Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

International Travel - Out of SFO - Procedure [US citizen traveling to Singapore]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Travel - Out of SFO - Procedure [US citizen traveling to Singapore]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Hello, Flyers,

Is anyone recently flying internationally out of SFO? Care to share your experience, traveling from SFO, internationally, during this pandemic?
I am interested to know what is the process.

Is there a thread somewhere here I could look at?

Thanks in advance to those who share their experiences!
Old May 30, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
I don't think SFO will have anything different from any other international airport in the US in terms of travel. Just need to mask up, have a PCR test for the airline and country you'll be visiting, and/or proof of vaccination depending on the country you're going to, and your country of transit. That's all. Otherwise, you just need to be wearing a mask basically the whole time you're there. TSA and other procedures aren't different.
LoungeLizardHugo and fivenue like this.

Last edited by Nayef; May 30, 2021 at 4:28 pm
Old May 30, 2021, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nayef
I don't think SFO will have anything different from any other international airport in the US in terms of travel. Just need to mask up, have a PCR test for the airline and country you'll be visiting, and/or proof of vaccination depending on the country you're going to, and your country of transit. That's all. Otherwise, you just need to be wearing a mask basically the whole time you're there. TSA and other procedures aren't different.
I appreciate the response Nayef.
I haven't been traveling internationally for a while, especially after the COVID pandemic, so I really don't know what is the steps.

I mean, should I arrive like 4-5 hours before to get the PCR test?
what other test(s) we need to have?
what document(s) to bring (other than passport and perhaps COVID vaccination proof).

Pretty sure those are the info, among others, other people would like to know as well.

Personally, we haven't decided whether to use SFO or LAX as a point of origin, but I thought I use SFO as the reference point.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fivenue
I mean, should I arrive like 4-5 hours before to get the PCR test?
what other test(s) we need to have?
what document(s) to bring (other than passport and perhaps COVID vaccination proof).
Point of origin will not change anything

Need to know where you are going and what airports you will be passing thru (and airlines used).
Best to get testing done before the airport but again without the full travel plans it is hard to provide advice on testing.
Presently, vax proof is insufficient except for a few destination.

You need to research your destination and transit airport requirements. They vary greatly.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:37 pm

The PCR test typically needs to be done 1-2 days before your flight, not at the airport (some airports have fast turnaround time, not sure if SFO is that). Honestly if you're not already aware about this very basic information you need to research a bit more, specifically related to your exact itinerary and airlines.
fivenue likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Most countries/airlines on average require the PCR test to be done at least within 72 hours of flying. So if you're flying Wednesday, your best bet is to do the test Monday (any later than that and you likely won't get a result soon enough for your flight and there's still a chance the result might not come out before you need to fly, unless you do a 24-hour test that costs a lot more).
LoungeLizardHugo and fivenue like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Most countries/airlines on average require the PCR test to be done at least within 72 hours of flying. So if you're flying Wednesday, your best bet is to do the test Monday (any later than that and you likely won't get a result soon enough for your flight and there's still a chance the result might not come out before you need to fly, unless you do a 24-hour test that costs a lot more).
If you live near SFO, there is a rapid PCR test site at the airport (it's a drive-through site on the airport property). $90 for guaranteed 24-hour results or $150 if you need it in under 12-hours. I used them recently and got the 24-hour results in exactly 12 hours. It's called Worksite Labs. They also have a location at Oakland airport and others in the Western US. Appointment required, but no waiting once you're there.
fivenue and blairvanhorn like this.
Old May 30, 2021, 8:58 pm
SST

We got PCR tests at Oakland airport with about 24 hr turnaround prior to departing from SFO to HNL. Paid $20 apiece to guarantee we had the results quickly, but major costs paid by Kaiser thru our plan. That was for Hawaii. For Mexico, no PCR required to depart. Off we went. PCR in Mexico prior to return on that subsequent trip, paid by cash. Follow the requirements for your destination, and for your return.
fivenue likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The PCR test typically needs to be done 1-2 days before your flight, not at the airport (some airports have fast turnaround time, not sure if SFO is that). Honestly if you're not already aware about this very basic information you need to research a bit more, specifically related to your exact itinerary and airlines.
SFO now has rapid PCR testing (with Xpresscheck Arrivals Level Terminal 3) though it's quite expensive, but results are available in 30-40 minutes.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Personally, we haven't decided whether to use SFO or LAX as a point of origin, but I thought I use SFO as the reference point.
If your trip requires testing, LAX still has PCR 5 hours result for $125, provided by Clarity Labs with on-site lab yards away from collection point. See LAX website for details.
fivenue likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There are a number of countries that require that the test be done X hours before the entry into the country, not your departure time.
fivenue likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

wow... THANK YOU VERY MUCH to ALL OF YOU FTers!!!

