Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Sep 15, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDCs website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I'm much happier with a US policy driven by scientists and dctors -- however overcautious and restrained their approach -- than the way US policy was driven by TFG, based on optics and the need to place blame elsewhere.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I also don't get all the drama in this thread. I am an American and I think our policy is stupid but I have had to cancel multiple trips to Asia over the last 18 months (most recently Japan later this month) because I couldn't enter the country but they could enter our country. Seems "unfair" to me but I didn't take it personally and I didn't get mad, life goes on. I will say all my trips so far for the remainder of 2021 and all of 2022 are to countries that have generally been more open to being open. This isn't an emotional decision but a business one as at this point I'll focus trips that are more likely to happen. Same will apply to 2023 because sadly I think there will be knock on effects even into that year. I am scheduled to go to Greece in September if they tell me to pound sand oh well. First world problems and all that.
I follow you up to a certain point, and yes its getting too emotional here clearly. But the comparison with APAC countries is not really relevant. APAC countries are just in prison mode and they refuse basically everyone. We may not like it (I dont), but at least its clear and consistent. People here (including myself) get very frustrated about the US because their policy makes no sense at all. And they even said repeatedly that their decisions are based on science !!! Come on !
JNelson113, Boraxo, Sjoerd and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:57 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
this is THE issue for me….
White House will not lift any restrictions NOW
I expect the WH to give some indication as to WHEN at least the next decision will be taken…. I am ok if they say no decision until xx or whatever…. But right now I have no idea if I can travel on Sept 3 as booked a year ago. On date „xx“ I expect a communication of the next date a decision will be taken. Right now I cannot plan any alternative and rebook my flights.
JNelson113, prgboy, Owenc and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Furthermore, as the number of people vaccinated increases, it follows that the number of vaccinated people who get covid will increase as well, since no vaccine is 100% effective. If you get the flu shot, there's a chance you'll still get the flu. The vaccine isn't supposed to stop you from getting covid as much as it's supposed to stop you from getting seriously ill and dying from covid. The public messaging, however, has been abysmal on this point, and now too many people think that if you get the vaccine it means you don't get covid.
and this is why vaccinations are something that should protect you and the ones who cant be vaccinated. The idea that everyone should be forced to vaccinate for the greater good is hogwash and does nothing to stop spread. The whole messaging has been around stopping the spread. That is NOT what this vaccine is about, just like the flu jab. Its merely there to reduce the impact to you.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
It's gotten quite dramatic in this thread...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I agree that this is all to personal...
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I also don't get all the drama in this thread...
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Yeh so much bitterness in this thread...
Originally Posted by Goldorak
...and yes its getting too emotional here clearly...
Dunno about emotional, dramatic, bitter and personal, but it's actually starting to sound a bit patronising in this thread.

I think a lot of those comments were aimed at me. I have to say that I don't feel remotely emotional or bitter about this.

Having said that, all of my travel is about my emotions as I have no actual need to travel anywhere; I do it simply to make my already contented life even happier. I only bother travelling to the places that tug on my heart, and I'm afraid that the USA no longer tugs on my heart in the way that it used to. You can tell me that I oughtn't feel that way until your face turns blue, but the truth is that I do feel that way.
:D! and Owenc like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:25 am

Everyone has its own opinion based on its own experience.

For me things are unfortunately very simple and probably some other people in this thread share the same situation :

I own a property in the US, pay taxes, but since I am a not a full time resident (no green card) and I am not American, I just can go to my home.

If things were complicated in 2020 and closing the country was probably a good choice, one and a half year ago later , all scientific and political arguments are just void.

I am fully vaccinated, and where I live there are a lot of Americans coming for the holidays, and the only way I can get to the US is spending 14 days abroad, which is totally nonsense. I work and I just can't take 3 weeks off and I don't fall under a NIE category !!!

This is why this travel ban is not about simple tourism but it includes some categories that are really affected by the Trump and then Biden decisions.

I cannot even imagine people stranded because of family separation or more personal reasons.
chris63, lhrsfo, Goldorak and 5 others like this.

