Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Coronavirus and travel

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 2, 21, 7:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Wiki Link
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDCs website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 21, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, ANA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Can you elaborate on what do you mean by verifiable digitally on a state-to-state basis and which state is not included in that?
I don't know which states are doing what, exactly, but each state can, if it wishes, set up its own digital vaccine verification system. In California, for instance, I was able to submit the dates of both my doses along with my name to the system that the state established, and because that information matched against whichever database stores this information, I was sent a QR code and summary of my doses/dates that I can use to verify that I am vaccinated. I've not had to use this for anything yet and I honestly haven't heard of anyone else who has (some friends had to show their CDC card one time to get into Dodger Stadium) but I imagine other states have done something similar. It's not mandatory; more of a way to prove your vaccination status, if necessary, without worrying about losing your CDC card.
Old Aug 2, 21, 10:42 am

Programs: AS 100K, SK, UR, MR
Originally Posted by merlin90 View Post
I don't know which states are doing what, exactly, but each state can, if it wishes, set up its own digital vaccine verification system. In California,
California is very careful about the terminology. Its entitled a Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record, and words such as certificate and verification are not to be found in the FAQ.

https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov/faq
lobo411 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 21, 8:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Please remember this thread is about US borders reopening to travellers from Schengen countries and the UK and not about Coronavirus in the US. Several posts have been moved to the following thread in OMNI/PR.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...-epidemic.html

/mod
Old Aug 3, 21, 5:01 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
With NYC requesting Vaccination proof i wonder if those travelling to the US (through 3rd country) will struggle to use the NHS app as proof of vaccination in places like NYC etc. (just like US people struggle in EU with their cdc cards)...
Old Aug 3, 21, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
At risk of cross-posting, I note that US State Department just released a new list of countries on the Do Not Travel list including Andorra, Greece, Ireland, and Malta. Unfortunately I do not see this as a positive development to re-opening the borders here.
Old Aug 3, 21, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
At risk of cross-posting, I note that US State Department just released a new list of countries on the Do Not Travel list including Andorra, Greece, Ireland, and Malta. Unfortunately I do not see this as a positive development to re-opening the borders here.
Theyve been posting this nonsense for months now. Apparently the definition of the Do Not Travel list is quite broad and can at times simultaneously include countries such as Ireland and Somalia. YMMV
Boraxo, 84fiero and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 3, 21, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Once upon a time the CDC guidance for traveling to an area was mostly based on health concerns (e.g. Zika, remember that one?) and the US Department of State had a separate, often uncorrelated one which detailed risks like kidnapping.

Now I think they've basically merged the ratings and labeled everything as "Do Not Travel".

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/noticescovid19
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...visories.html/

One of the amusing ones that caught my eye is Macau, which the Department of State calls a Level 4 because the CDC says the level of COVID is unknown. Meanwhile they have between 0 and 2 cases. Go figure.
84fiero, LETTERBOY, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 3, 21, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, ANA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Nice to know this is still being pushed in press conferences. No word on what the eventual answer was today but presumably nothing particularly enlightening.
Old Aug 3, 21, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
One of the amusing ones that caught my eye is Macau, which the Department of State calls a Level 4 because the CDC says the level of COVID is unknown. Meanwhile they have between 0 and 2 cases. Go figure.
It's "unknown" because it's well-established that the Chinese government censors data that it sees as uncomplimentary to the Chinese Community Party. "Unknown" because the CCP numbers can't be trusted.
​​​​
LETTERBOY, richiejv and casey89 like this.
Old Aug 4, 21, 2:57 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
As of today, Switzerland does not have any "countries of concern" any longer on their list. It's time for US to move on as well.....

Coronavirus: list of countries with a variant of concern

The list was updated on 4 August. Currently there are no countries on the list of countries with a variant of concern.

List valid upon arriving in Switzerland from 4.8.21
Countries with a variant of concern

Currently there are no countries on the list of countries with a variant of concern. India, Nepal and the UK were removed from the list with effect 4 August.
Boraxo and Owenc like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 4, 21 at 6:43 pm Reason: Font size
Old Aug 4, 21, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by gudugan View Post
The CDC rates China as Level 1: low risk, yet the Presidential Proclamation is still in place barring foreigners entering from China:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ler/none/china
lobo411 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 21, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
It's "unknown" because it's well-established that the Chinese government censors data that it sees as uncomplimentary to the Chinese Community Party. "Unknown" because the CCP numbers can't be trusted.
​​​​
That can't be the explanation because their rating for China itself is Level 1, low risk:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...ler/none/china
lobo411 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 21, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
​​​​
Eh, the real reason is that the CDC marks most islands/small places (e.g. Greenland, Guernsey, Monaco, San Marino, Azores, etc) as unknown due to their size.
The US Department of State considers Macau a separate entity from China, while something like Monaco is considered part of France (hence, Level 3)

sorry for making this offtopic
lobo411 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 21, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by merlin90 View Post
I don't know which states are doing what, exactly, but each state can, if it wishes, set up its own digital vaccine verification system. In California, for instance, I was able to submit the dates of both my doses along with my name to the system that the state established, and because that information matched against whichever database stores this information, I was sent a QR code and summary of my doses/dates that I can use to verify that I am vaccinated. I've not had to use this for anything yet and I honestly haven't heard of anyone else who has (some friends had to show their CDC card one time to get into Dodger Stadium) but I imagine other states have done something similar. It's not mandatory; more of a way to prove your vaccination status, if necessary, without worrying about losing your CDC card.
The thing is, in my state, Pennsylvania, there is no database to verify anything against, and so that ship has sailed with over half of the state's population vaccinated. It would have to rely on CDC cards being uploaded and taken at its face value. So perhaps it would work, but it would be no more worthy of anything than having a paper CDC card.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 4, 21, 3:10 pm

Programs: Skymiles
As expected, the matter becomes more complicated. EU will soon close the borders to the Americans if things do not change very soon. This is not a good thing, but a European reaction to this barbaric and unscientific treatment is desirable
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-fac...084808?mod=mhp
cmd320 and Owenc like this.

Search this Thread