Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 2, 21, 3:53 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 16, 21, 8:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by exp View Post
Has anyone gotten the antigen test in Italy or Austria?

Is it easy to find?

I just went through this to get a test in France (fortunately many pharmacies do the test, not sell you self-test kits as is the case in Spain).

Now I have to make sure I can get a test in Italy or Austria next month. Or whether I should just buy the Binaxx test kits.
Very easy in Austria - almost every pharmacy has the tests there are also labs throughout the city (I've used Synlab which has several different locations in Vienna - https://www.synlab.com/ - the antigen test is 25 Euro). You can also get antigen and PCR testing at VIE.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 21, 8:16 am

You may also be able to get the free PCR gargle test at any BIPA store:

https://allesgurgelt.at/en/home/
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 21, 1:37 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by jamienbaker View Post
But why would you NOT want to buy the test? Why deal with potential language barriers, having to disrupt your schedule, having to wait in linewhen you can just take a test in your apartment/hotel as part of your morning routine?

Sounds like a hassle to carry, needing to keep the liquids at certain temperatures.

I got an antigen test in France for 25 and it came with official QR code. WAs wondering if Italy or Austria offered something similar.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 21, 1:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcmike View Post
Very easy in Austria - almost every pharmacy has the tests there are also labs throughout the city (I've used Synlab which has several different locations in Vienna - https://www.synlab.com/ - the antigen test is 25 Euro). You can also get antigen and PCR testing at VIE.

Looks like both of those projects are mainly for Vienna. I searched Synlab and they showed the nearest over 350 kilometers away.

And the Bipa link specifically cites only Vienna.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 21, 2:00 pm

There are some very useful threads in the Italy forum about where to get tests [here] and [here]. Also this site seems to list locations around the country. In a few weeks I will be able to report back on my experience.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 16, 21, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Is this a supervised test? If not, I assume it wouldn't work for travel back to the USA.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this a supervised test? If not, I assume it wouldn't work for travel back to the USA.
You have to video yourself taking the test via an app and that video is then reviewed to determine you have taken the test correctly. I know people who have used it to travel to the U.S.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 6:56 am

Looks like both of those projects are mainly for Vienna. I searched Synlab and they showed the nearest over 350 kilometers away.

And the Bipa link specifically cites only Vienna.
Sorry, it is Vienna and Upper Austria specific. But it is easy to get tested in other cities as well - I would reach out to your hotel, who I am sure could recommend something.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Some kind of health check on arrival at SFO

Recently coming back from EU, landing at SFO. There was some kind of a check in the jetbridge as we got off. 3-4 people in PPE and some passengers directed to them for questioning. What is that all about? Is that a local (CA or San Mateo county) health department thing?
We got lucky because we were #5 off the plane and since all 4 of them questioners were busy, we were just let through, so #1 at passport control.
allset2travel and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by fatlasercat View Post
Recently coming back from EU, landing at SFO. There was some kind of a check in the jetbridge as we got off. 3-4 people in PPE and some passengers directed to them for questioning. What is that all about? Is that a local (CA or San Mateo county) health department thing?
We got lucky because we were #5 off the plane and since all 4 of them questioners were busy, we were just let through, so #1 at passport control.
Interesting. I would like to hear more about that. When we arrived in SFO from the EU a little over a week ago, I didn’t notice anything being in our Global Entry bubble, only that the GE interview on arrival sign was out. But the check yiou’re describing may well be some sort of health spot check; in CPH that we went to, the CDC card alone would generally be enough on arrival, but occasionally people would be pulled aside to take an antigen test.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 12:51 pm
exp
Suspended

I got off a FRA-SFO flight Thursday afternoon.

There were like a half dozen people in PPE -- masks and face shields, with signs holding up some numbers -- in the jetway as soon as you got off the plane.

Maybe some people had requested tests or maybe they tested positive and were flown home?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I got off a FRA-SFO flight Thursday afternoon.

There were like a half dozen people in PPE -- masks and face shields, with signs holding up some numbers -- in the jetway as soon as you got off the plane.

Maybe some people had requested tests or maybe they tested positive and were flown home?
Numbers of/for what? Seat numbers?

I would assume that anyone who has tested positive would not be permitted to fly to the USA at this time on a commercial aircraft. If so, what's the point of requiring a test before flying to the USA? Medical evacuation flight perhaps, if the country where the person is located permits this and maybe even a private jet, but not to sit among others and mingle in the airport etc.
allset2travel and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 1:37 pm
exp
Suspended

I would assume that anyone who has tested positive would not be permitted to fly to the USA at this time on a commercial aircraft. If so, what's the point of requiring a test before flying to the USA? Medical evacuation flight perhaps, if the country where the person is located permits this and maybe even a private jet, but not to sit among others and mingle in the airport etc.
I thought they were just numbers. The people whom they were waiting for presumably were told to look for those numbers maybe?

But they clearly were waiting to meet people coming out of the plane.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
We saw the numbers too. They were just 1,2,3,4. It helped an agent (not CBP) direct people to one of the "Stations". Like jetbridge security in HKG, just without tables. Assignment seemed random. All passengers in front of us were sent to one of them, but once we got there, they were full, so we were let through (Also I was carrying my toddler, so that might have helped too).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 17, 21, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by fatlasercat View Post
Sounds like they brought back the medical teams which started to meet arriving international flights in March of 2020. Interesting.
GUWonder and SamirD like this.

Search this Thread