Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Old Aug 31, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
CHECK THIS LINK FOR YOUR LOT NUMBER ON YOUR BinaxNOW Covid Tests for the extended expiration date:
  • Lot 195-200: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW%E2%84%A2%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Upda te%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en
  • Lot 195-200 and 195-100: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/scrtechs-0381-v8-binaxnow-covid-19-ag-home-test-product.pdf
  • Lot 195-000: https://www.healthvermont.gov/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/COVID-19-BinaxNOW-Expiry-Extension.pdf

Previously, it was on https://ohio.emed.com/ but the link has been removed.

The good news is that as of mid-Dec 2021, Abbott Labs is apparently shipping only kits with printed expiration dates well into 2022.

*Hat Tip to poster Blue Skye

Print Wikipost

Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.

Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by kac2138
My tests came Wednesday. They have a November 5 expiration so they last until Feb 5.
Wow, they have been shipping 11/21 kits, so it is disappointing to know they are not done with the older stock yet. Sticking to their guns about use by early Feb or else!
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:55 pm

Programs: *
You'd think they'd be selling new kits that were manufactured in September or October but instead they're selling like the same old lot. It's very confusing. Is it the EUA or something else?
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Unfortunately, it's been this way for a while. They seem to be having other issues right now as well, likely due to increased demand?
Seems the more likely issue is lack of demand (or excess initial supply) otherwise why else would they have so much expiring stock to get rid of? Increased demand leads to scarcity and not sale of old stock. Poor demand or excess supply would be what gives rise to expiring stock.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
My tests came Wednesday. They have a November 5 expiration so they last until Feb 5.
Mine also came the same day. They put a sticker over the place where the expiration date is.

The box is 195-100 instead of 195-000 as mentioned below. The hourglass says 2021-11-13 and the other date says 2021-03-09. So I assume it is ok until 2022-02-13?

https://ltc.health.mo.gov/archives/15184
Old Dec 11, 2021, 6:12 am

i am going to try to order my 2 pack of Abbot BinaxNow Home test for travel today, via 2 Business day via Optum store website

https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/

I think 69.99 is reasonable for a 2 pack, and this is a good backup in case, because I will be getting my covid test to return to US on 12/31, new years eve, in Guayaquil, some I am worried about long lines, or places closing early, etc...

thoughts?

thank you
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by gudugan
Mine also came the same day. They put a sticker over the place where the expiration date is.

The box is 195-100 instead of 195-000 as mentioned below. The hourglass says 2021-11-13 and the other date says 2021-03-09. So I assume it is ok until 2022-02-13?

https://ltc.health.mo.gov/archives/15184
My trip is Jan 13 but I find this entire situation to make next to no sense. Why do they not have new stock?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Does the prescription info on emed need to actually match the person ultimately taking the test? I'm trying to order a 6 pack for my family of 4; however there is only space for 3 test-takers. I can't imaging there is cross checking since the navica app appears to be separate but thought I'd ask here before ordering. Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2021, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ajhun9
Does the prescription info on emed need to actually match the person ultimately taking the test? I'm trying to order a 6 pack for my family of 4; however there is only space for 3 test-takers. I can't imaging there is cross checking since the navica app appears to be separate but thought I'd ask here before ordering. Thanks!
It does not have to match. They only care about the NAVICA information when taking a test. Three people in my family have shared multiple 6-packs this year. I’ve just organized tests based on their expiration dates.
ajhun9 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Finally arrived today out of the blue. Ordered 2 packs of 2 from Optum, got 6 in an eMed box
Bought a 6 pack from eMed as a back-up and canceled it within hours (canceled within 3 hours of ordering and have confirmation) of ordering, once the Optum order arrived.

7 days later got charged on my Venture X for $167+.

This oughta be fun getting my charge back.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by michael1023
i am going to try to order my 2 pack of Abbot BinaxNow Home test for travel today, via 2 Business day via Optum store website

https://store.optum.com/shop/product...st-kit-2-pack/

I think 69.99 for two is reasonable for a 2 pack, and this is a good backup in case, because I will be getting my covid test to return to US on 12/31, new years eve, in Guayaquil, some I am worried about long lines, or places closing early, etc...

thoughts?

thank you
$69.99 seems like a good price, considering that the alternative is to buy from Binax/eMed for $25 ea (6 for $150), and get ones that expire in 60 days or so.

Other alternatives are Qured and Ellume (see posts above), but I've only used the Abbott Binax. I feel now that I should explore the alternatives, if for no other reason than to stick it to Abbott Labs for trying to unload their excess inventory this way!

One plus for Qured is that they responded to a question I submitted within a day, whereas questions submitted to eMed went unanswered.
remaxmac likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Tried my last 2 eMed tests for the return portion of a trip to Canada. For the first time, I had the remote proctor check the expiration date on the test kit. One missed that the test kit was technically "expired" and continued the test successfully. The other correctly noted that the test kit was expired and would not proceed.

The most interesting part for me is that they are now checking for the expiration. My previous 4 sessions did not.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by DCAhome
Tried my last 2 eMed tests for the return portion of a trip to Canada. For the first time, I had the remote proctor check the expiration date on the test kit. One missed that the test kit was technically "expired" and continued the test successfully. The other correctly noted that the test kit was expired and would not proceed.

The most interesting part for me is that they are now checking for the expiration. My previous 4 sessions did not.
How did they check the expiry date? Just visually, did they ask you what the date on the box was, or did it alert them when they scanned the bar code? They never seem to be able to scan the barcode when I use them (maybe I have a crappy webcam?) and they always just say never mind after a couple of tries.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
How did they check the expiry date? Just visually, did they ask you what the date on the box was, or did it alert them when they scanned the bar code? They never seem to be able to scan the barcode when I use them (maybe I have a crappy webcam?) and they always just say never mind after a couple of tries.
The agents have been trained to check expiration dates now that they know there are a lot of about to expire or expired kits out there. I did an eMed test a week ago, nothing said about expiration. My kit was expiring that same week. I did another test yesterday on the last day of validity - agent said right off the bat “let me scan the code on your box and check the expiration date”. Now I’m certain they are going to be going after extra revenue based on these expirations.
36902BRF and remaxmac like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:06 pm

They never seem to be able to scan the barcode when I use them (maybe I have a crappy webcam?) and they always just say never mind after a couple of tries.
And there we have it: sold kits started expiring on 12/7, and now they are all over it.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Bought a 6 pack from eMed as a back-up and canceled it within hours (canceled within 3 hours of ordering and have confirmation) of ordering, once the Optum order arrived.

7 days later got charged on my Venture X for $167+.

This oughta be fun getting my charge back.
Well, eMed does show the order was canceled successfully, never received a FedEx/eMed message about a shipment, but received another 6-pack just now.

The only positive is that the expiration date is 31 October 2022 and I do have more trips planned.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
In my case they asked me to show the expiration date so it would be visible to the camera on the phone I was using for the session.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.