Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Anyone used these tests on Austrian returning from Austria to the U.S.?
Yes, flew VIE-IAD and had no problem using these with Austrian. The online test documentation feature on the Austrian website wasn't functional or didn't work with our itinerary. Oddly enough the system let us check in and print boarding passes the day before without proof of test.

We brought printed copies of the test to the airport anyway with the assumption they would have to be presented at some point. They were checking them at the gate...the agent quickly glanced at name and date of test, then manually stamped the boarding pass as "proof"...literally only took a few seconds.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: AA, Delta , Hilton
I am still nervous about using this Monday on AA to Bahamas …thinking about having a back up Walgreens test
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Seggie
I am still nervous about using this Monday on AA to Bahamas …thinking about having a back up Walgreens test
Well, that's up to you, but you won't get any pushback from AA. Staff is very familiar with the eMed interface, I've used it probably a dozen times when leaving the U.S.

Still worth having on your person, and using for your return. Was just reading about folks trapped in Mexico due to flight irregularities, and their hotel-administered tests expired. Why anybody would rely on procuring local tests in lieu of eMed is unclear to me, though I admit the tests take up a bit of space in the bag. And yes, there are some off-the-path places where PCR results are required just to enter the airport, though the airline itself will still accept eMed (I had this issue in Baghdad).

Enjoy your trip - Jamie
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by listorganizer
Yes, flew VIE-IAD and had no problem using these with Austrian. The online test documentation feature on the Austrian website wasn't functional or didn't work with our itinerary. Oddly enough the system let us check in and print boarding passes the day before without proof of test.

We brought printed copies of the test to the airport anyway with the assumption they would have to be presented at some point. They were checking them at the gate...the agent quickly glanced at name and date of test, then manually stamped the boarding pass as "proof"...literally only took a few seconds.
Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
We've placed many orders over the last year or so and while the design has changed the boxes have all been about the same size. And fr those complaining about their bulk, I've found they can be crushed a bit flat without breaking the seals. That makes it a lot easier to pack a few them.
Did you or anyone else run into any issue with the crushed boxes and the seals when looking to take the test? I noticed just now the ones I had packed have been crushed with some of the seal stickers slipping (ie still attached, but has moved over if that makes sense). I thought I read that if the test is deemed tampered they’ll reject them, so I don’t want to mess with them, but Im worried I might need to scramble to get a test locally to get home due to these flimsey boxes.

Hopefully the box condition is understandable and will still be accepted to be used to test, but was wondering if anyone else has already go through the this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Did you or anyone else run into any issue with the crushed boxes and the seals when looking to take the test?
I've had similar condition boxes after a week of them sitting inside my suitcases, and I have not had any issues. I get the impression they don't look too closely at the box. I haven't seen the sticker slip, however.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Did you or anyone else run into any issue with the crushed boxes and the seals when looking to take the test? I noticed just now the ones I had packed have been crushed with some of the seal stickers slipping (ie still attached, but has moved over if that makes sense). I thought I read that if the test is deemed tampered they’ll reject them, so I don’t want to mess with them, but Im worried I might need to scramble to get a test locally to get home due to these flimsey boxes.

Hopefully the box condition is understandable and will still be accepted to be used to test, but was wondering if anyone else has already go through the this.
I've had plenty like that - no prblem at all. If they did give me a problem I'd probably end the call and try again.
beltway and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've had similar condition boxes after a week of them sitting inside my suitcases, and I have not had any issues. I get the impression they don't look too closely at the box. I haven't seen the sticker slip, however.
I've regularly beaten the crap out of my boxes, and I've had the sticker slip. Never an issue. Use a thumb tack (or finger nail?) to lift it and slide it back into position. Only time I had a problem with eMed was when I left the kits on top of a van in central Iraq, in 110 degree heat. Most recently, my kit was soaked from a motorcycle trip through the upper elevations in Ecuador. Still worked.

You won't have a problem.