Last edited by axelcaroli; Aug 6, 2021 at 3:31 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:44 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Source: https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...8d6e6172c6f2dc

Lufthansa Expects U.S. To Reopen International Travel In September

FRANKFURT—Lufthansa Group CEO Carsten Spohr now expects the U.S. to reopen air travel for fully vaccinated international passengers by the end of September, a step that could be a key milestone in the airline’s recovery.

Spohr’s forecast came after the Biden administration said it is working on a stepped approach to allow foreign travelers back into the U.S., starting with those that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. While Lufthansa has no further information on timing, the group is working on the assumption that it will be able to accept bookings for its U.S. flights from non-U.S. citizens or residents at the end of the third quarter. The Lufthansa CEO hopes the actual reopening could even come weeks sooner.
too late for me, but at least some dates to focus on...hope and see
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Source: https://aviationweek.com/air-transpo...8d6e6172c6f2dc

too late for me, but at least some dates to focus on...hope and see
I would take this with a grain of salt. This is just PR to get people booking flights. My 5 cents.
GUWonder, gojko88, prgboy and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm much happier with a US policy driven by scientists and dctors -- however overcautious and restrained their approach -- than the way US policy was driven by TFG, based on optics and the need to place blame elsewhere.
I think the problem here is that it clearly isn't.

US has been open to many countries with seriously high cases / terrible testing / problematic variants, and closed to countries where COVID is well under control / at significantly lower rates than it is in the US.

If the policies looked like they were based on any sort of data I imagine a lot fewer people would have issues with them. Not least because you'd probably be able to work out when they were going to re-open to certain countries. Something like the "EU’s List of Epidemiologically Safe Countries" system: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/eu-...amid-covid-19/ and the EDC recommendations...

• Green countries are considered those in which the infection rate is less than 50 and test positivity is less than four per cent or if the infection rate is less than 75 and the test positivity rate is less than one per cent
  • Orange countries are considered those that report less than 50 positive cases and test positivity is four per cent or more; if the infection rates are between 50 to 75 and test positivity is one per cent or more, or if the positive cases are between 75 to 200 and test positivity is less than four per cent
  • Red countries are those with 75 to 200 positive cases and test positivity of four per cent or more; or, if the infection rates are more than 200 but less than 500
  • Dark red countries are considered those with more than 500 positive cases
  • Grey countries are considered those with a testing rate lower than 300 cases per 100,000 inhabitants, or there isn’t available data for the country to be categorised
Though obviously there's significant scope to improve that system too (by taking into account vaccinations rates for instance).

Anyway, I've just moved my August flights to November... though I have zero confidence that the US will be using any sort of sensible system by then either (it's just the next period I can make the trip work).

Last edited by RG1X; Aug 6, 2021 at 7:32 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by florens
I would take this with a grain of salt. This is just PR to get people booking flights. My 5 cents.
"Vague hopes of future travel to the US for Europeans"

US considers easing travel restrictions for vaccinated people
https://www.mccourier.com/us-conside...le-free-press/
Owenc likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vanillabean
"Vague hopes of future travel to the US for Europeans"

US considers easing travel restrictions for vaccinated people
https://www.mccourier.com/us-conside...le-free-press/
I wouldnt be surprised if it means a test requirement still applies even for the fully vaccinated to fly to the US.
florens and Owenc like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldnt be surprised if it means a test requirement still applies even for the fully vaccinated to fly to the US.
Probably. And while that would be a little annoying and potentially expensive, I'd take it at this stage.
Owenc, mikeyfly, gudugan and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by merlin90
Probably. And while that would be a little annoying and potentially expensive, I'd take it at this stage.
I take your point but I think that would be peanuts compared to the cost of a couple of weeks in the Caribbean which weve just arranged as the only way of getting to our son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters in New York after two years of FaceTime only.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Whiterose
I take your point but I think that would be peanuts compared to the cost of a couple of weeks in the Caribbean which weve just arranged as the only way of getting to our son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters in New York after two years of FaceTime only.
Oh, of course. My point was that vaccinated people having to provide a pre-departure negative test is a bit annoying but not really worth getting worked up about if it's part of a way to re-open travel. Certainly compared to spending two weeks in a third country it's a negligible outlay.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I wouldn’t be surprised if it means a test requirement still applies even for the fully vaccinated to fly to the US.
At departure or at arrival (or both)? As it stands now I think, the US can't be bothered to test its returning residents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.