021 UK citizens need to be covered by an exemption in order to be allowed to enter Sweden.
Having said that you technically could run into issues with the person at the airport not understanding the rules and wrongfully denying you boarding.
Old Sep 4, 21, 11:16 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger View Post
The inconsistency between different EU countries is really frustrating.
To ask a dumb question, and without suggesting any illegality, what prevents someone flying into Belgium and taking the train to the Netherlands?
Old Sep 4, 21, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by arisaa View Post
To ask a dumb question, and without suggesting any illegality, what prevents someone flying into Belgium and taking the train to the Netherlands?
I have not been to the Netherlands, but I have experienced that some EU countries have set up and continue to operate “COVID controls” at locations where there’s substantial incoming travel, even if it’s all from within the EU/EEA. This isn’t full border controls; it’s generally just a quick check to be sure that you comply with all applicable regulations. Whether or not they’re doing that with trains that arrive into the Netherlands right now, I have no clue.

Schengen countries continue to retain the rights to set up border controls, manage who is allowed to be present in their countries, enforce their immigration laws, etc. The Schengen treaty just says that during normal circumstances, they voluntarily do not do this in many circumstances.
mildfrequence and DL77 like this.
Old Sep 5, 21, 12:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Just if it eases anyone's mind... typing this from the LH Senator Lounge at FRA awaiting the LX flight to GVA.

No issues whatsoever so far. LH staff at ORD did the document check as usual but also asked for the vaccination card that they took at best a cursory look at (mine is paperclipped to inside back cover of my passport and they didn't even flip it over).

UA in CLE couldn't issue a BP for the LX segment -- assumed that LX would want to verify Swiss entry documentation before issuing a BP -- but at the transfer desk in FRA they didn't look at anything besides the "THIS IS NOT A BOARDING PASS" card UA issued.

German Border police didn't even look at the vaccination card -- just the typical "final destination" and "how long" questions.

LH did want to see the vaccination card and had us fill out a contact tracking card for access to the SEN lounge.

No one has asked to see the Swiss passenger locator confirmation so far... there's still one more segment for things to go sideways but so far I am much more relieved than I was 12 hours ago.

Search this Thread