Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you used BinaxNow Home Test to successfully transit in Germany?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by exp
The question is what the German authorities will do, will they accept looking at your app or maybe a printout from the app or a PDF of a printout shown on your phone screen?

Does BinaxNow generate a QR code?

The issue is, even if they don't accept a home test, why would some random testing lab in the US be more reliable to them?

France is requiring proof of vaccination AND test results from Americans, including Antigen test results.
Will France accept the BinaxNW / eMed test results?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by exp
The question is what the German authorities will do, will they accept looking at your app or maybe a printout from the app or a PDF of a printout shown on your phone screen?

Does BinaxNow generate a QR code?

The issue is, even if they don't accept a home test, why would some random testing lab in the US be more reliable to them?

France is requiring proof of vaccination AND test results from Americans, including Antigen test results.
The app produces a QR code, but I’m planning on printing out the results so it looks more similar to a regular lab produced report and we don’t have to worry about wifi connectivity.

I made my decision: I’m going to present the Abbott BinaxNow certificate for my kids to test this out for outbound. I have also scheduled a free rapid test at CVS pharmacy the day before our flight, so I can pull that up should either United or Germany have an issue with the BinaxNow home test certificate. I know us adults are good to go with just vaccination cards, and we will have the BinaxNow home test certificates just for our peace of mind.

As for return to the U.S., I have printed out United ads that say to use the BinaxNow kit for the return.... I’m less worried about that part.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 12:49 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
The app produces a QR code, but I’m planning on printing out the results so it looks more similar to a regular lab produced report and we don’t have to worry about wifi connectivity.

I made my decision: I’m going to present the Abbott BinaxNow certificate for my kids to test this out for outbound. I have also scheduled a free rapid test at CVS pharmacy the day before our flight, so I can pull that up should either United or Germany have an issue with the BinaxNow home test certificate. I know us adults are good to go with just vaccination cards, and we will have the BinaxNow home test certificates just for our peace of mind.

As for return to the U.S., I have printed out United ads that say to use the BinaxNow kit for the return.... I’m less worried about that part.
Are you flying soon?

Would be good to get some actual reports on the ground when you try to transit to or enter an EU country.

I could print it out but rather save a PDF and show that so I don't have to carry a paper.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exp
Are you flying soon?

Would be good to get some actual reports on the ground when you try to transit to or enter an EU country.
Yes, I can report back in less than 2 weeks.
Xyzzy, QT31415, PlowJockey and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Update: Not sure if this is recently updated verbiage re: accepted tests in Germany, but this is what it says at https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/...ublicationFile:

“In addition, antigen tests for the direct detection of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus are recognised from all countries. It is required that they fulfil the minimum criteria recommended by WHO for the quality of SARS-CoV-2 antigen detecting rapid diagnostic tests.“

So from ALL countries...

Also it continues: “... testing must have been conducted or supervised in the Federal Republic of Germany or abroad by a service provider pursuant to section 6 (1) of the Coronavirus Testing Ordinance (Coronavirus-Testverordnung) or, in the context of company-based testing for the purpose of occupational health and safety, by staff who have the required training, knowledge and experience or must have been conducted or supervised abroad by an entity authorised to do so under the law of the country concerned.The third party must also verify and confirm the identity of the person tested by means of an official photo ID.”

BinaxNow checks the boxes for the requirements above.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 1:36 am

Here‘s the list of tests accepted in the EU: https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/de...on-list_en.pdf
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curt
Here‘s the list of tests accepted in the EU: https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/de...on-list_en.pdf
Isn’t the Abbott Panbio on this list essentially a sister product to Abbott BinaxNow? One is a card and one is a cassette.

Furthermore, German travel test requirements specifically say that “antigen tests for the direct detection of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus are recognised from ALL countries.”

So I interpret that to mean a U.S. rapid test is perfectly fine for transit through a German airport. Am I missing something? I guess ultimately it still depends on the agent inspecting the test certificate... What worries me is that some have reported Lufthansa giving them a hard time at least when inquiring over the phone, but that may be because the agent does not really understand the telehealth component of BinaxNow. 🤔
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:59 pm

Isn’t the Abbott Panbio on this list essentially a sister product to Abbott BinaxNow? One is a card and one is a cassette.

Furthermore, German travel test requirements specifically say that “antigen tests for the direct detection of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus are recognised from ALL countries.”

So I interpret that to mean a U.S. rapid test is perfectly fine for transit through a German airport. Am I missing something? I guess ultimately it still depends on the agent inspecting the test certificate... What worries me is that some have reported Lufthansa giving them a hard time at least when inquiring over the phone, but that may be because the agent does not really understand the telehealth component of BinaxNow. 🤔
The tests marked as yellow in the doc are recognized by all EU countries. If a US test is not on the list, you might face problems.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 4:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The key to the BinaxNow tests (which meet the standards) is that the swab was taken under supervision and that the testing lab certifies the negative result is from the swab taken under supervsion. Your test report has to show that. Doing the test onto yourself will not work because the swab may not have been taken correctly and the report generated is not certified be from a swab taken from you. The various video supervision outfits are super borderline.

Just go to the closest CVS or Walgreen and get the antigen test done.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:21 am
Original Poster

BinaxNow is supervised and good enough for the CDC. Attached is how the lab report looks like. I’ll try this with Lufthansa in a couple of days, but will have a backup from CVS.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Success in Frankfurt!

Yes, I can report back in less than 2 weeks.
I flew with family IAD to Frankfurt, with onward connection from there to a country that also accepts antigen tests. United happily accepted the tests at IAD, and German official reviewed and accepted them at Frankfurt passport control. When I asked “shouldn’t vaccination cards be enough” both the United agent and Frankfurt border control official just ignored my question and repeated their request for negative test results, also for children.

We had CVS test as a backup for our youngest, but it was never needed. Super happy with Abbott BinaxNow!

I do wonder if we run into any issues on our return when the first leg is on Lufthansa and 2nd on United? I’ve seen lots of people board LH successfully with this test, but some have reported trouble. I’m sure if you call Lufthansa to ask that they will just say a plain no, as they don’t understand how this test works under supervision (and that a formal lab report is produced). I’ll take my chances.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 11:35 pm
exp
Suspended

How long did the emed/binax Now kit take to ship?

did they have some pricey express shipping option?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exp
How long did the emed/binax Now kit take to ship?

did they have some pricey express shipping option?
There is only 1 shipping option: overnight FedEx. I think it was $14.95. The test kits should not be in temps higher than about 86 F, so they don’t want them compromised in long transit.

I personally did not mind the cost at all, given the convenience and lack of stress testing kids terrified of going to a clinic for a swab. There was also no stress about whether or not the results would be in on time. We did save some money by paying for the kits with an HSA card, so at least it was pretax dollars.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:42 am
exp
Suspended

Thanks, good feedback.

I'm leaving in a week to France and hoping to schedule a test this upcoming weekend.

Also been researching testing options in France, which is providing free testing to everyone this summer.

However, this home kit might be worth it as a backup.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FYI - we used the test to fly back to the US from PPT. It worked fine. The NAVICA app now reprts the time since being tested i hours vs. the days reported above...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.