Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2021, 7:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lobo411
It seems that the vaccines we have available now are highly effective against the Indian variant. So the reason for opening up to the UK hasn't changed: high vaccination rates.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid...-variant-study
The US has well over a hundred million people who have not yet been administered any vaccine against Covid-19. That's a lot of potential people in the country still at risk of getting infected. Including at risk of getting infected by people whose vaccination jabs may have not worked out like it generally does. Given this restriction on travel from Europe has been around for 14 months at this point, I'm not going to fuss over several more weeks of the restriction being in place.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:20 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by warakorn
That's all fine. The way China is fighting the virus would be completely unacceptable in the democratic Western world.
You are right. But also preventing fully vaccinated people from accessing their properties or going to work or forcing a person to choose between visiting loved ones or losing their jobs is hardly acceptable in Western democracies, yet .....
Owenc likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given that both France and Germany have now added the UK as a region of concern due to virus variant spread, it may be a bit more weird for the US to rush forward an opening up to additional travel from the UK at a time when the big two EUropean countries are adding additional blocks to travel from the UK.
There is literally no reason for this. Our cases are falling. Here in NI our cases are the lowest in 9 months.
DL77 likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:23 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US has well over a hundred million people who have not yet been administered any vaccine against Covid-19. That's a lot of potential people in the country still at risk of getting infected. Including at risk of getting infected by people whose vaccination jabs may have not worked out like it generally does. Given this restriction on travel from Europe has been around for 14 months at this point, I'm not going to fuss over several more weeks of the restriction being in place.
If the opening/not-opening borders is dependent on to have at least 75-80% american people vaccinated then the borders would never open.. The interest of getting vaccine is dropping drastically (at some states like Florida e.g) even though it is opened for everyone who is 16 years and older. I mean it is choice of those people and if they don't want to be vaccinated it is their sacred right but it also can not block the opening border procedure.
lobo411, LETTERBOY, esledo and 3 others like this.

Last edited by casey89; May 27, 2021 at 7:30 am
Old May 27, 2021, 7:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Eventually, the US vaccination levels won't be a block to US re-opening. Just a matter of when this year.

Originally Posted by DL77
You are right. But also preventing fully vaccinated people from accessing their properties or going to work or forcing a person to choose between visiting loved ones or losing their jobs is hardly acceptable in Western democracies, yet .....
You should see what wealthy European and North American countries have done to families from the poorer countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America (or even each other) for decades and with forcing people with cross-border concerns into inconvenient choices with regard to children, parents, and even spouses.

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Exhibit A on how the world politicians are going to speak to us on the next 3-5 years at least
The US will reopen to the EU/Schengen and UK before your 3-5 years come -- even before 2-5 years come.
renila likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 27, 2021 at 7:31 am
Old May 27, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: FB Gold • LH Senator • BA Silver • ITA Premium
Originally Posted by warakorn
This cannot be true.
When I search for a flight (to get timings and price), I won't put my personal details into that booking request.
What you most likely did was to put your personal details in? Why would you do that for the purpose of just "researching" flights?
As I said above, I was logged in with my FQTV profile, and automatically the website fill the form of my details if you go forward the next page of the list of available flights.
all and all, assuming that I don't have to give you explanations as to why I went beyond the first search page, I went ahead to view the seat map and get an idea of the fillings of a particular EU-US flight (like, between the other, I wrote in my previous post).
Old May 27, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Owenc
There is literally no reason for this. Our cases are falling. Here in NI our cases are the lowest in 9 months.
Can't speak for the French, but the Germans throughout this pandemic have to be seen doing something...anything, even if the restrictions make little sense or have no impact on controlling the virus. And all these mixed signals that governments are putting out there (ie. Spain fully open to brits while France and Germany are not) just makes people lose trust in them.
lobo411, esledo and DL77 like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by casey89
If the opening/not-opening borders is dependent on to have at least 75-80% american people vaccinated then the borders would never open.. The interest of getting vaccine is dropping drastically (at some states like Florida e.g) even though it is opened for everyone who is 16 years and older. I mean it is choice of those people and if they don't want to be vaccinated it is their sacred right but it also can not block the opening border procedure.
Forget the vaccines for a moment. In what world could a President revoke the PPs when the daily Covid-19 deaths reported are still at ~900+?
Old May 27, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by destone
Forget the vaccines for a moment. In what world could a President revoke the PPs when the daily Covid-19 deaths reported are still at ~900+?
900 deaths???
7 day average in US is about 500 x day...not bad at all considering US population
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Old May 27, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
I absolutely do not want to lighten these numbers but it is like ~0,0002% of the USA population. Again I am sorry for the families of those people but how many americans will die daily bcs of alcohol, smoking, other cancers? Why is not the alcohol banned by PP then?
What do you propose? Wait until rednecks realize the vaccine is the only way? And if they don’t then never open? I am afraid it is inevitable that people will always die on covid from now on
Old May 27, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DL77
900 deaths???
7 day average in US is about 500 x day...not bad at all considering US population
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

May 26, 2021:
  • 7-day average: 522
  • New deaths: 964
For comparison, July 4, 2020:
  • 7-day average: 473
  • New deaths: 261
lobo411 likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:57 am

May 26, 2021:
  • New deaths: 964
For comparison, July 4, 2020:
  • 7-day average: 473
964 is wrong-->Day with Data anomaly, see below...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage
Also, you cannot compare 26 May with 04 July....the comparison have to be done with the same day of the 2020

May 26, 2021:
For comparison, May 26 2020:
  • 7-day average: 1000
  • New deaths: 747
I don't know what are you trying to show....the situation is much much better today!
lobo411 likes this.

Last edited by DL77; May 27, 2021 at 10:32 am
Old May 27, 2021, 10:22 am

One has to wonder why some Americans go to such great lengths to deter or limit foreign tourism. In all honesty what is wrong with foreign tourism?
enviroian, leemair23 and DL77 like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Last edited by DYKWIA; May 27, 2021 at 11:22 am Reason: Just repeating what somebody else has posted above.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by joebeee
...there is an article from The Northern Light stating that on June 22 the US might opens its borders for Canadian travelers
Reports that U.S. border to Canada could reopen on June 22 untrue: sources
joebeee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.