Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by florens
This situation or rather the lack of positive development is starting to worry me regarding our early 2022 plans.

I have enrolled at a vocational school in Denver where I‘ll be attending a 6 weeks course from March to mid April 2022 to become a FAA Flight Dispatcher. Originally, the plan was to do a road trip before and after this course. I‘ll be traveling with my wife from early February to April 2022 from Switzerland.

Given the uncertainty, at this point I don‘t quite know what is best to do given we have flights booked already.

1) Wait
2) Start the application process for a NIE which I think I could obtain, but I don‘t know if that would be possible for my wife too? Traveling alone is not an option.
3) Start the application process for an M1 student visa for myself and an M2 spouse visa for my wife

Options 2) and 3) require to cancel any touristic activities and would result in change of flights anyway, hence why I am reluctant in doing so and would rather wait out at this point.
Can’t you get an F-1 visa with your vocational school acceptance? If they have I-20s or something and you get an F visa, you wouldn’t be barred from entry.
florens likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Nayef
Can’t you get an F-1 visa with your vocational school acceptance? If they have I-20s or something and you get an F visa, you wouldn’t be barred from entry.
Without wanting to go too much OT, I understand for non-academic schools an M1 visa is sufficient

F-1 Visa
This is the most common type of student visa. If you wish to engage in academic studies in the United States at an approved school, such as an accredited U.S. college or university, private secondary school, or approved English language program then you need an F-1 visa. You will also need an F-1 visa if your course of study is more than 18 hours a week.

M-1 Visa
If you plan to engage in non-academic or vocational study, or training at a U.S. institution then you need an M-1 visa.
The course I will be attending is at Jeppesen.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
I think you overestimate how desperate people are for American tourism dollars. Intra-EU tourism has been very high this year -- all the Europeans that would have otherwise travelled abroad stayed inside the continent instead. They're not doing staycations.
Yes I work in an office and several of my colleagues are off for weekend breaks to Portugal, Spain and Italy. We bring in money from our countries too
Old Aug 30, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by keitherson
And there is absolutely something the EU can do, which is to ban Americans again, which they have just done to some degree. Hopefully to elicit a response. If the Biden administration continues to not care, we'll continue to see countries make reciprocal moves back to closing borders to Americans.
If the EU's goal is to get EU tourists into the US, there is, indeed, nothing the EU can do. No matter what the EU does, the White House will say, "So what?" The EU can impose whatever restriction on US visitors it wants, but none of those restrictions will get EU citizens closer to getting to the US. The US government simply doesn't care about international travel right now. Nothing will change until they start to care, and nothing the EU can do will make them care.

Originally Posted by Mordac
Does that mean the Biden administration wants to ban EU and UK citizens from visiting forever? Is that really their policy preference?
No, I don't think that's their policy preference. they're just indifferent. They're also distracted by a whole host of other issues (Afghanistan, Hurrican Ida, etc.).

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Thankfully UK & Europe has a healthcare system in most countries which would have beds should US citizens require during their vacation… perhaps the US could take some ideas away
The style of healthcare that the EU & the UK have will never happen in the US, for reasons that are very much OT.
artemis, lobo411 and northinsouth like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:25 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by DL77
I think you are overestimating the importance of American tourism.
My family owns a hotel in Venice and I guarantee you that we have had a very very good summer season thanks to European domestic tourism.
Even with open borders to americans, the share of Americans, although considerable, is marginal.
Travel restrictions have caused domestic tourism to booming.
Well as long as we're going with anecdotes, today I went to pick up my rental car in Switzerland and there was an American couple who had been in Venice a few days ago.

When asked if there were a lot of people, they referred to hotel and restaurant employees telling them that they're really missing a lot of foreign tourists, from China, Australia, etc. Not so much other EU tourists but those from outside the EU.
lobo411 and tauphi like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
If that's the case, it'll fail. The White House has made abundantly clear that they have little, if any, interest in opening up the border in the near term. To the extent that the administration notices such a move by the EU, they will be either amused or annoyed that the EU is making such a big deal about something that they (the US) clearly thinks is not that important. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing anyone in the EU can do about this. The administration simply doesn't care. There would have to be significant domestic pressure before the White House would move, and there isn't any domestic pressure to speak of.
The White House did some “opening up the border in the near term” for travel from Europe. The White House got the State Department to expand NIEs and ease up NIE terms for a significant group of travelers from Europe to the US this summer: Europeans coming to the US for academic purposes. This has meant a lot more young European adults traveling from Europe to the US this summer than last summer; and without the summer “opening up” in part, the US schools’ reopening wouldn’t have mattered as much to those Europeans — for it’s the liberalization/expansion of NIEs for academic visitors that is part and parcel of the school reopenings meaning much of anything for in-person attendance in the US by these travelers from Europe.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:10 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Once again a number of off-topic posts had to be deleted. ICU occupancy in the US and vaccinated/unvaccinated Covid cases in LA County are off topic for this thread. Please stay on topic so this thread may remain open as a useful information resource.

