Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU to impose entry requirements on travellers From US (updated 30 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:23 am

The Swedish authorities just updated their guidance. Entry from the USA is still allowed, but a test within 48 hours is required.

UPDATED2 SEP 2021 13:04

If you are a foreign national from a country outside the EU/EEA

• There is a ban on non-essential travel to Sweden from countries outside the EU/EEA. The ban applies to foreign nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA and will remain in effect until 31 October 2021. Certain individuals who have particularly urgent needs or who are going to carry out essential services in Sweden may be exempt.
  • Foreign nationals who fulfil the requirements for an exemption are advised to get tested for Covid-19 when they arrive in Sweden.
  • A number of countries are exempt from the entry ban. The decisive factor is whether you live in one of the countries, not if you are a citizen. Travellers to Sweden should therefore be prepared to provide documentation showing that they live in one of the aforementioned countries in order to be granted entry.
  • Exempted travellers need to show results from a negative Covid-19 test no more than 48 hours old before entry.
Currently exempt countries and terrirories: Australia, New Zealand, Rwanda, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Israel, Japan, Hong Kong, Lebanon, Macao, North Macedonia, Serbia, Taiwan, and the USA.
  • Foreign nationals from countries outside the EU/EEA can enter Sweden from EU/EEA countries if they can present a certificate proving a negative Covid-19 test no more than 48 hours old. This requirement does not apply if you travel from Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway.
https://www.krisinformation.se/en/ha...l-restrictions
jefftiger likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:12 am
Suspended

Location: United States (mostly), New Zealand (sometimes), Sweden (now and then)
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
The Swedish authorities just updated their guidance. Entry from the USA is still allowed, but a test within 48 hours is required.

https://www.krisinformation.se/en/ha...l-restrictions
I was just about to post that info. Good thing I checked if someone had already posted.
Restrictions for EU/EEA nationals:

If you are a foreign national from the EU/EEA

• In order to travel into Sweden, foreign nationals travelling from an EU/EEA country need to have a Covid certificate, a negative Covid-19 test no more than 72 hours old or proof of a return to health. The Covid certificate shows that a person has been tested negative, has been vaccinated against, or recovered from Covid-19. This will apply until 31 October 2021.
  • Inbound journeys are allowed no later than 72 hours after a negative test result or 14 days after a first shot of the Covid-19 vaccine. A certificate showing a return to health from SARS-CoV-2 infection allows an inbound journey at the earliest 11 days after a positive test. The certificate can be digital or on paper. It has to be issued in the issuing country's official language and English. A separate certificate should be issued for every vaccination, test result, or proof of a return to health. The certificate must include details about the person's identity, which vaccine they've been given, and how many shots they have had.
  • Exceptions are made for foreign nationals who are registered residents in Sweden or who live in Sweden with a valid residence permit, right of residence or residence status. For these, the same rules apply as for Swedish citizens.
  • The requirement for a negative Covid-19 test, recovery or vaccination does not apply if you travel from Denmark, Finland, Iceland or Norway.
  • The requirements apply to everyone who is 18 years or older, and not to children.
  • The Public Health Agency of Sweden recommends that those who have traveled outside the Nordic region take a PCR test when returning to Sweden. This applies even if you do not have any symptoms. Exceptions are made for people who have been fully vaccinated for two weeks or are under six years old. People who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the last six months are also exempt.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DrinkSlinger
Posted in the Europe destination forum:
I noticed on the BRU website that tests are available for arriving passengers. Rapid PCR test results in 4 to 6 hours.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Passengers entering Italy are currently needed to complete a Passenger Locator Form via the EUdPLF application (https://app.euplf.eu/).

Information for travelers with Italy as destination country:
  • All passengers wishing to enter Italy, via all means of transportation, will be required to complete the digital PLF (https://app.euplf.eu), prior to entering the country.
  • Domestic flights do not need dPLF
  • One form must be completed for each adult passenger; accompanied minors can be registered on the form of the accompanying adult. In the case of unaccompanied minors, the dPLF must be completed by the parent or legal guardian before departure.
  • Check the Italian Ministry of Health for further information:
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto
ysolde likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Originally Posted by IndyDave
I noticed on the BRU website that tests are available for arriving passengers. Rapid PCR test results in 4 to 6 hours.
The rapid PCR test appears to be only for departing passengers. But the BRU site is unclear on this or I'm just dense today. The quarantine requirement will likely require me to cancel our November trip to Bruges unless these requirements evolve in the interim.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jefftiger
The rapid PCR test appears to be only for departing passengers. But the BRU site is unclear on this or I'm just dense today. The quarantine requirement will likely require me to cancel our November trip to Bruges unless these requirements evolve in the interim.
Man, this is confusing. I wonder what happened to US citizens arriving on flights today. I don't know what difference it would make If you had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival. From what is read, it says get tested on day 1 or 2. Does that mean you leave the airport and then on your own to get a test?
jefftiger likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold, CAM Card
Man, this is confusing. I wonder what happened to US citizens arriving on flights today. I don't know what difference it would make If you had a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival. From what is read, it says get tested on day 1 or 2. Does that mean you leave the airport and then on your own to get a test?
Or arriving passengers can get a "standard" PCR test at the airport. I may be reading the available test descriptions at the BRU site too literally. But, it's still confusing. Quarantining at a hotel for 1-2 days pending a result won't work for our planned schedule. The ability for arriving passengers to get a rapid PCR test would be nice, albeit at 120 Euros per person is a significant cost.

