Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
When the airlines cancel flights because there are only a dozen pax on board, it will effectively become a blanket travel ban.
If you look at the current flights between the US and Europe, you'll see that it is flying at the absolute minimum capacity and on key routes only (e.g. Los Angeles-London, Dallas-London, New York-London). The logic behind this testing program is to lift the travel ban, and start to see more demand = more flights.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by destone
If you look at the current flights between the US and Europe, you'll see that it is flying at the absolute minimum capacity and on key routes only (e.g. Los Angeles-London, Dallas-London, New York-London). The logic behind this testing program is to lift the travel ban, and start to see more demand = more flights.
Except that this Covid test requirement is totally independent of the existing travel ban... and no indication that any bans will be lifted. This has a much wider impact than just London/UK.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhm, maybe don't vacation abroad in a global pandemic? Does vacation sound like "essential" travel to you?
first it does not prevent nonessential travel - people just need to test

second let's get real: it is not a choice of vacation abroad vs all stay locked at home and don't get out, it is usually vacation abroad in controlled environment vs anything goes with kids having playdates adults meeting with extended families etc etc... plus throngs of people at domestic destinations..
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Except that this Covid test requirement is totally independent of the existing travel ban... and no indication that any bans will be lifted. This has a much wider impact than just London/UK.
Testing must be in place before the new president can revoke the executive orders on travel bans. This is why the airlines pushed hard for this testing requirement.
ExpatExp and Often1 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
We will have to see if it actually get implemented, and then if someone runs to SCOTUS to get an injunction. No doubt in my mind this will end up in the courts.
I have two foreign trips plans this winter and spring, but fortunately with miles only. Should be easy to cancel. No way in hell I will give any real money to any airline as long as these reactionary policies are being discussed or are on the books.
Biden administration will put this in place. No grounds for any legal blocks.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I just sent a tweet to AA about my flight to Costa Rica next week and the new testing requirement. Here's what they said:

We’re not seeing a Covid-19 test is required, only recommended. See here: http://connectaa.co/Sherpa.

Clueless. Don't expect to see any accommodations or help from the airlines anytime soon, they don't even know this has happened.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Isnt intl OPM flying pretty much dead anyway? Who would want to fly for work and risk getting stranded? What company would take on that liability?
Plenty of international companies provide medium-term lodging for their employees. If you are stranded as a employee you just stay in your business apartment for a while longer.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for domestic travel? It would certainly keep us all safer. Too many powerful airline lobbyists would fight it?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for you to go have dinner at a local restaurant?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for you to go to the supermarket?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for bus travel?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for AMTRAK travel?
Hell, why doesn't the CDC simply install COVID testing portals at every front door and you are only allowed out if you test negative???
susiesan, Pirrito, Halo117 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Good. Everyone should be staying at home.
Loren Pechtel and Badenoch like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I am not sure why people think that "simply taking a test" will allow them to board their flight home. Sorry folks, it is NOT about the test, it is about GETTING A NEGATIVE! What on earth makes you think that when you are in e.g. Costa Rica your test result will show "negative"?? Fat chance, especially if it is a country ravaged by COVID-19.
So once again, it is not about testing perse, it is about the RISK getting STRANDED.
I'd be more worried about the repercussions of a COVID positive person sitting on a plane with hundred + people for several hours. It is these scenarios which MUST be eliminated.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Uhm, maybe don't vacation abroad in a global pandemic? Does vacation sound like "essential" travel to you?
For many egoist Baby Boomers who live in luxury, it clearly isn't "essential". Unfortunately, many people in Central America, the Caribbean etc. have their livelihoods depend on tourism. You kill that, you kill them.
Want mass hunger, economic collapse, and more refugees arriving at the border? Sure, go ahead and implement your stupid policies.
artemis, susiesan, VonS and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unfortunately this looks as though this is all headed off to OMNI, but the fact remains that the carriers have been pushing hard for a testing regimen which, if it works, can lead to a relaxation and then elimination of the current entry restrictions, especially on high PRASM routes such as LON-NYC. Those "air corridors" will then form the start of a recovery of international air travel on a safe basis with safety first.

Tourism destinations which want US passenger traffic are going to have to figure out how to offer testing for the return and I have no doubt that most places will.

For the moment, I would not depart the US unless I knew that there were adequate arrangements available at the other end.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Unfortunately this looks as though this is all headed off to OMNI, but the fact remains that the carriers have been pushing hard for a testing regimen which, if it works, can lead to a relaxation and then elimination of the current entry restrictions, especially on high PRASM routes such as LON-NYC. Those "air corridors" will then form the start of a recovery of international air travel on a safe basis with safety first.

Tourism destinations which want US passenger traffic are going to have to figure out how to offer testing for the return and I have no doubt that most places will.

For the moment, I would not depart the US unless I knew that there were adequate arrangements available at the other end.
What would you do if those "adequate arrangements" are in place, but then unfortunately test positive? Stay in a Mexican COVID camp?
artemis, Pirrito, rylan and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for you to go have dinner at a local restaurant?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for you to go to the supermarket?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for bus travel?
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for AMTRAK travel?
Hell, why doesn't the CDC simply install COVID testing portals at every front door and you are only allowed out if you test negative???
Don't give them any more ideas.
1P, olegator, Pirrito and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Good. Everyone should be staying at home.
That's the idea. Let 'em all starve.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.