Jamie
Majuki and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: free agent
Probably unique question, but does emed video appointment have chat feature? I am asking because I am deaf but I could come up with marker on notes and point it to cam.. I tried to search FAQ if emed offer chat feature but no luck. If not, then what about other online appointment options?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:45 pm

They actually do have chat. I recently used them and there were issues with audio - system tested fine but proctors had trouble hearing us or vice versa. So they switched to chat. It's relatively simple instructions so easy to do via chat.

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Probably unique question, but does emed video appointment have chat feature? I am asking because I am deaf but I could come up with marker on notes and point it to cam.. I tried to search FAQ if emed offer chat feature but no luck. If not, then what about other online appointment options?
Xyzzy and washeelers747 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 2:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by jeff191
They actually do have chat. I recently used them and there were issues with audio - system tested fine but proctors had trouble hearing us or vice versa. So they switched to chat. It's relatively simple instructions so easy to do via chat.
Yup - I similarly one time had a strange audio issue on the phone (not sure why it happened that one time and not others) and we did it all by text chat - no problem at all!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 9:46 am

Azova and Flowflex is a good option

Originally Posted by dave456
I just picked 3 test kits up at Target for 7.99 each. I'm heading on a trip in a week. The Azova system lets you schedule a time every ten minutes and looks pretty efficient. I'll post back once complete. I figured with the 7.99 cost i would buy some extra test kits in case of problems, especially since they are reimbursable.
I wanted to post back on my experience with Azova and Flowflex. I had no issues for my return travel. Again, I paid $7.99 at Target for each test which should be reimbursed by insurance. The proctoring is $20 (plus tax if applicable). I had my appointment scheduled a day or two in advance. You can easily reschedule if required. I had my appointment scheduled at 7:50pm but returned to my hotel early (around 5:00pm) and wanted to do a test immediately. But the reschedule would only show me new appointment times 6:30pm+. So while it's nice to have a set appointment time, it does take away some last minute flexibility. The process was pretty straightforward. They only observed test setup and swab. After the 15 minute waiting period (the results show up closer to 5 min), you upload a picture of your result, and they'll confirm the result and send the results within about 10 minutes. It was pretty smooth overall. Test was verified and accepted through KLM's online tool without any problem.

The tests are cheaper, easier to find ($7.99 at a Target which is 10 min walk for me), and are reimbursed by insurance. And you don't waste money on pricier tests with proctoring already embedded in the cost (like Binax/Emed). You can pick up extra tests just in case one malfunctions without incurring any additional fee. I'll definitely use them again until the testing requirement is dropped.

Dave
rmannion likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dave456
The tests are cheaper, easier to find ($7.99 at a Target which is 10 min walk for me), and are reimbursed by insurance.
But the $20+ proctoring fee is not reimbursed by insurance, right? If so, that's a pretty significant advantage for BinaxNow and other bundled tests.
Xyzzy and gudugan like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
But the $20+ proctoring fee is not reimbursed by insurance, right? If so, that's a pretty significant advantage for BinaxNow and other bundled tests.
Proctoring fees are not required to be reimbursed by insurance, at least per the government regs for free tests. Even taxes for test kits aren’t required to be reimbursed, as I understand it. Some insurance might do it, but I suspect many, if not most, don’t. So either way, most folks need to shell out for that.

if that’s the case, the poster you are responding might have less OOP costs by buying the flow flex and proctoring separately. YMMV.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Proctoring fees are not required to be reimbursed by insurance, at least per the government regs for free tests. Even taxes for test kits aren’t required to be reimbursed, as I understand it. Some insurance might do it, but I suspect many, if not most, don’t. So either way, most folks need to shell out for that.

if that’s the case, the poster you are responding might have less OOP costs by buying the flow flex and proctoring separately. YMMV.
Sorry, but I don’t really follow.

IIRC, more than one poster HS remarked upthread that their insurance reimbursed the full cost of a set of BinaxNow tests. (I can’t speak from personal experience, mostly because I haven’t yet sought reimbursement for the ones I used in March.) So while the upfront costs are indisputably higher, paying $0 for a bundled test in the long run seems like a far better deal than paying $0 for an unbundled test and an unreimbursed $20+ per proctored session.

Is there some unfounded assumption I’m making here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.