Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Looking at the bright side, viageseccuri now seems to indicate that US visitors arriving via UK needs to do an additional test but need not quarantine for 5 days. Do others agree with this read or have other information?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Silver; Bonvoy Plat
Update on continued fallout from EU Commission reccommendation:

NEWS: The Netherlands will require U.S. travelers -- regardless of vaccination status -- to quarantine for 10 days upon arrival. Travelers can shorten the quarantine by testing negative on the 5th day.

The Netherlands travel website has been updated to reflect this - will go into effect September 4 00:01 local time. Transiting passengers are exempt from the quarantine restrictions.

Additionally, testing requirements are more stringent - coming from a very high risk country need either a) PCR test within 48 hours or b)Antigen test within 24 hours of departure.

Last edited by mannytabloid; Sep 3, 2021 at 8:04 am
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:25 am

Ugh, I leave for Austria in a few hours and I’m pretty sure I’ll slip in just in time if they change their requirements (guessing any announcement would take effect Sunday at the earliest). But my trip ends in Munich and who knows what Germany will do between now and my arrival there. Hopefully I could still get into Germany to at least get to the airport because I fly out of MUC.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Would anyone like to reply? I was hopeful to get a little bit of direction. Thanks in advance
As far as I know, when you transit in ZRH, they could ask you to show proof that you can enter Spain (that you can satisfy Spain’s requirements). Later on if you transit and stay overnight in FRA, it shouldn’t be a problem as long as you satisfy all the German requirements (no idea if there are any checks for covid on Schengen-Schengen flights after you entered the schengen area). But your best bet is to periodically look up individual country requirements on IATA’s site every few days and check the updated requirements if any, especially a few days before your flights to see if you’ll need to take a PCR test (requirements to layover/transit in Switzerland and requirements to stay in Spain and Germany, in this case). Your mileage may vary, of course.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mannytabloid

The Netherlands travel website has been updated to reflect this - will go into effect September 4 00:01 local time. Transiting passengers are exempt from the quarantine restrictions.

Additionally, testing requirements are more stringent - coming from a high risk country need either a) PCR test within 48 hours or b)Antigen test within 24 hours of departure.
Are transiting travelers (US to non-Schengen) via AMS also required to present a PCR test as per these rules?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: Skymiles
Carl Bildt, Foreign Minister of Sweden, shares his perspective from Europe:
With the EU having achieved 70% vaccination of the adult population, why are new travel restrictions being proposed?
Well, it's with the US, because the US has restrictions against Europeans. And with the EU now having more vaccinations than the United States has, this is sort of a signal to the US that perhaps we should look at this again.
https://www.gzeromedia.com/in-60-sec...for-us-support

In Europe, the problem is becoming serious and does not bode well.
Rumors are that even if these '' messages '' are ignored, a mirror ban to the US will be set up by the end of September.
It would be a disaster.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Nayef
Are transiting travelers (US to non-Schengen) via AMS also required to present a PCR test as per these rules?
Transit travelers are exempt from testing requirements as long as they can show proof of connection etc.

Key requirements for U.S. residents connecting through the Netherlands*

You are not required to present a negative test result for the purpose of a connecting flight through the Netherlands if your travel begins in the U.S. However, you must fill out a health declaration and quarantine declaration in order to board your flight to the Netherlands. Upon arrival in the Netherlands, you must stay in the airport’s connection zone and depart within 48 hours to a destination outside the Netherlands. You must show proof you have a connecting flight within 48 hours of your scheduled arrival time and valid travel documents for your final destination.
Statman and Nayef like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by mannytabloid

Additionally, testing requirements are more stringent - coming from a high risk country need either a) PCR test within 48 hours or b)Antigen test within 24 hours of departure.
Keep in mind that if you come from the USA you will be coming from a very high-risk country not from a high risk country.
mannytabloid and JBJ2435 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by t325
Ugh, I leave for Austria in a few hours and I’m pretty sure I’ll slip in just in time if they change their requirements (guessing any announcement would take effect Sunday at the earliest). But my trip ends in Munich and who knows what Germany will do between now and my arrival there. Hopefully I could still get into Germany to at least get to the airport because I fly out of MUC.
Germany won't do anything until the elections.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just as one set of any given EU/EEA country’s rules become too familiar, the rules get modified and it’s time to play catch-up in order to try to avoid getting hit by an unwelcome surprise before, during or even after a flight/trip. Fortunately, for some, the rules modifications either don’t hit them or there are workarounds that mean the rules modifications are not a travel show-stopper; unfortunately, for others, the changed rules/circumstances add not only ambiguity but also may add disruption and additional expense.
I feel so disturbed and violated. Will these moving goalposts ever allow for some settling of my sleeping pattern, will the much anticipated light one day appear at the end of the tunnel?

But then again this isn’t September 6th yet.
Is this the day we have been yearning for?

Next week, I am anticipating a Swedish update that may well mean an exemption of some sort for vaccinated Americans. But do any common carriers even have any commercially scheduled passenger flights flying directly from the US to Sweden? I haven’t seen one this year while at ARN.
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
SAS is still selling tickets on their direct flight from Newark to Stockholm for next Monday and beyond. I can’t find any history of them actually operating that flight recently though. It seems like they just cancel it at the last minute and reaccomodate everyone.
I have long wanted to be on that flight. The present destination of nowhere appeals to my pandemic mental state as well, not to mention the leverage that the reaccommodation could bring along. Maybe I should change my SAS ORD-CPH later this month, given the SAS lounge at O’Hare hasn't reopened?

Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Good thing I renewed my Swedish passport…
Indeed.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by aviators99
Timatic doesn't list any differences for vaccinated people coming from "risk countries" going into Spain that I can see. I don't even see that you would need any testing. What am I missing?
There isn’t now, but I’m getting tested anyway. First off, if I’m positive, I don’t wanna be spreading this around unknowingly, I can fight it off and go a few weeks later: Secondly, if the MOH suddenly changes their guidelines in the next few days, I at least have updated proof i’m COVID-free.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
Germany won't do anything until the elections.
That’s reassuring. I guess banning Americans would be politically unpopular?
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Regardless, if you're leaving for Austria, you'll be perfectly able to cross the land border into Germany whatever your itinerary and the measures in place at the given moment.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Keep in mind that if you come from the USA you will be coming from a very high-risk country not from a high risk country.
If I'm reading this correctly, mandatory quarantine is now required even if vaccinated for US (or any other very high risk w or w/o variant of concern)?

2. Mandatory quarantine

Self-quarantaine is mandatory if you travel/return to the Netherlands after staying in very high risk countries. This requirement also applies even if you have been vaccinated. You must be able to show a completed, printed and signed quarantine declaration. You may be fined if you do not have a quarantine declaration or if you do not comply with the mandatory quarantine requirement.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gojko88
Regardless, if you're leaving for Austria, you'll be perfectly able to cross the land border into Germany whatever your itinerary and the measures in place at the given moment.
In practice yes, but technically you may be violating a law depending on Germany's new policies. With the current requirements you would just have to register.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.