Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know the order has not yet taken effect, but very interested if these at-home tests (antigen) will suffice.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack

If so, this would alleviate a ton of frustration because travelers can just take them along and not have to worry about finding a local clinic and/or not receive their results in time for their flights.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by UNITED959
...https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack...If so, this would alleviate a ton of frustration because travelers can just take them along and not have to worry about finding a local clinic and/or not receive their results in time for their flights.
SFO's been deploying a 15 minute rapid test, but not sure if it's this one; the procedure appears similar and costs about $250.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I know the order has not yet taken effect, but very interested if these at-home tests (antigen) will suffice.

If so, this would alleviate a ton of frustration because travelers can just take them along and not have to worry about finding a local clinic and/or not receive their results in time for their flights.
Some of them could suffice at times. But do you really want to have money tied up in trip bookings where the travel is contingent upon those "at-home test providers" getting the tests processed and the results back on time for your use to meet some kind of 72-hour trip deadline? And that's assuming the person is negative for the Covid-19-casuing virus.

Personally, I would expect in-person testing to be somewhat more reliable (and faster) for getting test results on time than results requiring the use of the mail or even UPS/FedEX/DHL.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Intentionally deceptive use of presented Covid-19 test results or otherwise faking test results to fly to the US?
I think question was for the case if a test would be required for any flight, regardless domestic or international.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of them could suffice at times. But do you really want to have money tied up in trip bookings where the travel is contingent upon those "at-home test providers" getting the tests processed and the results back on time for your use to meet some kind of 72-hour trip deadline?
This test is all at-home. No sending to a lab.

You have a Zoom call with a testing expert and the results appear in 15 minutes or so.

Kind of like an at-home pregnancy test.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:17 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold

Anyone actually able to purchase these? I'm getting stuck at the verification code screen. They send a code to my email, but it says it's invalid. I sent an email and will post here if I hear anything.

Last edited by cmx; Jan 20, 2021 at 10:30 am
Old Jan 20, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmx
Anyone actually able to purchase these? I'm getting stuck at the verification code screen. They send a code to my email, but it says it's invalid. I sent an email and will post here if I hear anything.
I just had a case of 6 arrive today. Bought them on Sunday.
GUWonder and cmx like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:08 am

Other than US, any other countries accept antigen test after all? I can't believe it will be helpful. Soon most people will be vaccinated anyway.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Antigen tests are mostly not accepted due to the lower reliability of results (both false positive and false negative). They're useful for fast tests in certain situations like entertainment/sporting venues and schools etc to be able to screen large amounts of people quickly.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Antigen tests are mostly not accepted due to the lower reliability of results (both false positive and false negative). They're useful for fast tests in certain situations like entertainment/sporting venues and schools etc to be able to screen large amounts of people quickly.
Exactly. So why CDC accept antigen tests? And vaccinated passengers can't take that, is that discouraging vaccination?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by freedom2020
Exactly. So why CDC accept antigen tests? And vaccinated passengers can't take that, is that discouraging vaccination?
I can think of a couple reasons:
  • Any form of testing discourages "non-essential" travel
  • Any form of testing is better than no testing (coupled with strong PPE measures)
More info on the CDC website.
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Other than US, any other countries accept antigen test after all? I can't believe it will be helpful. Soon most people will be vaccinated anyway.
St Maarten does within 48 hours vs the 5 days for PCR.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:35 pm

And vaccinated passengers can't take that, is that discouraging vaccination?
What makes you think that?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Other than US, any other countries accept antigen test after all?
Denmark accepts antigen tests of sort. But they require the antigen test to be one taken within 24 hours, except for the exception categories to that 24-hour test requirement.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I read that "Receiving the COVID-19 vaccine will not affect the PCR or antigen test results since these tests check for active disease, not immunity. There is no virus present in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine."

Denmark accepts antigen tests of sort. But they require the antigen test to be one taken within 24 hours,
Before the first flight on the one-way trip.

except for the exception categories to that 24-hour test requirement.
?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.