Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US entry exception document needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN* ; Lifetime Ivory Member AF

Hi,
I am travelling with my daughter to the US in august in order to meet my son there.
My son is an american Citizen (they do not have the same mother with my daugther).
My children are both under 21yo.

1. Father of american citizen (for me)
I will provide the birth certificate with my name as a father and a copy of its passport. Is it ok ?

2. Sibling of an american citiwen (my daugther)
I will provide both birth certificate showing that they have the same father.

Am I right in term of documentation ?
Matthieu
Old Jul 30, 2021, 1:22 pm

Should be fine, just make sure you have every documentation possible. Also be prepared to spend some time in secondary in the US. Depending on which airport (IAD is the worst), it could be a long wait . . .
Old Jul 30, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mat_bkk
I will provide the birth certificate with my name as a father and a copy of its passport. Is it ok ?
What kind of birth certificate are we talking about here?

I will provide both birth certificate showing that they have the same father.
Which country issued the birth certificate?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
What kind of birth certificate are we talking about here?

Which country issued the birth certificate?
My son has dual citizenship and has an American and a French Birth Certificate.
My daughter is french and she has a french birth certificate issued in France.

Both of course have my full name as father.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
My son has dual citizenship and has an American and a French Birth Certificate.
My daughter is french and she has a french birth certificate issued in France.

Both of course have my full name as father.
For you, you will have to use the CRBA, not the French one (based on having both, my guess is France is the place of birth, and his U.S. citizenship is acquired through Embassy/Consulate).

For your daughter, you will need Copie Integrale de l’Acte de Naissance. Not sure if it is issued in English as well. But best to have a translation.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 3:24 am
Original Poster

For you, you will have to use the CRBA, not the French one (based on having both, my guess is France is the place of birth, and his U.S. citizenship is acquired through Embassy/Consulate).

For your daughter, you will need Copie Integrale de l’Acte de Naissance. Not sure if it is issued in English as well. But best to have a translation.
Whaouh ! Thanks for your help !
I have the CBRA and the Copie Integrale de l'acte de Naissance, I'll see how I can get it translated, so I hopefully I should be good.

Merci !
Old Aug 2, 2021, 2:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The US Embassy in Berlin has a nice overview for the NIEs.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...Q/formResponse

As a parent of a US citzen <21y you can travel without a NIE, but you can apply for your passport number to be registered in the system by the consulate in advance. Then the additional discussions at the airport etc are minimal.

You daughter needs a NIE, so make sure you apply for one under the category 'direct family member of someone who is exempt'

Same thing for her, if the NIE is entered on her passport number, the computer will say 'yes' at checkin/airport and you have less hassle before departure. However, once you land everyone with a tricky NIE will get a secondary inspection from the CBP to verify the documents.

If you are travelling alone with your daughter and she is below 18, it may be wise to get the other parent to sign a 'Minor Travel Consent Form', the CBP is rather interested in such activity and may ask for proof if the other parent approves.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You daughter needs a NIE, so make sure you apply for one under the category 'direct family member of someone who is exempt'
The travel ban, i.e. Presidential Proclamation, does allow sibling:

"(v) any noncitizen who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;"

Then why a NIE is required?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The deals is that you ask for a NIE, and the consular officer says 's/he is exempt anyway' and enters the details in the database. That way the computer says 'yes' at checkin and at immigration. No waving of translated certificates and head scratching agents at checkin
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The deals is that you ask for a NIE, and the consular officer says 's/he is exempt anyway' and enters the details in the database. That way the computer says 'yes' at checkin and at immigration. No waving of translated certificates and head scratching agents at checkin
The tool per your link agrees with me.

Beside - to ask for a NIE, the person must be eligible for a NIE in the first place. When OP's daughter is not eligible for one, how can she get a NIE?

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 5, 2021 at 9:33 am Reason: Unfriendly, disrespectful and offensive language
Old Aug 2, 2021, 1:57 pm

Since I want to go to the US in October I follow forums here in Germany discussing this topic since the PP hit last year. Writing a NIE email under Z99 or X99 when in doubt elicits a response from the Embassy, which then facilitates your travel. If you want to call it BS, feel free to do so. I'm just pointing out an option to make life easier.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I apologize for high jacking the thread but I have a question of my own regarding an exemption document. I am a spouse of a US citizen and we are booked to travel to JFK in October with LO. I checked the NIE link and it retuned a result that I don't need one. We will be travelling together. Is there anything I should do to expedite the check-in or is the discussion only concerns those who need this NIE? Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am a spouse of a US citizen and we are booked to travel to JFK in October with LO.
Is there anything I should do to expedite the check-in or is the discussion only concerns those who need this NIE? Thank you.
NIE is available to non-exempted traveler only, i.e. those who are specifically exempted from the travel ban is not eligible for one. So what you need is to prove the exemption apply to you. For example, in your case, you will need to show the marriage certificate (in English if possible), and your spuose's identity as a U.S. citizen/LPR.
Andriyko likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
NIE is available to non-exempted traveler only, i.e. those who are specifically exempted from the travel ban is not eligible for one. So what you need is to prove the exemption apply to you. For example, in your case, you will need to show the marriage certificate (in English if possible), and your spuose's identity as a U.S. citizen/LPR.
Thank you! I get that I will need to prove that the exemption applies to me. We got married in the USA, so I will have our marriage license and my husband will be flying with me so he will show his U.S. passport. That being said, there is talk up the thread that some information can be entered beforehand (at the Embassy?) to expedite check-in. I just don't understand whether it applies only to those who require NIE. Hence my question whether I should ask someone (I am just not sure who - the Embassy or the airline) to add information that I am a spouse of a U.S. citizen to the reservation. Or is it all dealt with at the airport only. I hope what I am asking makes sense...

Last edited by Andriyko; Aug 4, 2021 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We got married in the USA, so I will have our marriage license and my husband will be flying with me so he will show his U.S. passport.
Make sure it is a marriage certificate, which is different from the license. A license only authorizes the marriage and expires if not used.

That being said, there is talk up the thread that some information can be entered beforehand (at the Embassy?) to expedite check-in. I just don't understand whether it applies only to those who require NIE. Hence my question whether I should ask someone (I am just not sure who - the Embassy or the airline) to add information that I am a spouse of a U.S. citizen to the reservation. Or is it all dealt with at the airport only. I hope what I am asking makes sense...
Well...from your previous post, it seems that you tried for NIE, but the embassy says no need for NIE. Here is your answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.