Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:05 am

Random question that someone in this thread might be able to answer (given it's regarding entry to the US)...

Are there any countries that would work as quarantine / staging countries for entry to the US from the UK for British citizen? For instance, could you theoretically fly to Iceland, stay for 14 days, and then take a flight to the US and be allowed entry? From what I'm reading on the ESTA site, it would need to be outside of the UK and Europe, but I'm not sure which countries would potentially work best.

Apologies if it's slightly off topic, I didn't think it was worth creating a thread for.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
My situation is as follow:

Day 1 - ticket 1 - ZRH-WAW
Next day - Day 2 - ticket 2 (separate ticket from ticket 1) - WAW-ZRH connecting same day ZRH-MIA

I want to get the test done already in ZRH since I live in ZRH on Day 0. Can I do that, or I should do the test in WAW?

I‘ve not sure how to interpret „ … first point of embarkation … “
Old Jul 10, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by RG1X
Random question that someone in this thread might be able to answer (given it's regarding entry to the US)...

Are there any countries that would work as quarantine / staging countries for entry to the US from the UK for British citizen? For instance, could you theoretically fly to Iceland, stay for 14 days, and then take a flight to the US and be allowed entry? From what I'm reading on the ESTA site, it would need to be outside of the UK and Europe, but I'm not sure which countries would potentially work best.

Apologies if it's slightly off topic, I didn't think it was worth creating a thread for.
Turkey, Mexico, Aruba, Curacao etc. etc. etc. There's loads. Just pick one that works for you. I think most from the UK do Mexico.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by itisme
Turkey, Mexico, Aruba, Curacao etc. etc. etc. There's loads. Just pick one that works for you. I think most from the UK do Mexico.
Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by Finkface
Changing your location or even using a VPN won’t work to download the Navica app. Many people I know have tried with no success, both ios and Android. Maybe you will get lucky but I would give it a try now. You don’t need the tests to download the app. However, you don’t need the app necessarily. You can just ise the website which is what my Canadian friends did.
I got it. IOs is easier because they assign you a store country regardless of where you are geographically - so I just changed mine to USA and it worked. Looks like my test kits are almost here .. For Android - is is a real pain - you are typically assigned a location based on where you are.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 10:57 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I got it. IOs is easier because they assign you a store country regardless of where you are geographically - so I just changed mine to USA and it worked. Looks like my test kits are almost here .. For Android - is is a real pain - you are typically assigned a location based on where you are.
Good to hear! And in any case, you can just use the website if necessary anyway.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 12:26 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I found out that in France, antigen tests are common in pharmacies but that is not the case in Spain, where they will sell you a self-test kit but that may not be sufficient to meet the US requirement for entry into the US.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by exp
I found out that in France, antigen tests are common in pharmacies but that is not the case in Spain, where they will sell you a self-test kit but that may not be sufficient to meet the US requirement for entry into the US.
self-test kits are not sufficient anywhere unless someone is monitoring you remotely taking the test and creating a certificate that meets the requirements which is why some Americans are buying the abbott test stateside and bringing it abroad.
not2017 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by saaveraward; Jul 11, 2021 at 2:12 am
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:08 am
exp
Suspended

I suspect as much. I emailed a couple of pharmacies in Barcelona and one of them said they could get me a prescription from a doctor to be able to buy the self-test while others said they can sell me the test without prescription.

So not a reliable situation there.

I guess I'll take the test in France and it will be exactly 3 days, not 72 hours, before my flight back to the US.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by exp
I suspect as much. I emailed a couple of pharmacies in Barcelona and one of them said they could get me a prescription from a doctor to be able to buy the self-test while others said they can sell me the test without prescription.

So not a reliable situation there.

I guess I'll take the test in France and it will be exactly 3 days, not 72 hours, before my flight back to the US.
France is super easy. Just be advised, most pharmacies are not open on Sunday and Bastille Day is this week and also, despite everyone saying they're free for tourists, I couldn't find a free one (although only tried two places). I paid euro 29 and definitely worth the price for convenience.
lobo411 and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by saaveraward
France is super easy. Just be advised, most pharmacies are not open on Sunday and Bastille Day is this week and also, despite everyone saying they're free for tourists, I couldn't find a free one (although only tried two places). I paid euro 29 and definitely worth the price for convenience.
it’s not free anymore for foreign tourists in France : €29 for antigen and €49 for PCR. As you said, getting tested in France is very easy. In any city, you can get tested almost at each street corner.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by exp
But Rapid Antigen Tests are common at clinics in Madrid, Spain - got one last week with ease. Very simple process; would do it again rather than mucking about with the kits.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:29 am
exp
Suspended

Originally Posted by seanp7
But Rapid Antigen Tests are common at clinics in Madrid, Spain - got one last week with ease. Very simple process; would do it again rather than mucking about with the kits.
At least in Barcelona, the clinics and labs don't seem to be in all the tourist areas, like around Plaza Catalunya. So I was hoping pharmacies, which are everywhere, would offer it like they do in France.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by exp
At least in Barcelona, the clinics and labs don't seem to be in all the tourist areas, like around Plaza Catalunya. So I was hoping pharmacies, which are everywhere, would offer it like they do in France.
Use the metro, there and back in 30 mins. Easy.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
If I understand it correctly, "US to require Covid test for international arrivals" is not quite accurate. How about "US to require Covid test at departure for international arrivals”? At least, that’s my experience from a flight the other day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.