Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 2, 21, 3:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 17, 21, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
I've been visiting the US recently and it feels exactly like 2019. Only difference is that Uber is ridiculously expensive and there is a bit less traffic.
Many companies are targeting Labor Day for return to office so hopefully Uber becomes cheaper but traffic will increase again. Oh bother.
Uber is not the only thing that costs a lot more. Almost everything in US is costing more. US is hit with severe inflation!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat View Post
We saw the numbers too. They were just 1,2,3,4. It helped an agent (not CBP) direct people to one of the "Stations". Like jetbridge security in HKG, just without tables. Assignment seemed random. All passengers in front of us were sent to one of them, but once we got there, they were full, so we were let through (Also I was carrying my toddler, so that might have helped too).
Interesting. So, it not a good idea to deplane early, like the first 5 or 6 pax!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 18, 21, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Interesting. So, it not a good idea to deplane early, like the first 5 or 6 pax!
Funny thing is that sitting in row 9, right by the door, we most likely would've been in that first set. But the nice lady behind us assumed that with a 3-year old we'd take forever to get ready so she pushed by us. Needless to say, we were standing right behind her waiting for the door to open for 5 min. But then at the end of jetbridge... she was sent to the last free "health agent" and we were sent on our way
PlowJockey and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 18, 21, 1:27 pm

all these sudden checks on US end seems a little too little and too late. but maybe it is a California DoH thing? rather than CDC. I guess more datapoints will tell the story.

also interesting that both reported DP involve EU flights
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 18, 21, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
Sounds like they brought back the medical teams which started to meet arriving international flights in March of 2020. Interesting.
Yes, indeed. It sounds like the stuff I would see on my arrivals at US airports of entry from mid-March 2020 and at times thereafter. But for whatever reason, I never got directed to those health stations -- even when most or all of the health control workers there were free -- despite having just come from the very parts of Europe subjected to the US's Covid-19-related travel bans. It wasn't until 2021 that there was a US Covid-19 testing requirement to fly to the US. If this requirement had gone into place in March 2020, there would have been even more problems with people getting to the US, as there was very limited testing capacity abroad at the time.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 21, 8:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Just want to make sure I am understanding the requirements correctly. I've read that the test must be done within 72 hours of departure, and then read on the CDC site that it must be within 3 calendar days.

So if I have a departure back to the USA on a Thursday at 3PM - can I do the test anytime Mon/Tues/Wed, or do I have to wait until Monday 3PM? I want to get it done as early as possible on my trip.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 25, 21, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Just want to make sure I am understanding the requirements correctly. I've read that the test must be done within 72 hours of departure, and then read on the CDC site that it must be within 3 calendar days.

So if I have a departure back to the USA on a Thursday at 3PM - can I do the test anytime Mon/Tues/Wed, or do I have to wait until Monday 3PM? I want to get it done as early as possible on my trip.
Anytime Monday or after. I do mine as early as possible in case there's a false-positive. Just be aware that some countries are still 72 hours, not three days. It would suck if your flight is cancelled and they re-route you over, say, London, and your test isn't new enough. Probably won't happen, but it's a reason to keep another kit with you. Seriously, if there's a flight irregularity that puts you 12 hours behind schedule, it could be a problem.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Jul 25, 21, 1:54 pm

Update. 1 week until august…
Old Jul 25, 21, 2:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
Anytime Monday or after. I do mine as early as possible in case there's a false-positive. Just be aware that some countries are still 72 hours, not three days. It would suck if your flight is cancelled and they re-route you over, say, London, and your test isn't new enough. Probably won't happen, but it's a reason to keep another kit with you. Seriously, if there's a flight irregularity that puts you 12 hours behind schedule, it could be a problem.

Good luck - Jamie
Note that for flights to the US, the above-linked CDC page specifies leeway for delays outside the passenger's control:

What happens if my flight (or first flight if itinerary includes connecting flights) is delayed past the 3-day limit for testing?
If the initial departing flight in your trip is delayed past the 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is 24 hours or less past the 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested. If the delay is more than 24 hours past the 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.

What happens if my connecting flight is delayed past the 3-day limit for testing?
If the connecting flight in your trip is delayed past the 3-day limit of testing due to a situation outside of your control (e.g., delays because of severe weather or aircraft mechanical problem), and that delay is less than 48 hours past the 3-day limit for testing, you do not need to be retested. If the delay is more than 48 hours past the 3-day limit, then you will need to be retested.
Originally Posted by michael1023 View Post
Update. 1 week until august…
What happens, or is supposed to happen, in August?
EmailKid and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 25, 21, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Note that for flights to the US, the above-linked CDC page specifies leeway for delays outside the passenger's control:

What happens, or is supposed to happen, in August?
well, hopefully, they rescind this requirement..but so far...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 25, 21, 4:36 pm

[QUOTE=84fiero;33436694]Note that for flights to the US, the above-linked CDC page specifies leeway for delays outside the passenger's control:

I am not sure if I quite trust the foreign agents will follow the above rule to the T

there are already people having issues with the 3 days vs 72 hours rules.
jamienbaker and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 6:57 am

[QUOTE=gnomey;33436985]
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post

I am not sure if I quite trust the foreign agents will follow the above rule to the T

there are already people having issues with the 3 days vs 72 hours rules.
Right. Im aware of the delay rule, but presumably that pertains to nonstops. Good luck explaining the rule to an agent in Heathrow.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 7:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I just ordered my BinaxNows. I think by the time I'm ready to travel in a month, hopefully Europe's wave is receding (which might be the case based on the UK...very optimistic I am!).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
well, hopefully, they rescind this requirement..but so far...
That would be ideal! At least for vaccinated travelers anyway.

Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post

Right. I’m aware of the delay rule, but presumably that pertains to nonstops. Good luck explaining the rule to an agent in Heathrow.
No, the quoted texts directly address connections:

What happens if my flight (or first flight if itinerary includes connecting flights) is delayed past the 3-day limit for testing?
What happens if my connecting flight is delayed past the 3-day limit for testing?
[emphasis added]

Sure sometimes one encounters a poor agent but not always, and supervisor escalation usually resolves such IME. Regardless, it's best to begin with knowledge of the specific rules as published.
prof likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Update. 1 week until august
I guess you are just bored or something, but you do realize that most everyone in this thread probably would like this requirement removed and yet... literally nobody here has any power to actually make that happen.

We are all aware this is still in place and will be aware when it's removed, with or without a "monthly reminder."

Regards
SamirD and michael1023 like this.

Search this Thread