Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
How is 72hrs different from 3 days?
If you are departing to flight to US on Friday at 4pm you can get tested anytime during Tuesday (so for example if you get tested on Tuesday 10am the test will be valid if they will follow the CDC requirements which is 3 days up to departure; if it would be 72 hours the first time you can get tested for the same flight would be Tuesday 4:01 PM).
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by pc32435
does the "Test Within One Day" apply to foreign unvaccinated under 18's?
Requirements for Children:
• Children under 18 are excepted from the vaccination requirement for foreign
national travelers, given both the ineligibility of some younger children for
vaccination, as well as the global variability in access to vaccination for older
children who are eligible to be vaccinated.
• Children between the ages of 2 and 17 are required to take a pre-departure test.
• If traveling with a fully vaccinated adult, an unvaccinated child can test three
days prior to departure (consistent with the timeline for fully vaccinated adults).
If an unvaccinated child is traveling alone or with unvaccinated adults, they will
have to test within one day of departure.

Source: white house fact sheet

https://www.ustravel.org/sites/defau...l%20Travel.pdf
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pc32435
does the "Test Within One Day" apply to foreign unvaccinated under 18's?
From reading the Fact Sheet it states, unvaccinated under 18s travelling with fully vaccinated parents can take their antigen/PCR test as per their parents at 3 days prior. Unvaccinated under 18s travelling alone or with unvaccinated parents must take their antigen/PCR within 1 day of travel.

The exact text:

Children under 18 are excepted from the vaccination requirement for foreign national travelers, given both the ineligibility of some younger children for vaccination, as well as the global variability in access to vaccination for older children who are eligible to be vaccinated.
• Children between the ages of 2 and 17 are required to take a pre-departure test.
• If traveling with a fully vaccinated adult, an unvaccinated child can test three
days prior to departure (consistent with the timeline for fully vaccinated adults). If an unvaccinated child is traveling alone or with unvaccinated adults, they will have to test within one day of departure.

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by casey89
If you are departing to flight to US on Friday at 4pm you can get tested anytime during Tuesday (so for example if you get tested on Tuesday 10am the test will be valid if they will follow the CDC requirements which is 3 days up to departure; if it would be 72 hours the first time you can get tested for the same flight would be Tuesday 4:01 PM).
I'm saying that "3 days" is vague, 72hrs is specific. 3 days CAN mean 72hrs (in my field of work, 3 days ALWAYS means "exactly 72 hours"), so 3 days & 72hrs isn't a contradiction necessarily. It's very possible that 72hrs is being more specific.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Requirements for Children:
• Children under 18 are excepted from the vaccination requirement for foreign
national travelers, given both the ineligibility of some younger children for
vaccination, as well as the global variability in access to vaccination for older
children who are eligible to be vaccinated.
days prior to departure (consistent with the timeline for fully vaccinated adults).
If an unvaccinated child is traveling alone or with unvaccinated adults, they will
have to test within one day of departure.

Source: white house fact sheet

https://www.ustravel.org/sites/defau...l%20Travel.pdf

Perfect Thank you!
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US citizens flying to the US who cannot demonstrate proof of being "fully vaccinated" will have to produce documentation of a negative test within one day of departure to show to the airline prior to flying to the US.

For US citizens who send minor US citizen children back to the US for Thanksgiving or the winter break, this "reopening" could be a frustrating point.
Xyzzy and DaveS like this.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm saying that "3 days" is vague, 72hrs is specific. 3 days CAN mean 72hrs (in my field of work, 3 days ALWAYS means "exactly 72 hours"), so 3 days & 72hrs isn't a contradiction necessarily. It's very possible that 72hrs is being more specific.
i am just stating the fact how it is played.. for me 3 days = 72 hrs as well, but apparently as it is said also by other people here, it is really the 3 days rule which gives more flexibility.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by casey89
i am just stating the fact how it is played.. for me 3 days = 72 hrs as well, but apparently as it is said also by other people here, it is really the 3 days rule which gives more flexibility.
I am currently assuming that the coming 1 day rule is also being done to provide a bit more flexibility than if it was set at a firm 24 hours -- otherwise I'm sure I'll hear more about this tomorrow.
casey89 likes this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Couldn't the following apply to some of the Sputnik-vaccinated?

Or are you talking about the subset of Sputnik-vaccinated persons for whom the above may not apply?
Wouldn't this apply:

Accepted Vaccines:
•CDC has determined that for purposes of travel to the United States, vaccines accepted will include FDA approved or authorized and World Health Organization (WHO) emergency use listed (EUL) vaccines.

•Individualscan be considered fully vaccinated ≥2 weeks after receipt of the last dose if they have received any single dose of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO EUL approved single-dose series (i.e., Janssen), or any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series(i.e. mixing and matching).

•More details are available in the CDC Annex here

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Does it specify if it has to be a supervised test? If so, does the qured test, where you take it via video link, count?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have updated my previous summary, the CDC has confirmed that the previous arrangements for pre-flight departure - namely 3 days rather than 72 hours - continues.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
- 24 hour testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html
From the above CDC link and the further detail below, it's 1 day, not 24 hours.

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure and the 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses 1-day and 3-day time frames instead of 24 hours and 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day and 3-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if you are fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after. If you are not fully vaccinated and your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...travelers.html
Old Oct 25, 2021, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Travelers should just go to this CDC page instead of reading regulations
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...vel/index.html

Vaccines recognized for entry into the US:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac

As mentioned above, timeframe for testing is calendar days not hours. If flight departing for US is Friday, testing should not be performed earlier than Tuesday.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I had my second Pfizer back in May, so am good on the vaccination front. However I'm getting my booster dose in early November, less than two weeks before I travel to the USA. Can anyone point me to the specific wording of the rules on vaccination timing so that I can prove that I'm ok should someone in authority try to prevent me from entering because it's too soon after my most recent vaccination?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I had my second Pfizer back in May, so am good on the vaccination front. However I'm getting my booster dose in early November, less than two weeks before I travel to the USA. Can anyone point me to the specific wording of the rules on vaccination timing so that I can prove that I'm ok should someone in authority try to prevent me from entering because it's too soon after my most recent vaccination?
You don't have a problem, boosters are not the primary dose series of vaccination, and that's what counts here. It's linked via this thread's wiki, but here is a short cut:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ccination.html

And the text says:

Originally Posted by CDC
Are you Fully Vaccinated for Air Travel to the United States?

You are considered fully vaccinated:

2 weeks (14 days) after your dose of an accepted single-dose COVID-19 vaccine.
2 weeks (14 days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series COVID-19 vaccine; or
2 weeks (14 days) after you received the full series of an “active” (not placebo) COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S.-based AstraZeneca or Novavax COVID-19 vaccine trials
2 weeks (14 days) after you received 2 doses of any “mix-and-match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines administered at least 17 days apart*
If you don’t meet these requirements, you are NOT considered fully vaccinated.

*CDC has not recommended the use of mix-and-match COVID-19 vaccine primary series. However, such strategies are increasingly common in many countries outside of the United States. Therefore, for the purpose of interpreting vaccination records for travel to the United States, CDC will accept combinations of accepted COVID-19 vaccines.
seawolf, lhrsfo, golfmad and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.