Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by runningshoes
Here's the most recent update I could find regarding the expected travel ban. In theory, as noted above by Global Adventurer, you can still get around the ban via a 2-week stay in Mexico + a negative virus test.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/01/25/960229515/biden-to-implement-travel-restrictions-to-combat-new-coronavirus-variants
Biden will reimpose a ban on many non-U.S. citizens attempting to enter the country. The move is an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 and contain new variants of the disease that have cropped up in several countries around the globe, according to media reports Sunday.

The ban, expected to start Monday, would prohibit travelers from the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe that allow travel across open borders, called the Schengen Area, according to Reuters. It will also block entry to travelers from Brazil and South Africa, where researchers discovered new variants of the virus.
I hate to be pedantic but the bolded sentences definitely make it sound like ALL travelers (US citizens included) are prohibited from entering the US if they're traveling from the listed places.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
LOT's website specifically says this: "If you are traveling to Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, Turkey, Denmark, USA or Belarus, see the regulations regarding the obligation to present a negative RT-PCR test for COVID-19 before departure."
Thanks. You make a great point - better to be safe. I inquired furhter and LOT said that if the "antigen test is translated into English then it will also be accepted." I have not found a provider in Poland who will do a test with results in English for antigen, but plenty of PCR, so maybe that is why that's written in this way.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Originally Posted by eneq
I hate to be pedantic but the bolded sentences definitely make it sound like ALL travelers (US citizens included) are prohibited from entering the US if they're traveling from the listed places.
The first sentence clearly states that it applies only to non-US citizens (Biden will reimpose a ban on many non-U.S. citizens attempting to enter the country). Having said that, at the rate this is changing, who knows what will happen in a couple of days?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
So if I have to take a PCR test for travel to the US that can take 48 hours to get the result back, pretty tight for a 72 hour test validity window, if on the other hand I can take a Rapid Antigen test that only takes one hour to process which makes things a lot easier.

So is a Rapid Antigen test accepted for US bound travel ??
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Fonsini
So if I have to take a PCR test for travel to the US that can take 48 hours to get the result back, pretty tight for a 72 hour test validity window, if on the other hand I can take a Rapid Antigen test that only takes one hour to process which makes things a lot easier.

So is a Rapid Antigen test accepted for US bound travel ??
According to the CDC order, yes. However, airlines may have their own rules. Its best to check with your airline for what they require.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Just an FYI about how bad covid19 is spreading in Mexico, now Carlos Slim, the wealthiest person in Mexico and the Mexican president both have covid and they are not young. One day, they will find out all the covid variants are circulating in Mexico. So, good to be tested before flying back to the US.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Just want to confirm, as a US citizen traveling abroad, I am required to have a negative covid test AND to quarantine for 7 days upon return with another covid test 3-5 days after returning?

Is that correct, or am I misinterpreting the directive? Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Just want to confirm, as a US citizen traveling abroad, I am required to have a negative covid test AND to quarantine for 7 days upon return with another covid test 3-5 days after returning?

Is that correct, or am I misinterpreting the directive? Thanks!
Somebody else will chime in I'm sure, but there's no quarantine or secondary test required or mandated. It's voluntary. Depending on what city you arrive in.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Somebody else will chime in I'm sure, but there's no quarantine or secondary test required or mandated. It's voluntary. Depending on what city you arrive in.
Thank you, that's great news.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thank you, that's great news.
Here's individual state by state restrictions:

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions/united-states

Just an FYI about how bad covid19 is spreading in Mexico, now Carlos Slim, the wealthiest person in Mexico and the Mexican president both have covid and they are not young. One day, they will find out all the covid variants are circulating in Mexico. So, good to be tested before flying back to the US.
Just an update: The Brazilian covid19 virus has been detected in Minnesota now, so I'm sure it's spreading while the land borders in the US are still open requiring no testing.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 31, 2021 at 5:41 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by axck
I agree with all of these thoughts. Not an epidemiologist but surely a 90% (or whatever it is) accurate rapid antigen test administered the day of, if not at the airport itself, would be a better control than a PCR test taken 72 hours before? That's 72 hours of potential exposure during which who knows what will happen.

In our experience (weekly testing of asymptomatic patients and testing of all patients who develop any covid symptom) - If a patient is positive but doesn't know it, and a PCR test and rapid antigen test are done on Day 1, the rapid antigen will be negative on Day 1, and the PCR test will be positive but results return on day 3. On day 3 the rapid will almost always be positive also. So results are similar during a certain time frame (exposure between 5-8 days prior) Symptoms usually determine whether a rapid will be positive - for infections with low viral loads and minimal symptoms (either early in infection period or mild infection), those will be negative on a rapid.

tl:dr early PCR tests and day of travel rapid tests have about the same yield if a person is positive at the time of the PCR test.
artemis and Tiramisu like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just an update: The Brazilian covid19 virus has been detected in Minnesota now, so I'm sure it's spreading while the land borders in the US are still open requiring no testing.
I would guess that the Brazilian-connected virus detected in Minnesota is most likely connected to Americans flying back to the US after visiting the Mexican beach resorts popular with Americans, Brazilians, Brits and so many others. Testing those air travelers headed to Minnesota may have helped stop what may have been an imported case there, but there is also a chance that it wouldn't have. Thus the CDC recommendation to quarantine after air travel.

That said, my guess was wrong. The detected case was for a traveler to the US from Brazil.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 25, 2021 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I would guess that the Brazilian-connected virus detected in Minnesota is most likely connected to Americans flying back to the US after visiting the Mexican beach resorts popular with Americans, Brazilians, Brits and so many others. Testing those air travelers headed to Minnesota may have helped stop what may have been an imported case there, but there is also a chance that it wouldn't have. Thus the CDC recommendation to quarantine after air travel.
It looks like the case in MN came from a Twin Cities resident who had been to Brazil. They were advised to self-isolate after testing positive, but not clear if they had been doing so previously

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/...0-7a43d9865c04

MDH reports that the patient is a resident of the Twin Cities metro. They became sick in early January, and the specimen was collected on Jan. 9. After testing positive, the patient told MDH case investigators that they had traveled to Brazil before getting sick. They were asked to self-isolate and have other members of their household quarantine.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:29 pm

I would guess that the Brazilian-connected virus detected in Minnesota is most likely connected to Americans flying back to the US after visiting the Mexican beach resorts popular with Americans, Brazilians, Brits and so many others. Testing those air travelers headed to Minnesota may have helped stop what may have been an imported case there, but there is also a chance that it wouldn't have. Thus the CDC recommendation to quarantine after air travel. That said, my guess would be wrong as the detected case was for a traveler to the US from Brazil.
The United States, so far according to some scientists, have only tested less than 1% of people infected with coronavirus, to find and sequence the UK, South Africa and the Brazilian variants. Less than 1%. LOL So, there's a lot of variants they haven't found because they haven't been looking for them like the Britains were when they found the one in Kent. As far as quarantine, I doubt if 5% of the US population actually quarantine when they arrive back from vacation. They may distance themselves from family members for awhile, but they definitely ain't quarantining for 10-14 days.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quarantining for 10-14 days in the US is almost certainly not happening anywhere close to as much as it should.

Testing is one way that may reduce some such non-essential travel and also pick up a little bit of the slack from a lack of quarantining.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.