Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-recovered unvaccinated traveling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2021, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Having a friend who recovered from Covid more than six months ago, he is not too keen to get vaccinated at this time given reports ranging from "must vaccinate" to "lifetime immunity", eg many unknowns & opinions out there. Since he has some travel plans to countries outside the US, he was wondering what the experience of others in such a situation might be.

Feel free to also discuss pros & cons of vaccination for recovered persons in general - an interesting subject in itself.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 12:52 am

If it is already more than six months from the recovery from COVID-19 and no vaccinations, then I presume most countries will treat the person like anybody else that does not have been vaccinated. Thus there can be restrictions on where such persons can arrive (and on what grounds), obligatory testing almost certainly (possibly both before you depart and after arrival) and maybe a quarantine before you can freely roam around the country.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
GET VACCINATED. Simple.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
By refusing the vaccine your friend is putting themselves and other in their community in danger. There are reports showing stronger protection from vaccination than from infection and this is one reason for why we vax people who recovered. When it comes to travel they will be treated in some countries as someone who is not protected i.e., subject to restrictions (including barred from entering).
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:37 am
Community Director Emerita

My understanding as a non scientist is that having covid gives you protection from the variant that you had but not the broad range of variants that now occur. Only a vaccination does that. A friend had covid in February, right before vaccinations opened for his age range. I won't go into all the challenges it has given him, only to say that 5 months on, he continues to have covid fog. He has gotten the vaccination (both shots). It was a tough day or two after each shot because he did already have some antibodies but he feels strongly that he needed to do so. From a pragmatic standpoint, as travelers it's important to have the vaccine. Many countries are now requiring it for entry. I saw a report just yesterday that we will be able to enter Canada with proof of vaccine come mid August.
renila, huie, Redhead and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
While there are some countries that treat a person recovered from Covid within the last 3-6 months the same as fully vaccinated in terms of entry requirements, everything I've read cuts it off no more than 6 months. Therefore, your friend will be considered no different than anyone else who is not vaccinated. They need to research which counties allow non vaccinated tourists, and what the entry requirements are (e.g. negative Covid test), and plan to visit one of those places.
adrianlondon and largeeyes like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
International travel will require vaccination for the foreseeable future. If you want to travel, you get the shots.

That will only change when nearly everybody gets their vaccines too, and stops trying to piggyback on the efforts of the responsible part of society.
largeeyes, JBJ2435 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting, Denmark recognizes 12-months post-Covid recovery:

"People previously infected with COVID-19 must therefore be able to present documentation showing a positive PCR test taken at least 14 days and no more than twelve months prior to boarding the aircraft and prior to the time of entry in order to be eligible.

https://en.coronasmitte.dk/rules-and...ts-upon-entry?
RaindropT likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
...Feel free to also discuss pros & cons of vaccination for recovered persons in general - an interesting subject in itself.
The best strategy is getting vaccinated and all booster shots as they are produced. There's no "lifetime immunity" due to virus mutations. If someone has recovered from the original Wuhan variety, their resistance to the current Delta variety is less than half. It's also best to get the boosters quick -- otherwise the virus will mutate again, and we'll be chasing that process forever.
Kevin AA and outgoing like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Natural immunity - data from Israel :

https://newsrescue.com/delta-variant...li-govt-shows/
annihilation and RaindropT like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MaxVO
The best strategy is getting vaccinated and all booster shots as they are produced. There's no "lifetime immunity" due to virus mutations. If someone has recovered from the original Wuhan variety, their resistance to the current Delta variety is less than half. It's also best to get the boosters quick -- otherwise the virus will mutate again, and we'll be chasing that process forever.
Are you saying this because you think its the right thing or that its the best "strategy" to be allow to travel? Even the later is absolutely untrue, they want last dose within 180 days, some versions aren't approved, you can still get COVID and transmit. Vaccination is doing nothing to reduce cases or transmission. Considering a lot of people with co-mobitities died over the past two winters, I am still unsold on the "protection" this will afford anyone.

I think considering the OP, I too would question the need to get vaccinated now and would suggest most countries are allowing a negative test if they are allowing travel at all. I would stick with that as the immediate strategy.
RaindropT, BLV and timesnaps like this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Natural immunity - data from Israel
Conveniently not mentioning what group do those who have both been previously infected AND vaccinated fall into.
8420PR likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:46 am

The link you posted is purposely mis-representing the facts - I assume with the agenda to get people to avoid vaccination.

Here is an example of much better journalism, with links to scientific papers:
https://theconversation.com/delta-va...navirus-164203

In summary: vaccination is a much more reliable way to avoid serious covid infections, compared purely to previous infections. Vaccination and previous infection provides the best prevention.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 10:35 am
Community Director Emerita

I found this very improbable so forwarded the link to a friend in the medical field. He did a bit of digging and said:

"It was this statement in the lead paragraph of the article that tipped me off . . .

"If you speak to any man on the street, they will tell you, based on every censored article they read online, that. . . "

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/news-rescue/

News Rescue is an anonymously run Nigerian news and opinion website. They completely lack transparency as they do not have an about page, name editors or owners.

News Rescue reports news summaries and commentary on Nigerian and international news. Articles and headlines often contain loaded emotional wording. . .

News Rescue frequently promotes conspiracy theories regarding Covid-19 as well anti-vaccination misinformation. They also routinely source conspiracy website Zerohedge for stories. In general, story selection favors the right and sometimes is not factual.

There is no indication this is true. “Sounds like conspiracy anti-vax .........”
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by annihilation
Are you saying this because you think its the right thing or that its the best "strategy" to be allow to travel? Even the later is absolutely untrue, they want last dose within 180 days, some versions aren't approved, you can still get COVID and transmit. Vaccination is doing nothing to reduce cases or transmission. Considering a lot of people with co-mobitities died over the past two winters, I am still unsold on the "protection" this will afford anyone.

I think considering the OP, I too would question the need to get vaccinated now and would suggest most countries are allowing a negative test if they are allowing travel at all. I would stick with that as the immediate strategy.
Vaccines are absolutely reducing transmission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.