Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER THE UNITED STATES STARTING NOVEMBER 8, 2021
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

IN EFFECT JANUARY 26, 2021 TO DECEMBER 31, 2021 UNLESS OTHERWISE AMENDED
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/g...ncrypted-p.pdf

FAQ
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html

PASSENGER ATTESTATION FOR TRAVEL TO THE USA
https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/a...21-01-12-p.pdf

OTHERS
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...L7PwJTTCggyB7k

ISSUED 21 JAN 2021: National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness "EXECUTIVE ORDER PROMOTING COVID-19 SAFETY IN DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL" begins on page 174 of this document.

Print Wikipost

Covid test for entry/re-entry to US [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by exp
Arrived on ZHR-SFO flight yesterday afternoon, just before 4 PM. We were told before landing that the SF Public Health dept would be doing random checks so have your passport and negative test results handy.

They were at the end of the jetway, causing a big queue all the way in the jetway, causing people to queue up.
how random was it? check 1 person for every 10 people that pass?

well, it could have been managed better. just have passengers disembark plane by rows: row 1-3 , row 4-6, etc.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by jphripjah
An American citizen could just tell them to take a hike, right?
From what I recall of these guys and their armor and weapons, I think that would end badly.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by gnomey

well, it could have been managed better. just have passengers disembark plane by rows: row 1-3 , row 4-6, etc.
In my experience it was just like that 1 in every 5 or so. It was almost a 'if you knew what you were doing and didn't make eye contact you could just slip right through' situation. We didn't have to show anything, but people in front of us did.

As far as disembarking, even in this pandemic it seems no one gives a flying F about distancing. I still make it a point to keep 10ft away from someone in front of me in the jetbridge and at times I still feel someone breathing on my back. (get the F away from me!!!)
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by SamirD
From what I recall of these guys and their armor and weapons, I think that would end badly.
Is the the Police Department or the Public Health Department?
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Is the the Police Department or the Public Health Department?
This is back from July, but I remember one of the individuals was in police gear with body armor--they were probably border security versus police, but short of a helmet and a shield, it was practically riot gear that he had on.

Last edited by SamirD; Sep 16, 2021 at 1:26 pm Reason: i before e except after c!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:36 pm

Yes they could be fully armed, but as a US citizen on US soil they can't deny you entry no matter what. You can very politely tell them to take a hike and politely remind them that you don't need to show any tests to be allowed entry into the US as long as you've sufficiently proven you're a citizen. Of course they can make things annoying for you by doing bag searches and even legally confiscating your devices/bags, but they can't deny you entry to the US.
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes they could be fully armed, but as a US citizen on US soil they can't deny you entry no matter what. You can very politely tell them to take a hike and politely remind them that you don't need to show any tests to be allowed entry into the US as long as you've sufficiently proven you're a citizen. Of course they can make things annoying for you by doing bag searches and even legally confiscating your devices/bags, but they can't deny you entry to the US.
True, but they could then take you to jail on suspicion of falsifying the attestation. I think at that point most people would show them the COVID test results they had to show to the airline prior to boarding.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I wouldn't want to play 'THEMS MA RITES!' with them as it was obvious that they had the power to do whatever the hell they wanted.

The problems with the US now is that between the delay of due process and corruption creeping into every level, you have to watch yourself similar to other nations where this type of problem is prevalent. I'm not saying that it's even nearly as bad, but I see more of the same techniques being used to manipulate, compromise, and undermine the system's ability to delivery safety, security, and justice for the citizens. ymmv.

That being said, I believe they were looking at passports as well as test results.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:00 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by gnomey

I don't know how they were pulling people but by the time I got to the choke point, one of them waved me through while two others were showing their documents.

And I'm not sure I may have mixed it up, don't know which agency was involved, but I thought I heard public health.

I was in row 16 so most of the front cabin had deplaned by the time I got out the door.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I don't know how they were pulling people but by the time I got to the choke point, one of them waved me through while two others were showing their documents.

And I'm not sure I may have mixed it up, don't know which agency was involved, but I thought I heard public health.

I was in row 16 so most of the front cabin had deplaned by the time I got out the door.
Yeah it is CA DPH

many have reported before.

i dont know if they target flights coming in from certain countries or pure random, but so far the ones i heard that encounter spot check from CA DPH are flights originating from PPT or EU countries
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How do you think it would end if an American citizen told San Francisco health officials "Take a hike, I'm American, there's nothing you can do to me for not showing you a COVID test result"?

Do you think they'd shoot him? Arrest him? Put him on a plan back to where he came from? Forcibly quarantine him?

No, they would do nothing.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
How do you think it would end if an American citizen told San Francisco health officials "Take a hike, I'm American, there's nothing you can do to me for not showing you a COVID test result"?

Do you think they'd shoot him? Arrest him? Put him on a plan back to where he came from? Forcibly quarantine him?

No, they would do nothing.
Try it and let us know how it turns out. In general it is probably safe to say that treating anyone with authority over you with distain will not get you a peaceful resolution--no matter what the country and no matter what 'MA RITES' are.

As previously posted above, this would be a likely scenario imo depending on how much of an ahole you wanted to be:
Originally Posted by Catbert10
True, but they could then take you to jail on suspicion of falsifying the attestation.
downinit and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Catbert10
True, but they could then take you to jail on suspicion of falsifying the attestation. I think at that point most people would show them the COVID test results they had to show to the airline prior to boarding.
The notion that they would jail Americans who present no attestation for "falsifying" the attestation is absolutely absurd. That's like saying "If you're American and arrive at the Southern border without your U.S. passport, they will jail you for falsifying documents."

I wouldn't want to play 'THEMS MA RITES!' with them as it was obvious that they had the power to do whatever the hell they wanted.
Well, there's a misconception Americans have that CBP can do whatever they want, toss Americans into immigration detention forever, deny entry to Americans, strip search and anally probe travelers on a whim, etc. And CBP likes it that way. They bark at Americans jump, because Americans are conditioned to act like sheep around authority figures.

Meanwhile, if a French immigration officer every tried to pull a Frenchman aside at the border and ask "What do you do for a living? What were you doing outside France" the Frenchman would tell him in no uncertain terms to take a hike, or whatever the phrase is in French.

"Just do what police say even if you don't have to because otherwise they will yell at you and hassle you" is how you end up with a police state.
Rare and MaxVO like this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by CyBeR
The US specifically uses calendar days rather than hours so you should be good.

But they also accept rapid antigen tests so for peace of mind I'd probably get one of those too.
And there have also been instances of ticketing/gate agents who go by 72 hours versus 3 days even though it is supposed to be 3 days, so you should also prepare for that contingency.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by RG1X
In relation to COVID / testing proof etc, anyone know how long immigration / customs etc is taking in the US at the moment on average? I need to arrange a flight with a change and I want to make sure I leave enough time for messing around (non US citizen coming from a non banned country).
This will depend on the airport and I would ask in the appropriate airport thread if one exists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.