Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Noted. In any case these restrictions will likely cause a lot of people to cancel or delay Caribbean/Mexico/LATAM leisure vacations...for better or worse
It may. On the other hand, if we didn't have people who were willing to fly even knowing they had symptoms/were positive, maybe this wouldn't be such a big deal.
I get there will be a cost factor so that is a legitimate concern for many. As far as having to test to return on principle, I have little sympathy. It is a moment in time but it might keep someone known positive from traveling. That is a good thing.
Loren Pechtel and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: American Airlines
Aruba after January 26th

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If this is true, including American citizens and residents, then International Travel is dead.
Nobody in their right mind is going to risk being stranded abroad. Not to mention the difficulty getting a test before returning home. Thousands of Americans visit Mexico every week. How are all these people gonna get a test before boarding their flight home? In Puerto Vallarta or Cancun somewhere? Yeah right
Or take Europe for instance. Millions of Americans visited Europe in 2019 during summer. Are all these people going to get tested "somewhere" in Europe 72 hours before boarding a plane? Yeah right.
Testing capacity is simply not there, not to mention the chance you might get stranded because of a (false) positive test. Could not even be your fault. Maybe someone was passing you on the street and sneezed, or bumped into you, or whatever happened.
Same goes for Europeans wanting to visit the US. They might get tested in their home town, somewhere in Europe, but how are they gonna get a test before heading home? At ATL, JFK? Sure, for a few dozens pax that might work, but not for thousands or millions of pax. Not to mention that IF you test positive as a European in the US you might fall faul of "overstaying your visa". Then you go to jail.

So, once again: International Travel (as we have know it) will be DEAD if these rules are really implemented.
I expect that most if not all Europeans will probably prefer to vacation in Europe this year. Simply because of less risk. Same goes for Americans. Better stay in the US then travel abroad.
So, we're scheduled to travel to Aruba on January 24th through the 30th. The new restrictions potentially start on January 26th. I confirmed with American Airlines that all US passengers returning to Pennsylvania will be required to prove the negative results of the PCR test prior to boarding. I asked.... how??? Their response was to check with the hotel. I tried without any luck! I'd hate to cancel but wonder what's a recommendation???
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by aj411
It is a moment in time but it might keep someone known positive from traveling. That is a good thing.
Goes without saying that anyone who tests positive or knowingly positive shouldn't travel irrespective of whatever bans/restricitons may or may not be in place.
Loren Pechtel, aj411 and destone like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Brady11
So, we're scheduled to travel to Aruba on January 24th through the 30th. The new restrictions potentially start on January 26th. I confirmed with American Airlines that all US passengers returning to Pennsylvania will be required to prove the negative results of the PCR test prior to boarding. I asked.... how??? Their response was to check with the hotel. I tried without any luck! I'd hate to cancel but wonder what's a recommendation???
I am guessing this rule is way too new for most hotels to have given it much thought yet. These Caribbean islands are likely scrambling trying to figure out what to do and how to test everyone if they even can
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by eng3
How is this different than the UK order?
Or the Canada order.
Yes, we are guaranteed entry into the country - but noone is guaranteed to do so by plane.
You rock up to the land border - they have to let you in (subject to health laws once in) - but you do not have the right to board a plane.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:06 am

Unlike in the US, it is quite easy and inexpensive to get tested prior to the boarding at most airports in Europe. It is a much bigger pain to get tested in the US to travel to or via Europe.
Of course, this new testing requirement will be just another inconvenience and an expense to travel. Maybe it is a bit late to implement, but it looks like the new administration will kill the economy, which largely relies on inbound tourism.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Halo117
This rule should nuke all travel even business travelers and essential workers....the rule requires post travel test and 7 day quarantine. ....

https://youtu.be/GySmoZtjbSM
Based on the CDC’s website, the post travel test and quarantine are recommended not required.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by DEN
Doesn’t it seem odd that the new rules make no mention of passengers who have had one or both doses of a COVID vaccine?
It specifically says that vaccines do not qualify for an exemption.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I dont see how this will work in the Caribbean. Lets take Saint Martin for example and the two nearby islands of St. Barts and Anguila who use SXM as gateway:

1. Most people travel Saturday to Saturday. So does that mean on Wednesdays thousands of people will line up for hours in facilities at Saint Martin, Anguilla, and St Barts to take a test?? I think they would be overhwlemed for sure.

2. What happens if its not a rapid test and the labs are overwhelmed and thousands can't even get a result in time for their flight?

3. If it would be an airport test at SXM, after baggage check in, whats happens to all the postive tests where then they have to go fetch the checked lugagge? Total Nightmare.

4. If you test positive then what?...are you able to book a hotel/resort indiefintely until you are cleared or be denied by the hotel because you are positive??

5. Also..what about Cruise ships in theory...if they offload people for 6 hours at Saint Martin, then does the cruise ship adminster tests somehow before the ship makes it to Miami?

Seems like a ton of technicalities that the CDC didnt hash out and think through how this would affect certain areas.
The "ton of technicalities" the CDC is hashing out pertain to reducing the spread of a deadly virus in America not the concerns of pampered, non-essential leisure travelers in pursuit of a winter tan.

In 1944 America asked it's citizens to storm foreign beaches. In 2021 it's asking that you just don't lie on them.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by ACR2013
Unlike in the US, it is quite easy and inexpensive to get tested prior to the boarding at most airports in Europe. It is a much bigger pain to get tested in the US to travel to or via Europe.
Check this out. I’ll be going SFO-AMS-CPH. AMS, it appears and for transit as well, requires a PCR within 72 hours, CPH now a, likely rapid, test within 24 hours. Hopefully it’ll be easier by then.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
For a trip to Mexico of less than 72 hours, is anyone seeing an issue with getting the test performed in the US before outward departure from the US? (And agree with others that, with antigen widely and cheaply available in Mexico, this shouldn't be a big issue for "determined" business travel. But it will take "x" hours out of a short trip to get it done.)
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
The "ton of technicalities" the CDC is hashing out pertain to reducing the spread of a deadly virus in America not the concerns of pampered, non-essential leisure travelers in pursuit of a winter tan.

In 1944 America asked it's citizens to storm foreign beaches. In 2021 it's asking that you just don't lie on them.
I am not saying the CDC rule is right or wrong...just pointing out the many issues/questions that people will have if they choose to travel that the CDC should clarify a bit more.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ACR2013
Of course, this new testing requirement will be just another inconvenience and an expense to travel. Maybe it is a bit late to implement, but it looks like the new administration will kill the economy, which largely relies on inbound tourism.
It's difficult to generalize about a country as vast as the US. I can speak of my local experience at LAX where you can get a guaranteed same-day (4-6 hours) PCR (!) test. I haven't even seen this in the UK, where the SLA tends to be 24-48 hours.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I am not saying the CDC rule is right or wrong...just pointing out the many issues/questions that people will have if they choose to travel that the CDC should clarify a bit more.
What more clarity do people need beyond you will not be allowed to board an aircraft bound to the U.S.A. unless you have a negative COVID test taken within the previous 72 hours? Everything else is on you and your problem to solve.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
There is zero likelihood that the health of foreign tourism industries is of any concern to the CDC. I don't understand why this argument keeps getting brought up.

Moreover, if this results in increased business in the domestic US tourism industry, that's probably just another benefit in the US government's eyes.

The tourism industry worldwide is crashing and it's not the US CDC's responsibility to keep it propped up.
Loren Pechtel, Badenoch and Turaj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.