Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:48 am

Well then just create a worldwide vaccine verification system.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The bigger issue might well be what faces non-EU travellers to France currently: the widespread adoption of vaccine passports for access to pretty well any large gathering is enforced on the ground by people who simply want to look at an App. There is an EU-wide scheme, but if you have been vaccinated elsewhere, you need to load proof into the French app - and that causes problems both in the loading (although it seems that this is being overcome) and in the reading - door staff aren't trained to handle non-EU vaccine passports. This was potentially a problem with the Bruce Springsteen concert in NYC and I can see it becoming a bigger problem in the future.
If Lemondust01's significant other is in Texas, this shouldn't be a major impediment. Texas is like Florida when it comes to covid. I don't know off the top of my head if Texas has an actual ban on vaccine passports like FL does, but they'll never have a vaccine passport even if there is no actual ban. I don't think the idea of vaccine passports will see widespread use in the US, actually. You'll see some places try it, primarily in blue states (NYC, for example), but I doubt it takes widespread hold. And for a tourist, I'd imagine any proof issued by one's home country would work in situations where it would be needed.

Originally Posted by Owenc
Well then just create a worldwide vaccine verification system.
Not happening, for a variety of reasons. You'll never see every country voluntarily giving up their own verification systems. And in the United States, we don't even have one, except for the CDC cards. There's no political will to set one up - if anything, there's more political will to not set one up. And even if we did want to set one up, merging together the public health systems of 50 states, plus the territories, would be a technological mess.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by DL77
"interesting" theory. Instead, filling a stadium with 60,000 people and letting Americans travel wherever they like, what does that mean? Please…be serious…
It means that the United States places fewer restrictions on its own citizens than European nations place on theirs. Or perhaps you think we ought to be more like Europe, with 45,000 euro fines for restaurants not checking covid vaccination passports, or 5,000 pound fines for people caught leaving the UK on holiday?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...es-2021-07-19/
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56493002
tai4de2 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by lobo411; Aug 10, 2021 at 7:25 am
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
[Redacted reference to a post which has since been deleted by mod team]

[Unduly personalized content edited by Moderator.]

By far, the biggest indicator to people that things were returning to normal was the CDC's relaxation of mask restrictions back in May. From that moment the cat was out of the bag and shall never return to it. One way or another, there is absolutely no logical correlation between any of this and whether or not Europeans should be allowed to enter the US.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 11, 2021 at 4:04 pm Reason: Per FT Rule 12 that members discuss the topic and not other members in a personalized way.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 4:00 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
A number of off-topic posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic and only post if you have something to contribute to the thread.

/mod
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 22, 2021 at 6:19 am
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The US bar on most non-U.S. citizens coming from the United Kingdom, Ireland and the 26 Schengen countries has now been in place for something like 530 days.

On August 20th, the US extended for 30-days the land border restrictions for non-essential travel from Canada, and that is to last now until September 21st despite Canada having opened its border to vaccinated Americans. So there seems to be a 30-day rolling period/review for that at least already.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:20 am

I cant believe we are no further forward after all this time and am now starting to think this madness could go into next year.

I've cancelled my September flight after Tap changed my schedule once again and received more vouchers, flights to Mexico for me at least have tripled in price from what I was looking at just a month ago, All inclusive for the first 7 nights it is then, I'm going to go mid September but won't book until 3 days before just in case some miracle happens.....
LETTERBOY, Owenc, mikeyfly and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Is there any chance whatsoever that the transit requirement could be relaxed separately from the ban? Or are they just going to maintain the status quo until the ban is removed wholesale?

I've been in a particularly stupid situation for 18 months now where I wouldn't have a problem entering the US from my home country, but my pre-COVID, thrice-rebooked ticket is on LH, hence I have no option but to transit through Schengen. The only other option would be cancelling and booking with another carrier, but that would cost me 2.5x the original fare...
neuromancerLKLB, prgboy and Owenc like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Howmuch
I cant believe we are no further forward after all this time and am now starting to think this madness could go into next year.

I've cancelled my September flight after Tap changed my schedule once again and received more vouchers, flights to Mexico for me at least have tripled in price from what I was looking at just a month ago, All inclusive for the first 7 nights it is then, I'm going to go mid September but won't book until 3 days before just in case some miracle happens.....
[political comments removed by moderator]

France and Germany are pushing the others EU partners to reissue a travel ban right after the vacation period, starting from September. They are in talks to see if the new ban will be for every US citizens or just for the unvaccinated.
Owenc likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 24, 2021 at 11:27 am
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:54 am

I’ve given up waiting. Was planning on having 3 weeks in the States with 1 week being in Florida for my 5yo to see Disney.

now booked to have 2 weeks (15night) in the Dutch Antilles and 1 week in Florida.

Think I’m actually looking forward to this more than our original plans.
esledo and Owenc like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by DL77
France and Germany are pushing the others EU partners to reissue a travel ban right after the vacation period, starting from September. They are in talks to see if the new ban will be for every US citizens or just for the unvaccinated.
I hope the EU don't go down the tit for tat route, that benefits nobody and is hardly going to open things up, the ongoing situation is costing both sides some serious damage financially and will be seeing jobs go on both sides of the Atlantic.

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 24, 2021 at 11:28 am Reason: Removed part of quote that has been deleted
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Hawes7701
I’ve given up waiting. Was planning on having 3 weeks in the States with 1 week being in Florida for my 5yo to see Disney.

now booked to have 2 weeks (15night) in the Dutch Antilles and 1 week in Florida.

I´m the same, Mexico was never on my radar but quite looking forward to the temples and jungle wildlife now.

If I go this route in September I´ll stay in Florida for a month and then if the US continues to be shut us, December or January I´ll go via Costa Rica, all the time they are doing this people are spending dollars in other countries and less in the US.
Owenc and Hawes7701 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:02 am

I hope the EU don't go down the tit for tat route, that benefits nobody and is hardly going to open things up, the ongoing situation is costing both sides some serious damage financially and will be seeing jobs go on both sides of the Atlantic.
It is seriously unfair though that U.S. citizens are allowed to do what they like and Europeans aren't. It's not 'tit for tat', it's just reciprocal.
Owenc, HGOLI, oruvin and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Hawes7701

Florida is a death trap right now, with 20% of all Covid tests coming back positive. And children can't be vaccinated, so tons of cases are in children.
​​​​​
If I were you, I would continue rethinking your plans.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 8:08 am

It's not costing the US very much at all, tbh. Overseas arrivals are still way below normal, but it's barely affecting spending at all.

In June 2021, travel spending tallied $87.6 billion and reflected a drop of “only” 15% below June 2019 levels, a significant improvement from earlier months

Occupancy of short-term rentals rose to an all-time high of 70% in June 2021 –

Overseas arrivals in June 2021 were 77% below June 2019 levels—driven mostly from inbound travel from Latin America, while visitations from other markets remain stagnant
https://www.ustravel.org/research/mo...el-data-report
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.