It will be very interesting to read travelers experiences at BRU over the coming days.
IndyDave likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:53 am

I trust the Belgian embassy, but I am still fairly confused as the Belgian FPS site still shows U.S. (and the other countries downgraded this week) on the white list, and therefore not subject to testing on arrival or quarantine for vaxxed pax.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:41 am

I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me with the new requirements for Italy. Now that we need a test 72 hours before ARRIVAL into Italy. I am trying to make sure I have all my bases covered and have a backup plan and the timing is confusing me a bit. Right now if everything goes fine i should be good but i like to make sure I have a backup plan in place since this is a costly trip.

I depart Sept 15 and arrive Sept 16 on DL 64 which gets into Italy 9:40AM right now I have a PCR test scheduled 9AM Sept 14 with same day turn around time by 830PM. So as long as everything goes ok I wont have a problem but if something goes wrong(which I’m not counting on since my test is 9AM so if they had to run it again which the testing site website says is a very rare situation I would feel they still have time that same day to do it) I guess what i would like to do as a backup is maybe setup a separate test elsewhere but earlier such as through Walgreens/cvs but I’m trying to determine what the earliest time is that I could take a test since those wont be same day turn around and its based on arrival so is the time really 66 hours from Sept 16 (72-6 hour time difference from NY to Rome). If someone could help me with figuring out when my window opens for the test or if I could just do one of the proctored Abbot test which is an antigen test that they accept for arrival into italy and do it the morning of the flight as a last resort (ive seen folks say its been possible on TripAdvisor forums)
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Going to Spain and Portugal later this month and, so far, things haven't changed much from what I can tell. Portugal's "visit Portugal" website updated on 8/31 with a few alterations but basically US visitors still allowed under the same conditions as before.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by PMFR
Passengers entering Italy are currently needed to complete a Passenger Locator Form via the EUdPLF application (https://app.euplf.eu/).

Information for travelers with Italy as destination country:
  • All passengers wishing to enter Italy, via all means of transportation, will be required to complete the digital PLF (https://app.euplf.eu), prior to entering the country.
  • Domestic flights do not need dPLF
  • One form must be completed for each adult passenger; accompanied minors can be registered on the form of the accompanying adult. In the case of unaccompanied minors, the dPLF must be completed by the parent or legal guardian before departure.
  • Check the Italian Ministry of Health for further information:
https://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nu...rus&menu=vuoto
The area to which I reacted in this was old. Apparently, it was "good" as of end of August. New rules went into effect September 1.

NY Times article:
Since June, the United States has been on the European Union’s safe list for travel, which cleared the way for American travelers to visit many E.U. member countries without quarantining. In addition to taking the United States off the safe list on Monday, the European Council, the European Union’s governing body, released a recommendation urging member countries to issue travel restrictions for visitors from the United States who are unvaccinated against the coronavirus. The European Union is encouraging authorities across Europe to reinstate the sort of mandatory quarantine and testing requirements that seemed to be on their way out, though primarily for unvaccinated travelers.

Ultimately it’s up to a given country to decide if it wants to issue new requirements, however.
The first notable changes were announced Tuesday, by Italy. Even if visitors are vaccinated, they must now obtain a negative coronavirus test 72 hours before arrival. Previously, some airlines, such as Delta Air Lines, required this, but the Italian government did not.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/eu-u...trictions.html

Last edited by ysolde; Sep 2, 2021 at 9:00 am Reason: Update information
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Got a quick note from a friend who arrived at BRU today (Thursday morning).

On arrival, he was told he needed to take a PCR test and was directed towards the testing center. Registration for the test involved entering a code from your PLF (I guess so they can see who didn't get tested). I asked him about quarantine and he said they didn't say anything but that he did get a long message in Dutch. After putting it thru Google Translate it was the message telling him to quarantine for 3 days or until a negative test result. I believe he just blew it off and is going about his business (from his social media posts).

He did say he was told he didn't have to use the airport center, he could get tested anywhere so long as it was by the next day.

I heard from a Belgian friend who had traveled back from a "red zone" country who said his test was taken at 9am and he had results by 4pm. Of course YMMV...
LETTERBOY, jefftiger and sgasrock like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Spain has not yet updated its website here based on the EU recommendation.
Their list of risk countries was last updated on 30 Aug and I suspect the US will be added to the risk list when they update it on the 5th. But, barring an unfortunate event, like my testing positive for the virus, it seems like I should still be able to go next week, arriving Friday. I'm traveling PDX-EWR-BCN. Here's my plan.

1. Get a rapid PCR test on Tuesday, with the results back by Wednesday. If I test positive, I'm done, no go.
2. If I test negative, I'll get all the paperwork together including the Spanish MOH guidance, IATA travel restriction guidance, test results, and vax card.
3. Get on the flight, briinging all this paperwork with me to show gate agents.

Question: What exactly is the EU accepting for proof of vaccination?

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Sep 2, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Old Sep 2, 2021, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Their list of risk countries was last updated on 30 Aug and I suspect the US will be added to the risk list when they update it on the 5th. But, barring an unfortunate event, like my testing positive for the virus, it seems like I should still be able to go next week, arriving Friday. I'm traveling PDX-EWR-BCN. Here's my plan.

1. Get a rapid PCR test on Tuesday, with the results back by Wednesday. If I test positive, I'm done, no go.
2. If I test negative, I'll get all the paperwork together including the Spanish MOH guidance, IATA travel restriction guidance, test results, and vax card.

Hi

Your CDC card of vaccination is sufficient for the EU.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal

Timatic doesn't list any differences for vaccinated people coming from "risk countries" going into Spain that I can see. I don't even see that you would need any testing. What am I missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.