So, about the flight plan, we are planning to travel to Singapore, either from LAX or SFO, though I am closer to LAX, more people in the trip plan are living in the SF Bay Area.
As of now, the plan is to leave the US sometime end of August or early September.
This is not traveling for a holiday, but rather for a (distant) family matter.

I apologize for not being clear, as we are trying to figure it out ourselves.
Please do let me know what other information from me that you FTers need to help me out.

Again, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!
Old May 31, 2021, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
wow... THANK YOU VERY MUCH to ALL OF YOU FTers!!!

So, about the flight plan, we are planning to travel to Singapore, either from LAX or SFO, though I am closer to LAX, more people in the trip plan are living in the SF Bay Area.
As of now, the plan is to leave the US sometime end of August or early September.

I apologize for not being clear, as we are trying to figure it out ourselves.
Please do let me know what other information from me that you FTers need to help me out.

Again, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!!
are you sure you qualify for entry? Only citizens can get in as of now. I honestly don't see that changing by August.

Those that can enter have 21 day quarantine.... And it's strict don't leave your hotel room thing
Old May 31, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
So, about the flight plan, we are planning to travel to Singapore,
sometime end of August or early September.
Hello from Singapore.

At this moment only Singapore citizens and PR are allowed to enter.

Citizens/PRs need to present negative PCR test result and after arrival serve 21 days of quarantine in the designated facility (you can’t choose it) and pay SGD $3000, plus pay for 4 PCR tests. If there will be covid detected during the test, the person will be moved to the infectious disease hospital and discharged after it is determined that he/she is not infectious any more.

All above is regardless vaccination status/type of vaccine or if one had Covid before, there are no exceptions.

There is no entry for all other categories to enter Singapore regardless of visa status (like work/student visas) or family members - all entities are not allowed until July 6th.

Even before current rules short term visitors were not allowed to enter - they had to be family members of people who are residing in Singapore.

You need to get up to speed on there and other requirements and decide - are you eligible/allowed to and or even if you are - do you want to do it.

Search for Facebook group - Travel to Singapore Quarantine Information, ask to become member (it is private but not secret group) and read posts for last month or so. If you still have questions after that, ask there.

Good luck.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryman554
are you sure you qualify for entry? Only citizens can get in as of now. I honestly don't see that changing by August.

Those that can enter have 21 day quarantine.... And it's strict don't leave your hotel room thing
Originally Posted by invisible
Hello from Singapore.

At this moment only Singapore citizens and PR are allowed to enter.

Citizens/PRs need to present negative PCR test result and after arrival serve 21 days of quarantine in the designated facility (you can’t choose it) and pay SGD $3000, plus pay for 4 PCR tests. If there will be covid detected during the test, the person will be moved to the infectious disease hospital and discharged after it is determined that he/she is not infectious any more.

All above is regardless vaccination status/type of vaccine or if one had Covid before, there are no exceptions.

There is no entry for all other categories to enter Singapore regardless of visa status (like work/student visas) or family members - all entities are not allowed until July 6th.

Even before current rules short term visitors were not allowed to enter - they had to be family members of people who are residing in Singapore.

You need to get up to speed on there and other requirements and decide - are you eligible/allowed to and or even if you are - do you want to do it.

Search for Facebook group - Travel to Singapore Quarantine Information, ask to become member (it is private but not secret group) and read posts for last month or so. If you still have questions after that, ask there.

Good luck.
Thanks MUCH!!!

I am an American, although two people in the party are Singaporean citizens.

Perhaps it is better for me to just postpone the trip altogether, though others in the family may disagree.

Either way, MUCH APPRECIATED for all the information from all of you FTers!!!

Hope others can also use the information you guys provided!!!
blairvanhorn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.