Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:37 pm

Sighhhhhh. It wouldn't be so bad, but on top of missing my event, I wont even be able to move my tickets with a reprice... and obviously prices have gone completely nuts.

All I can hope is that something goes wrong with the schedule (at least I can salvage the tickets then), but it's unlikely as they've been flying my particular flights pretty regularly.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Well, personally I wouldn't give much credence to some posts in Facebook groups - a large UK family booking a Florida trip for this November - this cannot be more than single incidences.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Croatia is now approved for the US Visa Waiver Program, and it will go effective no later than December 1st of this year. Or maybe it will happen in November at around the same time as the additional opening to travelers from the UK-IRL CTA and the Schengen area.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Virgin Flying Club (Silver)
Originally Posted by RG1X
Sighhhhhh. It wouldn't be so bad, but on top of missing my event, I wont even be able to move my tickets with a reprice... and obviously prices have gone completely nuts.

All I can hope is that something goes wrong with the schedule (at least I can salvage the tickets then), but it's unlikely as they've been flying my particular flights pretty regularly.
I’m in pretty much the same situation (but probably less urgent). I booked flights and the whole shebang for the New York Marathon in 2020 thinking surely this can’t last that long. Obviously it was cancelled so deferred everything to this year. I was about to defer to next year but then the “early November” date was mentioned so decided to have some faith in my heart (especially as it’s the 50th running) but alas day by day I know It’s not gonna happen and the race will go without me on November 7. I can’t do the workarounds I’m not seemingly as wealthy as most on this board, I can’t afford to take two weeks unpaid leave from work. It just is what it is.
I just wish there was a date announced soon to give some closure either way
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:53 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, personally I wouldn't give much credence to some posts in Facebook groups - a large UK family booking a Florida trip for this November - this cannot be more than single incidences.
believe me or not, that’s your choice, but don’t underestimate the draw of The Mouse. BA & Virgin used to fill 7 x 747s a day to Orlando with U.K. families. The number of U.K. people that own villas or DVC points alone is not small. Throw in the 50th celebrations and you have have lots of people clamouring to get to Florida. It will definitely be more than single incidences.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tim_T
believe me or not, that’s your choice, but don’t underestimate the draw of The Mouse. BA & Virgin used to fill 7 x 747s a day to Orlando with U.K. families. The number of U.K. people that own villas or DVC points alone is not small. Throw in the 50th celebrations and you have have lots of people clamouring to get to Florida. It will definitely be more than single incidences.
Again, in my eyes it can be only single incidences of families booking trips to The Mouse for this November. Owning villas makes no difference in terms of travel ban.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Croatia is now approved for the US Visa Waiver Program, and it will go effective no later than December 1st of this year. Or maybe it will happen in November at around the same time as the additional opening to travelers from the UK-IRL CTA and the Schengen area.
Well, from December 1 Croatian citizens are certainly entitled to enter the US as UK + (most other) EU citizens -> Spend 15 nights in Canada/Mexico etc. before entering; On the other side Biden would have to extend the travel ban to cover Croatia beforehand.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Again, in my eyes it can be only single incidences
Think what you will, but there are thousands of people desperate to get across the pond for a whole host of reasons, and a decent proportion of them are stuck in this cycle of planning, booking, rescheduling ad infinitum. That might seem strange to you, but to many, the process of planning and booking gives hope and can help to releive some of the stresses of the last 18 months - personally I am probably up to 10 changed schedules now, and am currently looking at alternates for when my mid-Nov trip gets canned by the latest round of incompetence.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Think what you will, but there are thousands of people desperate to get across the pond for a whole host of reasons, and a decent proportion of them are stuck in this cycle of planning, booking, rescheduling ad infinitum. That might seem strange to you, but to many, the process of planning and booking gives hope and can help to releive some of the stresses of the last 18 months - personally I am probably up to 10 changed schedules now, and am currently looking at alternates for when my mid-Nov trip gets canned by the latest round of incompetence.
Well, I do not disagree with you. But apparently you do not get my point. My point is that I doubt that a significant number of UK families are currently comitting fresh cash for USA travel bookings for this November.
And there is a noticeable difference between looking/planing a trip and booking a trip (tying up real cash). Moreover, I cannot comprehend how booking a USA trip now for November would relieve stress - on the contrary; such people are literally forced to investigate each day whether they are any hard news regarding the travel ban.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 1:24 am
Original Member

Again, in my eyes it can be only single incidences of families booking trips to The Mouse for this November. Owning villas makes no difference in terms of travel ban.
Agree, owning villas makes no difference with the travel ban since it doesn’t qualify you for an exemption. However it does contribute to the desire to travel to Florida at the earliest opportunity.

With the current flexible Covid cancellation rules from airlines and travel companies, lots of people, including me, have nothing to lose from booking for November & December, that will make it many many more than “single incidences” .
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Well, I do not disagree with you. But apparently you do not get my point. My point is that I doubt that a significant number of UK families are currently comitting fresh cash for USA travel bookings for this November.
And there is a noticeable difference between looking/planing a trip and booking a trip (tying up real cash). Moreover, I cannot comprehend how booking a USA trip now for November would relieve stress - on the contrary; such people are literally forced to investigate each day whether they are any hard news regarding the travel ban.
The great majority of people don't follow FT on a daily basis. The travel ban has been widely (mis-)reported in the UK press as either finished or ending in November. From my survey of my own friends, without exception those I've talked to have all thought it's finished and can't understand why I haven't gone already.
Tim_T and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The great majority of people don't follow FT on a daily basis. The travel ban has been widely (mis-)reported in the UK press as either finished or ending in November. From my survey of my own friends, without exception those I've talked to have all thought it's finished and can't understand why I haven't gone already.
I can relate to this. Work colleagues/friends/family all say the same to me when I say I’ve pushed mine back from the 1st November to the 13th.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:37 am

I've literally seen "when the US ended its travel ban" written in news stories.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:10 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Jon Sopel, BBC North America Editor, on Twitter:

Those hoping to hear the US will open up to UK and EU travellers on Nov 1, news is not great. Official with knowledge has told me it’s “increasing unlikely that it will happen in early November.” All sorts of issues apparently.

…1st issue is agreeing a standard for validating someone is double vaxxed. UK and France have great apps, not so in rest of world.

While Federal Government is charged with decision to lift travel ban, it's indiv states who decide what policies to implement for new arrivals. So govt can demand that people arriving must pay for and have a day 2 test, but it will be up to states to decide whether they do that.

Also this is being discussed by multiple government departments – so in one sense everyone owns the policy, but bureaucratically it means no one does. And that is slowing things up.

…hopes for beginning of November seem to be fading.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Jon Sopel, BBC North America Editor, on Twitter:

While Federal Government is charged with decision to lift travel ban, it's indiv states who decide what policies to implement for new arrivals. So govt can demand that people arriving must pay for and have a day 2 test, but it will be up to states to decide whether they do that.
And if states wish to set their own requirements they damn well better apply to all travelers, not just INTL people.
JBJ2435 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.