Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDC’s website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by warakorn
And who in his right mind is going to book a transatlantic trip now?
Guilty as charged.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta, Lufthansa
And righly so. Unless there is reciprocity, borders ought to remain closed to American visitors. I am glad the French have made that clear. I also heard Ursula van der Leyen saying something about that on TV.
Owenc, Deckter and DL77 like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Guilty as charged.
This is fine, but don't complain about having to rebook to a higher fare.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RTheys
Guilty as charged.
Welcome to FT RTheys and congratulations on your first post. I hope we see more in the future
Old May 18, 2021, 8:10 am

Edi Thru Dublin to USA

Hi all,

I cannot find a clear answer online for this, but excuse me if that is my mistake.

In the event of the US opening to UK before it opens to the EU, does anyone know if I could depart Edi and travel thru Dublin to the US?
This is assuming Ireland is not allowed into the US as it is part of the EU, but the UK is.

This may be a hypothetical at the current time, which would explain why I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.
But if someone does know of concise literature that clears this up, I'd appreciate that info.

Basically, is a Dublin connection going to work once the UK/US route opens?

Many thanks in advance
Old May 18, 2021, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
This is assuming Ireland is not allowed into the US as it is part of the EU, but the UK is.
Due to the Common Travel Area it is highly unlikely that the US would lift the travel ban only for the UK, but not Ireland.
Short reason: Due to the open border between Ireland and Northern Ireland (UK) US CBP has no way in knowing whether an Irish citizen, flying from LHR to the US, had been in Ireland 14 days before the flight.

Basically, is a Dublin connection going to work once the UK/US route opens?
By the current logic of the travel ban any connecting point in a country, which is covered by the travel ban, makes the traveller not eligible to enter the US.
So, it won't work.

Do not book any transatlantic flights at this time!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:24 am

Just a bit of thinking...
If the US were to open up, would it be just smarter to do it progressively.
Let me just be clearer:
  • Open to vaccinated people that have business in the US,
  • Then just to vaccinated people,
  • Then just for business to vaccinated people or a 72h PCR test,
  • etc..
  • and last for tourism
So at least you can check how things evolve and if things tends to go bad, you can reverse the choices.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by axelcaroli
Let me just be clearer:
  • etc..
  • and last for tourism
So at least you can check how things evolve and if things tends to go bad, you can reverse the choices.
Just a question, why? Vaccinated are vaccinated.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by axelcaroli
Let me just be clearer:
  • etc..
  • and last for tourism
No, this would just be an excuse for continued restrictions to most people. Like now they would drag out each stage.
esledo, OGG flyer and DL77 like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
And let's not forget that not all US international airports are accepting UK flights, e.g. LAX is, SAN is not.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Full Score
And let's not forget that not all US international airports are accepting UK flights, e.g. LAX is, SAN is not.
Hi,

I thought that that restriction ( only certain airports were allowed for Intl arrivals from the UK) had been lifted?. BA may have also separately decided due to demand to suspend SAN at the moment.

Regards

TBS
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:42 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by jo535
The Indian mutation is probably more wide.spread in the US than in Europe, as the US waited a long time to ban travel from India. There is a tremendous pressure on Biden right now from other countries and the travel industry. If the US does not reciprocate, most EU countries will still ban Americans which would be hard to motivate to the American people. The EU covid curve has plummeted the past weeks. In some EU-countries, like Sweden for instance, more than 40 % have received the first shot.

I seriously doubt many Europeans will rush to get tickets to the United States this summer. Those who have to travel will, but most will wait and see what happens this fall.
https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...europe-flights

Lufthansa said on Tuesday it was seeing a surge in demand for flights to the United States and to European destinations following a loosening of German travel restrictions as coronavirus case numbers decline.

Demand for summer flights to New York, Miami and Los Angeles has increased by up to 300%, the German airline group said, adding it would lay on extra flights from June and has restarted services to Orlando and Atlanta.

Is Germany considered to be in Northern Europe?
Old May 18, 2021, 10:50 am

I see Lufthansa is slated to resume their Orlando service on June 2nd and hasn't pushed it back yet. I really do hope there is some movement in the next couple of weeks because reciprocity should be a condition for most countries I'd hope. I believe the EU would make that a stipulation.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:57 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I think Biden should lift the restrictions on the EU and the UK.

However, the reality is that EU politicians are being pressured by their tourism businesses to open up tourism as widely as possible, which means including Americans.

I don't think they're pushing for reciprocity as a condition to allowing Americans in. There may be other stakeholders which demand reciprocity but the people pushing the hardest to open up don't care about reciprocity.

So we will see what the politicians do but keep in mind, Americans spend way more in Europe than Europeans do in America.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I thought that that restriction ( only certain airports were allowed for Intl arrivals from the UK) had been lifted?. BA may have also separately decided due to demand to suspend SAN at the moment.

Regards

TBS
I didn't know that the International Arrival Airports into the US had been changed. When was this, please? In any case, BA have zero-ed out all flights to SAN before July 12, and then no First is mentioned thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.