Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by channonc
Recently returned from a trip to Paris earlier this week. We used the Emed tests that we brought with us from home. Flew AF both directions in/out of IAD. Air France had not seen the Emed tests before but agent was totally ok once he scrolled through the results as shown through the app on our phones. Took a couple of additional seconds but no trouble at all. As others mentioned, we had our accounts set up and apps downloaded before we left the USA.
I'm going to France next week and I'm curious. Is there some reason you did your own test instead of doing an antigen test at a pharmacy in France? I read that the cost is 29 EUR=$34 USD, so it's approximately the same. I was planning on just going to a pharmacy when I return from my trip, but I'm wondering if there's some downside to doing that that I hadn't foreseen.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Thank you. I have a friend sending the kits by fedex. As for the APP - I have the ability to change the region on my AppStore and already have the Navica account and APP. Looks like the Covid test is really something the airline checks and not the immigration.

Can anyone comment if DHS agents look at PCR tests - especially from remote pre-clearance stations abroad? Or - is this done by the airline. If it is the Airline - then for sure I can see it will work as UA says this is ok.
Changing your location or even using a VPN won’t work to download the Navica app. Many people I know have tried with no success, both ios and Android. Maybe you will get lucky but I would give it a try now. You don’t need the tests to download the app. However, you don’t need the app necessarily. You can just ise the website which is what my Canadian friends did.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lobo411
I'm going to France next week and I'm curious. Is there some reason you did your own test instead of doing an antigen test at a pharmacy in France? I read that the cost is 29 EUR=$34 USD, so it's approximately the same. I was planning on just going to a pharmacy when I return from my trip, but I'm wondering if there's some downside to doing that that I hadn't foreseen.
The outcome/options that may follow from the result of initially testing as positive could be different. Are these remote test verification services reporting positive test results to the country hosting the visitor who tested positive?
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The outcome/options that may follow from the result of initially testing as positive could be different. Are these remote test verification services reporting positive test results to the country hosting the visitor who tested positive?
Good question...I'd like to know the answer too!
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: MileagePlus
I'm a little confused on this. Can anyone check the timeline with me?

Thursday - fly to Spain
Come home MONDAY - can I take the test on Friday morning as soon as I land in Spain? That's within 3 days....Friday, Saturday, Sunday...Monday?

Or does it have to be Saturday?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by kac2138
I'm a little confused on this. Can anyone check the timeline with me?

Thursday - fly to Spain
Come home MONDAY - can I take the test on Friday morning as soon as I land in Spain? That's within 3 days....Friday, Saturday, Sunday...Monday?

Or does it have to be Saturday?
Yes, you could take the COVID test on Monday morning.
However, it would make much sense if you take an antigen test on Saturday or on Sunday just in case your flight gets delayed, cancelled, etc...
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, you could take the COVID test on Monday morning.
However, it would make much sense if you take an antigen test on Saturday or on Sunday just in case your flight gets delayed, cancelled, etc...
I know I could take it Monday morning, I was thinking if I want to minimize the risk of actually testing positive for it while I'm in Spain, and I could take it ASAP, should I do that? I'm trying to figure out what the earliest I could take it is.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I know I could take it Monday morning, I was thinking if I want to minimize the risk of actually testing positive for it while I'm in Spain, and I could take it ASAP, should I do that? I'm trying to figure out what the earliest I could take it is.
Well, that's not really the goal of the test . I was just in MAD and certain clinics were open Sat & Sun for a rapid antigen test. I would just do it Saturday to be safe because you are well within the window, but you avoid Sunday closures or the stress of Monday.

FYI, Madrid lifted a mask mandate June 30 but most people, including vaccinated, are still wearing masks indoors and outdoors. Check your local rules and play it safe and you'll have a great time.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
We probably will see that, if this BS continues long enough.
Worse yet, someone who has been fully vaccinated will nevertheless get a (false) positive test result, and either lose their job, commit suicide, or die of something else while trapped in that foreign country's mandatory quarantine facilities.
JNelson113, lobo411 and lhrhappy like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tr561
Can you use Emed for Jet Blue return to the U.S ? Seems like Jetblue's version of Emed (Vault) is no where near as practical as you have to send it away, vs a Zoom call. Bottom line, do you have to use each airline's "at home partner" ? Hoping to use Emed for flight home on Jetblue.
The Vault tests that I know are self administered saliva tests done under zoom supervision. You then take it to a UPS office for delivery to Vault to be processed.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by tr561
My 4 and 6 year olds need to own their own tablets to get back home ???
If you want to do contactless then the Navica app only allows one certificate per device. You can always print out the results.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
We decided to go ahead and bring the at home tests with us for a couple of reasons 1) at the time of booking, it was still unclear which antigen tests would be accepted and didn't want to risk it; and 2) we just didn't know how much time it would take to go get a test on the ground and figured it was worth paying for the convenience. However, on the ground there were testing sites everywhere so I think getting a test quickly would not be a problem. Of course YMMV.
seanp7 and lobo411 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by channonc
We decided to go ahead and bring the at home tests with us for a couple of reasons 1) at the time of booking, it was still unclear which antigen tests would be accepted and didn't want to risk it; and 2) we just didn't know how much time it would take to go get a test on the ground and figured it was worth paying for the convenience. However, on the ground there were testing sites everywhere so I think getting a test quickly would not be a problem. Of course YMMV.
Same with Spain; it was a piece of cake in Madrid (and I don't really speak Spanish). They are geared for rapid PCR or Antigen testing (result in 30 mins). Other locations YMMV. I didn't order or use the home test approach.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
Well, that's not really the goal of the test . I was just in MAD and certain clinics were open Sat & Sun for a rapid antigen test. I would just do it Saturday to be safe because you are well within the window, but you avoid Sunday closures or the stress of Monday.

FYI, Madrid lifted a mask mandate June 30 but most people, including vaccinated, are still wearing masks indoors and outdoors. Check your local rules and play it safe and you'll have a great time.
What did it cost to have the test done locally?

Cause Abbott's test are like...$150 / 6 and I plan to use at least 4 this year. So I may just get the eMed ones for security.
lobo411 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:45 pm

What did it cost to have the test done locally?

Cause Abbott's test are like...$150 / 6 and I plan to use at least 4 this year. So I may just get the eMed ones for security.
40€. Definitely on the higher end, but mine was a one off, was super quick, in person, and I won't use 6.
This site does it at MAD airport for 24.45€. There's probably other city locations if you google around. The hotel I was staying at proposed a location, too.
lobo411 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.