Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
In Europe, it is very normal to take 3 or 4 weeks off for summer vacations. I did it every single year since I started working.
yeah, that wouldn’t work here I’m the US.

I get three weeks vacation a year and have never used even close to that.

anyway back to regularly scheduled programming.
LETTERBOY and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by DL77
For family reasons I absolutely have to enter the US in early August. Assuming that the travel ban will not be lifted, what do you recommend as a destination to spend the 14 days? I would like to avoid Mexico and Turkey given the increase in cases, the Caribbean is not easily reachable from Europe ... what a mess ...
I would not dismiss Cancun, Mexico. We live in the US but need to leave the country and re-enter for documentation purposes (I-94) and will be heading to Cancun again in a couple of weeks. We were very impressed with the facilities and the way they were handling the situation in mid 2020. It's also very handy from our location here in Tampa.
Owenc and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
I just want to know who can take 14 days off? I could never take that much time off I’d be way too behind in work.
American confirmed.

How else are we in Europe supposed to use our 6 weeks vacation?
annihilation likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not sure you can avoid Schengen and the UK if flying from Romania to the US.
Sure you can, TK flies at least daily to most airports in the area, and there's also the JFK connection through BEG.

Even the Bulgarian coast (VAR) can be a good, inexpensive summer option for those who prefer to spend the 14 days in Europe.
Deckter and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 8:32 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not sure you can avoid Schengen and the UK if flying from Romania to the US.
QR and TK fly out of OTP and CLJ
DL77 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
Originally Posted by enviroian
I just want to know who can take 14 days off? I could never take that much time off I’d be way too behind in work.
I would expect most people here run their own business or work for themselves. There was a thread once about people's jobs on the BA Exec forum. This spending 14 days somewhere prior to entry to US is also something I am considering.

Also, geographical independence is a growing trend, and something I feel most people should aspire to. That is real freedom.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by OGG flyer
I would expect most people here run their own business or work for themselves. There was a thread once about people's jobs on the BA Exec forum. This spending 14 days somewhere prior to entry to US is also something I am considering.

Also, geographical independence is a growing trend, and something I feel most people should aspire to. That is real freedom.
Many people are also more able to work from home than they were 18 months ago, and depending on which 'third country' you might use as a bridge to the US, the time difference involved might not even be that great if you're someone who can work from home but still needs to stick to set hours.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
For what it's worth, internet infrastructure is pretty good in Mexico nowadays. Can easily find 30+mbps everywhere and in large cities it's common to find 50mbps or 100mbps plans.

Strangely I had 100mbps in a one night overnight guesthouse in the island of Cozumel. Go figure.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:18 pm

https://www.ft.com/content/64a0018e-...3-d4e407b5b1d2

Key parts:

Hopes are rapidly fading that the US and UK will agree to open an air corridor before the end of the summer, in the latest sign that a rise in coronavirus cases in Britain is hobbling millions of people’s travel plans. Officials involved in talks about a US-UK travel corridor, which started last week, said they thought it was increasingly unlikely they would reach a conclusion by the end of next month, as some had originally expected. Instead they said a combination of the spike in cases of the Delta variant in the UK, the complexities of the US political system, and uncertainty over the status of AstraZeneca’s vaccine were set to extend the talks into August and even September.

Officials in London had hoped they would have the outline of an agreement to reopen US-UK travel by the time of the Independence Day celebrations on July 4. But British government insiders now believe that is likely to prove impossible. One UK official briefed on the talks about a corridor with the US said: “This is not going to happen soon. We thought July was the earliest we might be able to get something in place, but now it’s looking more like September.” Another person familiar with the discussions said the UK was pushing for an agreement far more than the US. “The Biden administration is in no hurry . . . and the chances of anything happening before August now seem to be zilch,” added this person.
Finalising a US-UK travel corridor is further complicated by how many parts of the US government have a say on coronavirus-related travel rules, including the Department of Transportation, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state department and the White House. The status of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine in the US further complicates matters. The Anglo-Swedish pharmaceutical company has not yet applied for authorisation from the US Food and Drug Administration, and when it does so, it is likely to apply for a full legal licence, rather than temporary emergency authorisation — a process that could take several months to complete.
LETTERBOY, Owenc and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by merlin90
lol what a joke
enviroian, LETTERBOY and Owenc like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Disappointing but not surprising.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:30 pm

There's no names being mentioned in that article, and they are just grabbing headlines from Spain and Portugal around restrictions against the UK. US admitted Delta will become dominate in the US very soon.. So doesn't make sense anyway.. But sadly there's probably some truth to this, or not far off.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
And this is a surprise? The forming of a "task force" is almost always code for slow results if not flat out a delaying tactic. The US supporting a task force was never a good sign
Owenc and DL77 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by pc32435
There's no names being mentioned in that article, and they are just grabbing headlines from Spain and Portugal around restrictions against the UK. US admitted Delta will become dominate in the US very soon.. So doesn't make sense anyway.. But sadly there's probably some truth to this, or not far off.
Just because people aren't going on the record to talk about this doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss it. The FT is pretty reputable; we're not talking about an aggregator or a random travel blog.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 2:46 pm

Frankly, the moment they announced that a task force chaired by Sh*pps (one of the greatest waste of space ever to feature in a ministerial position and that's including Failing Grayling and Hancock himself) it was clear that there was no chance of a travel corridor to open before the autumn.

So much for the "special relationship".
aj411, Parkdesigner and Owenc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.