Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Airline are delusional if they think that the average American who can barely afford a vacation for a family of four to Mexico or Europe will take the risk of getting stranded. Not to mention paying for 8 (!) tests. My take is that they will stick to the US. After all, you can have a beach vacation in Florida too.
For business travelers the testing program is a good idea though, but I doubt that TATL travel can survive on business travel only.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
She and her family get a very hard and probably quite expensive lesson on the perils of self-indulgent, non-essential leisure travel during a pandemic.

Canada has had this requirement for a week know. The fury of the non-essential leisure travelers who disregarded the government warning not to travel and now have to produce a negative COVID test is music to the ears of those of us who deferred our travel plans until the all clear is sounded.
Unlike Canada (which with all due respect is not a hub of tourism most of the year) you will only see the same throngs of people packing American destinations. I saw elbow to elbow crowds in national parks last year and it only will get worse.

I'd support the measure a year ago when we needed to prevent virus entry but it serves little purpose now.. our spread is community and family based, removal of travel will only make it worse.
artemis, LETTERBOY and Tiramisu like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Is your current understanding that the world is awash in "efficient and accurate" testing regimes?
Ah, never really thought about it, but "awash" wouldn't describe my understanding or lack thereof. Here's what I do understand. A CX passenger from SFO to HKG may have access to an immediate on clinic test in the terminal with results ready in about 15 minutes. I'd imagine, on the other end in HKG, there'd be a similar procedure. As to how this will or may be implemented is probably determined by each destination and per supply/demand. My interest is only in the pockets where it may be feasible for me to travel to without or with lesser restrictions.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The US travel show has always been on the road throughout 2020 due to lack of testing/quarantine restrictions. US travellers were basically keeping the Mexican and Carribean industries aliive, and with this new rule millions of our neighbors will starve and end up in deep poverty due to lost tourism revenue.
One of my regrets during the pandemic is that I was unaware of this. I think my horizons were too narrow when this thing started, and hopefully they've broadened. On my to-do list is to take my first leisure vacation to a third world country (however that's defined), and am looking forward to it.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
For business travelers the testing program is a good idea though, but I doubt that TATL travel can survive on business travel only.
Isnt intl OPM flying pretty much dead anyway? Who would want to fly for work and risk getting stranded? What company would take on that liability?
Halo117 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
pretty sure those with significant dependency on US tourism will implement testing sites very quickly at airports or clinics.. it is not a difficult thing to set up...
Doubt it. I'll be watching to see how quickly the airlines start canceling their imminent flights to the few countries you can travel to now. I am all set to fly to Costa Rica with AA next week Jan. 20 returning Jan. 30. I am expecting AA to cancel the flights all together when those of us booked for the next month have to cancel our vacations.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for domestic travel? It would certainly keep us all safer. Too many powerful airline lobbyists would fight it?
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:38 pm

I'm wondering if we will be able to waive the requirement with proof that we receive the vaccine...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely mind boggling that airlines would be pushing for this. Immediate effect is going to be the rapid death of what little international travel there was. Hardest hit areas I suspect will be leisure travel/vacation destinations such as the central america and Caribbean. Small countries and islands don't have the infrastructure or capacity to be testing an additional 1000+ visitors a day when that is a 2x or more increase over what they are doing now for their own citizens.

It simply won't be possible to get a test within 3 days of return, and even then people (and businesses) won't take the risk of being stranded in quarantine in another country. So in a nutshell - kiss what little business travel there was goodbye, along with killing whatever recovery there was in leisure travel.
ESpen36, artemis, susiesan and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Airline are delusional if they think that the average American who can barely afford a vacation for a family of four to Mexico or Europe will take the risk of getting stranded. Not to mention paying for 8 (!) tests. My take is that they will stick to the US. After all, you can have a beach vacation in Florida too.
Uhm, maybe don't vacation abroad in a global pandemic? Does vacation sound like "essential" travel to you?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Isnt intl OPM flying pretty much dead anyway? Who would want to fly for work and risk getting stranded? What company would take on that liability?
Yup, there basically is no intl business travel currently, and this will kill whatever was left along with any shred of leisure travel.
artemis likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ski_Bum
I'm wondering if we will be able to waive the requirement with proof that we receive the vaccine...
There is nothing to indicate that this would be the case. There is currently no evidence that the vaccine prevents one from being a carrier and spreading the virus to others.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Yup, there basically is no intl business travel currently, and this will kill whatever was left along with any shred of leisure travel.
Perhaps this is because of the Europe travel ban when you consider the extent of international business between the US and Europe. If testing replaces a blanket ban, I am all for it.
Loren Pechtel and lhrsfo like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:45 pm

Yes but I could not find the original letter. I would be shocked if the airlines really want to lobby a death sentence to themselves. Again, I thought the plea was to remove UK ban with a condition to test. Not a UNIVERSAL test.

Also, the airlines got nothing yet. "The CDC did not mention easing entry restrictions in tandem with the new testing requirement". It's more like a signal from new administration?

Last edited by freedom2020; Jan 12, 2021 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Why doesn't the CDC require a negative test for domestic travel? It would certainly keep us all safer. Too many powerful airline lobbyists would fight it?
I'm sure there are many in the upcoming administration that are just itching to implement something like this, along with a full lockdown.

Please explain how that would keep anyone safer? Just look at most of the EU that had full lockdowns before and they're in the same situation as other countries that did not shut down everything... and are delusional expecting that more lockdowns will change anything.
Pirrito and jmrp like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by destone
Perhaps this is because of the Europe travel ban when you consider the extent of international business between the US and Europe. If testing replaces a blanket ban, I am all for it.
When the airlines cancel flights because there are only a dozen pax on board, it will effectively become a blanket travel ban.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.