/mod
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bmr25
I am a UK citizen (also with Irish and UK passport)
I wish to travel over before or after the birth of my grandchild in October.
My daughter is married to a US citizen and is a resident herself.

The US Embassy will not answer my email about whether this reason permits me to apply for an ESTA to travel
Is anyone able to advise if this is possible? Or if not who to contact?

Thanks in advance
Firstly congratulations on your impending grandparenthood (is that even a word?)
as far as your ESTA application goes, you should have no problem applying for and receiving authorisation to travel. Unless there are other normal underlying reasons for rejection. Where you will likely have an issue is if you plan to travel directly to US from UK or EU, I then suspect that your ESTA would be cancelled just prior to your scheduled flight.
I think the only way for you to enter US would be by first doing a 15day [mod edit] stay in a country that is not on the travel ban list. My wife and I are UK citizens and have just arrived in US via this route and had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Drop me a PM if you need more detail on our experience.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 31, 2021 at 2:42 pm Reason: Please do not confuse a new member with an inappropriate use of word
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:08 am

Well I pulled the trigger last night, will leave Spain Wednesday the 15th and will be in Mexico for the next couple of weeks and my plan is to fly into Florida on the 30th which will be my 15th day out of Europe if my maths are correct, hopefully this is enough time out of Europe to avoid any issues.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Howmuch
Well I pulled the trigger last night, will leave Spain Wednesday the 15th and will be in Mexico for the next couple of weeks and my plan is to fly into Florida on the 30th which will be my 15th day out of Europe if my maths are correct, hopefully this is enough time out of Europe to avoid any issues.
I’d expect you will be ok. I did exactly same dates, but in August. At check in yesterday at Cancun the agents first question was to check how long we had been in Mexico for and to check dates using our Mexican immigration exit card. Additionally, since we were on an ESTA she wanted to see details of departure flight from USA. Safe travels.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
I’d expect you will be ok. I did exactly same dates, but in August. At check in yesterday at Cancun the agents first question was to check how long we had been in Mexico for and to check dates using our Mexican immigration exit card. Additionally, since we were on an ESTA she wanted to see details of departure flight from USA. Safe travels.
Thanks for the confirmation, its appreciated, I have a B1/B2 visa so won´t book a departure from the US for a while, I´ll have to continue the waiting game like everyone here, if the US opens up whilst I'm in the US I will just stay a few weeks come home and go back again in November on the flights I already have booked, if not I´ll stay at least a month and repeat the whole process again in January, possibly via Costa Rica to keep it interesting.

Its a real pain wasting time and money in other countries when we just need to be in the States but I'm sure there are lots like me who have too much invested in the US and simply can´t wait around for years for things to get back to normal.

Must be awful for families separated, truly hope this is over soon.

Thanks again....

Last edited by Howmuch; Aug 31, 2021 at 7:33 am
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It would make little sense to close it now. If you wanted to close it, it should have been done during tourist season when far more people are flying. A handful of vaccinated business travellers is less likely to spread COVID than hordes of vaccinated tourists.

And to bring it back on topic, the same applies in reverse.
That's an easy one... tourists bring money. Now the summer is almost over the benefit no longer outweighs the risk with the current situation in the US. Business travelers can either do it remotely or find one of many likely exemptions.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ok, 140 odd pages, 2k posts! I’m yet to see much.

Are there any genuine sources or hints that the US will lift the U.K. travel ban before 2022?
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Ok, 140 odd pages, 2k posts! I’m yet to see much.

Are there any genuine sources or hints that the US will lift the U.K. travel ban before 2022?
No.
Boraxo, enviroian, AZ112 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:44 pm

At this stage, I think it wouldn’t be impossible that Australia reopens before the US. And I would have bet my house against that a few months ago…
Markie, lhrsfo and Owenc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.