Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canada to start reopening Aug 9

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2021, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Barciur
... Many websites state that US citizens will need to have "quarantine plans just in case" ...
Please provide the URLs for those websites. Then perhaps we can decide if they reflect the current policy of Canadian gov't.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Thanks all of you guys. I just bought flexible ticket and non-ref airbnb so i really do hope the borders will open on 7th September.
Cant wait to see the niagara falls and also we planned a trip to Quebec and Montreal (with Porter Airlines). Really looking forward.
ETA bought, so just the PCR test before departure and i hope no troubles at all
JIMCHI and oceanscape like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by casey89
Thanks all of you guys. I just bought flexible ticket and non-ref airbnb so i really do hope the borders will open on 7th September.
Cant wait to see the niagara falls and also we planned a trip to Quebec and Montreal (with Porter Airlines). Really looking forward.
ETA bought, so just the PCR test before departure and i hope no troubles at all
Have a great time. You'll love Canada and the Canadian people.
outgoing and casey89 like this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Yup Canada rocks! If only they paid US wages...but I guess this is called happiness compensating wage differential. We're driving through land border on the 9th so I will report back on the experience.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyer123
Barciur.
If you meet certain requirements, your quarantine plan may involve staying with a relative who has an isolated area in their house where you can stay 14 days. No need for a hotel reservation. In my case, I’m staying at my sister’s house and tested negative after arrival, so I’m good to go.
I understand. My understand however is that from August 9th US citizens can enter for tourist purposes. My sole goal was to travel and spend 2 nights in Montreal and explore the city a bit and come back. I do not have anybody in Canada that I know at all. I also don't want to book 14 days if I am going to be there for 2 nights. So does that mean Canada is not for me right now?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 8:47 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Barciur
I also don't want to book 14 days if I am going to be there for 2 nights. So does that mean Canada is not for me right now?
Don't see why you would not be able to book a hotel for two nights.

Plenty of reports of folks returning to US prior to quarantine being lifted for US residents before 14 days was up, so a short stay should be OK.

Test has not changed (to answer your previous post), so still needs to be PCR. The Walgreens in Dallas informed me that their NAAT test was not PCR, so I did not go with it.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Test has not changed (to answer your previous post), so still needs to be PCR. The Walgreens in Dallas informed me that their NAAT test was not PCR, so I did not go with it.
This is semi-correct. While the Walgreens NAAT may not be a PCR Test, Canada only requires a Molecular Test. There is a list of Accepted Molecular Tests, and the NAAT is acceptable. (I personally used the IDNOW Rapid NAAT from Walgreens at YUL on 2021-07-24)

Old Aug 1, 2021, 1:36 pm

Don't see why you would not be able to book a hotel for two nights.

Plenty of reports of folks returning to US prior to quarantine being lifted for US residents before 14 days was up, so a short stay should be OK.

Thank you! My confusion is the 14 day quarantine requirement, but maybe it's ok if I am returning. Appreciate the help!
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Have a great time. You'll love Canada and the Canadian people.
Thanks again. I heard only good things about Canadien people. Although when we were in LA right before covid I must say all the people we dealt with were super nice as well.
Anyway I just read the new posts here and if I understand correctly - during the custom clearance in Canada I have to provide the quarantine plan for 14 days? even though I have return ticket in 7 days and accommodation for those 7 days?
Also the (randomly selected) DAY1 test means that if I am picked I will be tested right on the airport or do I have to quarantine for 1 day and then take the test somewhere?
Thank you guys.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
No quarantine plan is required and you do not need to quarantine if you are selected for an arrival test.
oceanscape and casey89 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by casey89
... I heard only good things about Canadien people.
Then you must've missed quite a few venomous comments in this section about citizens of Western Canada and their intolerant attitudes
There was also a period of frequent car vandalism directed toward vehicles with US tags.
Personally I've only spent time in Eastern Canada, always had a great time, and enjoyed the company of the locals there.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
No quarantine plan is required and you do not need to quarantine if you are selected for an arrival test.
perfect. Thank you. I am nervous only about the non-red airbnb but the deal was worth the shot so hopefully the borders will open and remain open.

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Then you must've missed quite a few venomous comments in this section about citizens of Western Canada and their intolerant attitudes
There was also a period of frequent car vandalism directed toward vehicles with US tags.
Personally I've only spent time in Eastern Canada, always had a great time, and enjoyed the company of the locals there.
no way? :/ i really never heard anything like this. We are going the eastern part (Toronto) so I hope no troubles at all with this
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:36 pm

The test does NOT have to be PCR. That has never been the requirement. It only has to be MOLECULAR. You and everyone else should always reference the official information for the exact requirements instead of relying on heresay from random internet strangers. The pharmacy NAAT tests are fine and are specifically mentioned in the official list of accepted tests. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
Old Aug 1, 2021, 9:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by under2100
The test does NOT have to be PCR. That has never been the requirement. It only has to be MOLECULAR. You and everyone else should always reference the official information for the exact requirements instead of relying on heresay from random internet strangers. The pharmacy NAAT tests are fine and are specifically mentioned in the official list of accepted tests. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...getting-tested
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
This is semi-correct. While the Walgreens NAAT may not be a PCR Test, Canada only requires a Molecular Test. There is a list of Accepted Molecular Tests, and the NAAT is acceptable. (I personally used the IDNOW Rapid NAAT from Walgreens at YUL on 2021-07-24)

As I previously stated.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:09 am

Hi guys,
I know it is a dumb question but if there is anybody who lives in Canada - do you have some "local-feeling-info" if the reopening for EU still happens? Or is there any deadline when it will be decided because now it is in the position that Canada will reopen if the pandemic situation remains good. I am checking the numbers every day and now the curve is going up again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.