Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by sgopal2
They will only ship the eMed kits to a US address. You'll need a US based person to physically transport the kit outside of the country. During the Navica proctored session, they will ask for your passport, and do a screenshot. Not sure if it matters if you are a US citizen or not.
I have the kits here now - they were brought by someone for me from the US.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
Regarding the Abbott self-test kits and the Navica app. Is there a prohibition from non-residents using theses? Assuming I get the test kits, and setup the account, is there any reason that this is somehow prohibited?
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
I have the kits here now - they were brought by someone for me from the US.
No problem at all. Anyone can use them. If you have the kits, you are good to go.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by eerickson7
I'm confused, too.

Do you have to order your BinaxNow test from eMed to get the proctor and verified results? They are only offering the 6-pack for $150. And would I need to order two six-packs to test two people, since there seems to be some strange no-sharing rule?

Or can you get the proctored results with the cheaper one (2 for ~$20 at Walmart/CVS)?
Precisely - only tests purchased through eMed are "proctorable." You can't take one purchased POS retail and turn it into a supervised test, even though the test itself is the same.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
Precisely - only tests purchased through eMed are "proctorable." You can't take one purchased POS retail and turn it into a supervised test, even though the test itself is the same.
Are you sure? I thought I saw an option on their website to pay only for the supervision and book an appointment for the test. IIRC the fee was $20.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Posting again because this disappeared.

Anyway I cleared CBP today at DFW from LHR. After I handed the agent my global entry receipt I asked him if he needed to see my negative test result. He said "no we don't. We aren't the covid police. That's an airline thing".

Last edited by enviroian; Jul 1, 2021 at 2:08 pm
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure? I thought I saw an option on their website to pay only for the supervision and book an appointment for the test. IIRC the fee was $20.
Let me start by acknowledging the absurdity, but...in theory, they are not yet offering the tests that can be monitored in retail channels. The images below are gratuitously confusing considering that they look same, I believe are the same and simply have different packaging. But....

Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by enviroian
Posting again because this disappeared.

Anyway I cleared CBP today at DFW from LHR. After I handed the agent my global entry receipt I asked him if he needed to see my negative test result. He said "no we don't. We aren't the covid police. That's an airline thing".
(my emphasis)

This to me is the most concerning part. It's all on individual airline check-in staffers in foreign countries to assure compliance with this CDC negative test requirement. I see all sorts of ways they might misunderstand the requirements and refuse to let you board, even though you have met the CDC requirements to the letter. It won't be much comfort if after your plane departs, you straighten it all out and have to wait another day for the next flight.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 9:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dhuey
(my emphasis)

This to me is the most concerning part. It's all on individual airline check-in staffers in foreign countries to assure compliance with this CDC negative test requirement. I see all sorts of ways they might misunderstand the requirements and refuse to let you board, even though you have met the CDC requirements to the letter. It won't be much comfort if after your plane departs, you straighten it all out and have to wait another day for the next flight.
So airlines should state EXACTLY what documents they want pax to show before boarding--it shouldn't be a "guessing game".
[TIMATIC is supposed to be the "official" place both airlines and pax search to find what the rules are--is this really the case?]
Silver Fox and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
So airlines should state EXACTLY what documents they want pax to show before boarding--it shouldn't be a "guessing game".
[TIMATIC is supposed to be the "official" place both airlines and pax search to find what the rules are--is this really the case?]
So the agent made it clear to me a negative test isn’t required for entry into the US. Shouldn’t he said instead of saying it’s an airline thing it’s a CDC requirement?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:12 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
So the agent made it clear to me a negative test isn’t required for entry into the US. Shouldn’t he said instead of saying it’s an airline thing it’s a CDC requirement?
Since (it seems that) CBP is not dealing with Covid testing that is one item pax won't be worrying about. If you can't board the plane you won't get to the US, so as I noted above everything hinges on what airlines are requiring to let pax board.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 2:48 pm

Yes, it's true that a negative test isn't required for re-entry into the U.S. for citizens and permanent residents, but there's a pretty big caveat to that -- it is required if you want to hop on an airplane for your return home.

Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
enviroian and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So can you buy one of the approved, proctored kits at a pharmacy (in the US), or can it only be purchased on-line? I leave for France on July 8th and the on-line website says that's not enough time for delivery.

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So can you buy one of the approved, proctored kits at a pharmacy (in the US), or can it only be purchased on-line? I leave for France on July 8th and the on-line website says that's not enough time for delivery.

Thanks!
The six pack of binaxNOW tests took 2 days to get to my house from day of ordering.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

Thanks!
Seems like only online, and they only sell them in a 6 pack for $150. From what I've read, testing is widely available at pharmacies throughout France, and my return airport's website says they have PCR or antigen testing there too. Testing is currently free for tourists, but after July 7 it'll be 49 euros for a PCR test or 29 euros for an antigen test. So I don't think it makes sense for me to use an online, proctored test. Maybe if I was traveling with 4 or 5 people, or visiting a country where testing costs are outrageous, it would pencil out. But solo to France...nope.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:30 pm

I just plopped down $231 for three 2-packs of the Abbott test (Optum website). So I expect that any day now the CDC will drop the negative test requirement for fully-vaccinated Americans on their return.
xanthuos and lobo411 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.