Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Is Anyone Cutting Back Their Travel Due To Covid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!

I am very seriously considering cancelling an upcoming trip or to to Las Vegas due to COVID.

I admit that it's an easier decision since I can still keep my status in 2022 with relatively modest effort.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I'm trying to assess risk based on local case loads at the destination. Based on that standard, Vegas would easily be on my no-go list.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Globalist
I'm not presently cutting back.

Unpacking my thinking:

1) I'm vaccinated and don't have complicating conditions (though I understand there's a remote chance that healthy vaccinated folks can be impacted severely).
2) I don't want to contribute to further spread (and I'm reading that vaccinated folks can transmit even if they don't get infected).
3) I enjoy traveling (all the more so for staying in for 18 months to isolate).
4) The most crowded part of my trips seem to be the (masked) airport & flight.

I'm sure #3 is creating real internal bias, but I've booked Tanzania, Colombia, Milan, and Cairo for the next 6 months, and I day-tripped last week to try out JetBlue's new Mint Studio transcon and the TWA hotel @ JFK.

No plans to cancel the planned trips (so far).
Boraxo, grapkoski, fdog and 10 others like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
Severely. Work travel has gone to zero. Personal travel also went to zero until I was able to get vaccinated. Since then, I've been on a couple of road trips, but I still avoid air travel.

I am vaccinated now, but I have asthma, which has me a little concerned about breakthrough infections. To be clear, far less concerned than I was before I received my vaccine, but it's still in the back of my mind, especially with numbers going up again.

Like jef787, I also want to make sure I'm not contributing to any spread. Also like him, I was really ready for a road trip after a year and a half in near-isolation. Unfortunately for me, my first road trip ended with getting rear-ended by a methhead at a red light in Oklahoma.

But in general -- I will travel by car (my preferred mode even pre-COVID,) but I try to avoid large crowds, and I still feel sketchy about air travel. Not just airplanes, but also airports and security checkpoints where the opportunities for contagion are endless.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Nope.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 4:03 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Yes before … now all friends and fams and myself are vacc‘d, … not really, but I dol avoid transit at hotspots like LHR at the moment …
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:12 am
Suspended

No way. Two TATLs in the last two weeks. Lining up the trips this fall to catch up. Business and personal.

We have to learn to live with the virus. And for the vast majority of full vaccinated travelers, breaks through infections pose no meaningful risk other than a couple sick days (and maybe an extended stay if international and requiring a test).
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
I am very seriously considering cancelling an upcoming trip or to to Las Vegas due to COVID.

I admit that it's an easier decision since I can still keep my status in 2022 with relatively modest effort.
Gosh, OP… you’ve dramatically changed your attitude in just a couple of months.

Originally Posted by redtop43
I had my mask around my neck the whole flight and wasn't bothered by the FA.

​​​Genuinely curious, because I’m seeing a similar attitude in the Midwest right now… is it the Delta variant and the latest CDC warning, or something else?

In Missouri currently, where my partner works, people are actually starting to get vaccinated in secret at local drugstores, but they won’t admit it due to politics. It was actually a national news story the other day.

To be honest, Delta won’t affect my travel. I feel we’ve crossed that bridge. I’m vaxxed, have appropriate PPE, and feel like I know what/where/whom to avoid to keep myself safe at this point.

Now if AA will only bring proper service back!

Last edited by metallo; Jul 30, 2021 at 5:21 am
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Only avoiding areas with high Covid rates or onerous Covid restrictions. Also, only been flying to destinations where I can get a direct flight.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I didn't the first time and I'm certainly not this time. In fact, I'm traveling more as I have a job that requires just a laptop and a wifi connection. Other than wearing a mask it's actually a great time to be an EXP.
FlyerBeek, BLV, LETTERBOY and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Zero international travel. So many flight cancellations or transiting issues have been posted here that I just don't think it is worth the hassle when there are so many beautiful places in the US to visit. My biggest problem is having to share enclosed space with people who refuse to wear masks or wear them properly. So many of them are on planes and in airport. Airline staffs are sick and tired having to babysit adults who should know better. Unfortunately, in this country, the lowest vax rate areas also have the highest resistance to mask wearing.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by metallo
In Missouri currently, where my partner works, people are actually starting to get vaccinated in secret at local drugstores, but they won’t admit it due to politics.
That feels like an SNL sketch, but it’s not. What a sad, strange place (much of) the US has become.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Nope.
BLV, jcatman, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Nope.
Originally Posted by cmd320
Nope.
And "Nope" from me too!
BLV, the810, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
We are both vaccinated. We had just resumed normal travel after 18 months. Now all the Delta developments. Probably will lay low till early November
boss315 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.