Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC vaccine card [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Bob Saccamano
Another thing to consider with the CA vax record and QR code is that it has to be requested each time and is delivered via text message/email. If requesting from outside the US you have to have ability to receive texts else you are screwed. My vax record does not seem to contain my email and hence cant receive it via email. I need to fix that with vax provider to be useful abroad.

Bob
Don't waste your time, no national govt recognizes the CA system.
allset2travel and duluthDL like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Don't waste your time, no national govt recognizes the CA system.
I believe CA is using the "Smart Health Card" open standard [1] which is the same standard Quebec is using at least and probably some others. If you scan the barcode and get a "shc:/" followed by a (large) number of digits that's what it is. There's an online decoder which will expand it so you can see what it contains[2]. I expect it will be widely recognized eventually given multiple jurisdictions are using it.

The downside is it's *much* more verbose than the EU format so I expect it'll often be hard to scan the barcodes. If the printout is too small or too low resolution or the camera scanning it isn't great or doesn't have great light it'll be pretty hard to scan such large detailed barcodes.

[1] https://smarthealth.cards/
[2] https://bramp.github.io/smart-health-card-scanner/
Old Jul 15, 2021, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by LHR FLYER
Has anyone found a way to have their CDC card converted into something digital like our European cousins have for travel?
Fwiw I was able to register my CDC card with the Quebec vaccination database and generate a Proof of Vaccination that includes a SHC barcode. It lists the country of vaccination though so I'm guessing other countries might see that and want to see the original CDC card.

If you visit Europe the European system anticipates countries you stay in issuing certificates to you. The rules on what vaccines they'll accept and whether you're eligible will vary from country to country. Presumably the more the country imposes requirements to have certificates the more likely they'll be issuing them to visitors. If you're a resident and eligible for health care there they'll almost certainly have some way to register your vaccines. The EU standard does include provision for certs that don't have any vaccines, just tests too.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
Fwiw I was able to register my CDC card with the Quebec vaccination database and generate a Proof of Vaccination
And that just proves my point. Anyone can buy a CDC card for $5 and fill out it, then register it as a proof of vaccine. But what does that actually prove? Nothing.

I'm sure the digital systems are secure, but the data they contain is not. In most places, you don't need ID to get a vaccine, you can give someone else's name and DOB and boom, that unvaccinated person now has proof of vaccine.
justforfun and gudugan like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:36 am

And that just proves my point. Anyone can buy a CDC card for $5 and fill out it, then register it as a proof of vaccine.
Sure. And you know what costs $5 less than that...

You also forgot the part about committing fraud and risking fines or criminal charges...
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:49 am

Sure. And you know what costs $5 less than that...

You also forgot the part about committing fraud and risking fines or criminal charges...
You said that you were able to register your CDC card to generate a "proof" of vaccine with a barcode.

I'm simply saying that doesn't prove anything. It's a problem that's often called garbage in, garbage out. The Quebec barcode system may be as secure as the nuclear codes. But the handwritten card that you used to get that barcode is not secure. You could have written it yourself, we'll never know. Therefore, the barcode you got from that proves nothing. Nothing at all.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 1:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
How does the NYS Excelsior Pass fit into the "big picture"?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
How does the NYS Excelsior Pass fit into the "big picture"?
It does not. No one in NYC actually checks this pass (visited many crowded bars and dance clubs in manhattan without having to show the pass), and since this isn't a federal pass it has zero value for any international travel.
duluthDL and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:36 pm

Fwiw I was able to register my CDC card with the Quebec vaccination database and generate a Proof of Vaccination that includes a SHC barcode. It lists the country of vaccination though so I'm guessing other countries might see that and want to see the original CDC card.
You had to do this in person or online possible?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
You had to do this in person or online possible?
In person. Scheduled an appointment in the vaccine scheduling system for the purpose specially. Brought the vaccine card and my health care card to the location and it was handled by the information desk right away, no waiting or hassles. Then downloaded the vaccine proof from the web just as if I had it done locally.

From the latest numbers 29 782 "doses" outside Quebec have been registered in the database.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It does not. No one in NYC actually checks this pass (visited many crowded bars and dance clubs in manhattan without having to show the pass), and since this isn't a federal pass it has zero value for any international travel.
But it does have a QR code--which shows (after being scanned) your vaccination status and is "tamper" proof(?)
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by suec1
Do you think if we show our cards to a Delta agent at a domestic check-in, they could tell us if they are going o be acceptable for or flight to Italy. Thanks!
If you're unsure you can walk into any Publix pharmacy and ask them to print up a new one. They all have access to the database for all publix pharmacies. At least within the state but I suspect company-wide.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:14 am

I've now had my 100% handwritten CDC card (no printed labels at all) accepted by Aeroflot check in staff (in SVO) for a flight to IST (I was worried about this given Russian love for official looking documents with stamps and seals and QR codes). Also worked at the Bulgarian land border's medical checkpoint right after passport control. So far, so good - hope it keeps working.

At this point I'd feel pretty comfortable using it at places that have actually seen a lot of American CDC cards.
allset2travel and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by tlott
I've now had my 100% handwritten CDC card (no printed labels at all) accepted by Aeroflot check in staff (in SVO) for a flight to IST (I was worried about this given Russian love for official looking documents with stamps and seals and QR codes). Also worked at the Bulgarian land border's medical checkpoint right after passport control. So far, so good - hope it keeps working.

At this point I'd feel pretty comfortable using it at places that have actually seen a lot of American CDC cards.
Any country that accepts Americans has to accept the CDC card. There is no alternative. The state QR systems are not recognized by any country
duluthDL likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Any country that accepts Americans has to accept the CDC card. There is no alternative. The state QR systems are not recognized by any country
Well, we'd like them to but no, they really don't have to. If they want to accept US citizens vaccinated in the US, they may have to approve other forms of entry alternatives (like a PCR test) but they don't have to accept the CDC card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.