Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Where would you actually "want to" travel this summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you actually "want to" travel this summer?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm in Henderson, Nevada right now at the Westin Lake Las Vegas. Staff members wear masks but hardly anyone else does. The pools are delightful and the weather is not too hot (yet).
LETTERBOY and the810 like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: Tunnocks Tea Cake Platinum
Anywhere. I believe in Covid but I don't care about it. I've had it, it wasn't that bad (I understand I'm lucky). I will happily go wherever I'm allowed. Been to Dubai & Cairo so far this year. Got 4 more trips planned to USA, UK, Dubai & UK (again) before year end.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:05 pm

The US! Ready to drive over as soon as the long overdue border reopening happens. Canada is great to live in but the past 14 months have reminded us why we've rarely done domestic roadtrips:

- Horrible infrastructure: we can't even build one highway across the country that is entirely controlled access and divided.
- Ever since covid, xenophobia: we'll probably be treated as virus carriers by half the country if we drive our car
- Long boring distances: we could drive through over 1,000 miles of very little to get to Winnipeg, or we could drive to Miami in that distance.
- Lots of other things such as lack of decent accommodation options, much higher gas prices, etc.

We're hoping that we'll be able to head down by the end of the summer after our second shots. Knowing Canada's travel restrictions however, we wouldn't be surprised if we have to cancel because the quarantine requirements will still be in place.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old May 25, 2021, 1:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exp
Sweden currently has the highest per 100k rate in Europe. They’re doing relatively well in vaccinations though.

have they said when they’d open up to tourists?
They already are open to tourists from within the EU/Schengen area and a handful of non-European countries. Earlier this year, Sweden had closed to tourists from Denmark and Norway earlier this year, but those Swedish bans on "non-essential" travel from Denmark and Norway have since been removed by Sweden.

I will be spending more time traveling in Norway this spring and summer (than was possible for me last year), but I will also continue to be in Denmark, Sweden and the US a lot for the remainder of this spring and summer. Sweden's Covid-19 daily case counts are far higher this month than they were for the first 3.5 quarters of 2020, so the infection scene is still ugly in Sweden and Sweden's Covid-19 deaths are rather stubbornly above what they were for a majority of the weeks in 2020. That has meant Sweden's domestic restrictions are dragging on longer than otherwise would be the case. Norway already has longer dining/drinking hours for seated service at F&B venues than Sweden and is otherwise more open in ways, but in a few weeks Sweden is likely to relax its restrictions and return closer to pre-pandemic normal even as less than 12% of Sweden's population have completed a vaccination regimen and under 35% of Sweden's population have received even a single Covid-19 vaccination jab to-date. I am assuming that as a vaccinated American admissible into the EU/Schengen area I will be unlikely to come up as a positive test case and all that it can mean for travel nowadays, but there is still that antigen/PCR testing stuff to be considered depending on the circumstances.
Old May 25, 2021, 7:03 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Schweden
The US! Ready to drive over as soon as the long overdue border reopening happens. Canada is great to live in but the past 14 months have reminded us why we've rarely done domestic roadtrips:

- Horrible infrastructure: we can't even build one highway across the country that is entirely controlled access and divided.
- Ever since covid, xenophobia: we'll probably be treated as virus carriers by half the country if we drive our car
- Long boring distances: we could drive through over 1,000 miles of very little to get to Winnipeg, or we could drive to Miami in that distance.
- Lots of other things such as lack of decent accommodation options, much higher gas prices, etc.

We're hoping that we'll be able to head down by the end of the summer after our second shots. Knowing Canada's travel restrictions however, we wouldn't be surprised if we have to cancel because the quarantine requirements will still be in place.
Were you describing the US or Canada?...
Old May 25, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Were you describing the US or Canada?...
I was describing Canada. It has become rather unwelcoming and toxic here. As if the vandalizing of out-of-province cars weren't enough, the latest trend seems to be suburbs restricting access for all others with arbitrary rules and fines. The situation in the rest of Canada is all a bit ridiculous so we'll just vacation in Alberta if the US isn't reopen to Canadians.
Old May 25, 2021, 4:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was describing Canada. It has become rather unwelcoming and toxic here. As if the vandalizing of out-of-province cars weren't enough, the latest trend seems to be suburbs restricting access for all others with arbitrary rules and fines. The situation in the rest of Canada is all a bit ridiculous so we'll just vacation in Alberta if the US isn't reopen to Canadians.
Pardon me, I neglected to include that "/s" for sarcasm, since it could describe both countries!
Old May 25, 2021, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I love Canada and I'm worried that the longer this goes on the more unwelcoming things get to others, particularly US citizens.

Back on topic, I can recommend all of Las Vegas if you want to go somewhere that's quite open and few masks are seen.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Gringa
After getting one dose here in Mexico of Sinovac (Chinese) I decided to go to San Diego to get Johnson &Johnson as I doubt the Sinovac would be recognized if the UK does open up.
The UK has no vaccination requirement for entry. Only a negative Covid test in the 3 days before departure and a PCR test on arrival (0-2 days) from a green list country.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Mexico and the US. Neither seem to care for restrictions anymore (not that Mexico and some states ever really did). I don't mind wearing a mask indoors in any context, so long as it isn't for an extended period of time. I'm sure by the time we return to Europe in August life will have largely resumed as normal here, too. The UK appears to be that way already (bar mass events and nightclubs etc..)
Old May 26, 2021, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The UK has no vaccination requirement for entry. Only a negative Covid test in the 3 days before departure and a PCR test on arrival (0-2 days) from a green list country.
As far as I understand it, neither Mexico or the US is cleared to travel to the UK without quarantine and since the EU only seems to recognize Pfizer. Moderna and J&J, to be safe I got the J&J figuring the UK would do the same. I won’t go to London if they’re still quarantining.
Old May 27, 2021, 1:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
As far as I understand it, neither Mexico or the US is cleared to travel to the UK without quarantine and since the EU only seems to recognize Pfizer. Moderna and J&J, to be safe I got the J&J figuring the UK would do the same. I won’t go to London if they’re still quarantining.
The EU recognizes Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, and AstraZeneca vaccinations.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 29, 2021 at 9:21 pm Reason: J&J not J&G
Old May 27, 2021, 1:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Check the wikipost of this thread for more info.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...val-tests.html

Mexico and the US are currently on the amber list which means a pre-departure negative test, 10-day quarantine (which may be reduced to 5 days) and two Covid tests on arrival. If the US moves to the green list you will only need a pre-departure test and one test on arrival but no quarantine.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Check the wikipost of this thread for more info.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...val-tests.html

Mexico and the US are currently on the amber list which means a pre-departure negative test, 10-day quarantine (which may be reduced to 5 days) and two Covid tests on arrival. If the US moves to the green list you will only need a pre-departure test and one test on arrival but no quarantine.
Exactly. Why would anyone go to London for a vacation only to quarantine for 10 days?
Old May 28, 2021, 8:01 am

Hong Kong and/or Paris.

For me, whatever it takes to visit, I'm game. They want proof of vaccination, fine. Want me to download an App, fine. What me to sign up for immunity or whatever passport, fine. Negative test, sure. All I ask is that 1) no quarantine, and 2) reasonable freedom of movement.

Unfortunately, I think HK is out of the question (currently, their entry process is a deal breaker, not to mention the quarantine). Paris, there's maybe some hope?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.