Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Sep 15, 21, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
New thread for discussing 1-day test requirements for travellers arriving in the US by air
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2060730-us-require-air-travelers-provide-negative-test-within-1-day-departure.html

Entry ban from eight southern African countries starting on November 29, 2021

Most non-U.S. citizens who have been in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Lesotho, Eswatini, Mozambique or Malaw within the prior 14 days will not be allowed into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/11/26/a-proclamation-on-suspension-of-entry-as-immigrants-and-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019/

Entry ban by air to be lifted on November 8, 2021 - All travelers should refer to CDC for travel requirements.

3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue (US citizens/LPR not vaccinated will have to test no earlier than 1 day prior) Children under 2 years old do not need to test.

Children under 18 are exempt from vaccination requirement
Accepted vaccines will include:
  • AstraZeneca
  • BIBP/Sinopharm
  • Covishield
  • Janssen/J&J
  • Moderna
  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Sinovac
Vaccination certificates must come from an official source
There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old
Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases

Update on U.S. travel policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination
Last Updated: October 25, 2021

As announced by the White House today, the new travel policy requiring foreign nationals traveling to the United States to demonstrate proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 will take effect November 8. The CDCs website explains that, for purposes of entry into the United States, the accepted vaccines will include FDA approved or authorized and WHO Emergency Use Listing vaccines.

COVID-19 Travel Restrictions and Exceptions - U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
Last updated: October 25, 2021

The presidential proclamations described on this page will no longer be in effect on November 8, 2021. For additional information, please see Safely Resuming Travel by Vaccine Requirement and Rescission of Travel Restrictions on Brazil, China, India, Iran, Ireland, the Schengen Area, South Africa, and the United Kingdom (travel.state.gov).

To protect the public health, there are four presidential proclamations that suspend entry into the United States of all noncitizens who were physically present in any of 33 countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. They are Presidential Proclamation 9984 (China); Presidential Proclamation 9992 (Iran); Presidential Proclamation 10143 (Schengen Area, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and South Africa); and Presidential Proclamation 10199 (India).

What we know so far is
- Confirmed to start on 8 November
- Children under 18 are exempt from the vaccine restrictions, so the varying international standards on jab ages won't be an issue here.

- Vaccines that are OK will include Pfizer, Moderna, AZ, J&J and the two Chinese vaccines.
- Some exemptions from vaccinations are potentially allowed, notably for US citizens, though my guess is airlines will be expecting to see vaccine certificates

- 3 day pre-flight testing requirement will continue, so this needs to be a documented antigen/Lateral Flow test or PCR.
- 3 days is potentially more than 72 hours, departure on a Friday afternoon means a test on Tuesday morning or thereafter.
- NHS Lateral Flows and PCRs can't be used.
- Children over 2 years old travelling with vaccinated travellers have to be tested on the same basis (3 days).
- 1 day testing for unvaccinated USA legal residents (testing on or the day before departure), including their children.

- All passengers need to sign an attestment to confirm their negative test result and also a statement to confirm full vaccination status.
- Children who are not vaccinated do not need to get vaccinated but do need to get a "viral test" 3 to 5 days after arrival in the USA
- As a result there is a separate attestion question for unvaccinated children to confirm that the viral test is arranged.

- Vaccination certificates must come from an official source. The NHS COVID Pass app and EU DCC are specifically mentioned as acceptable.
- Vaccination is counted as two weeks from dose2, or 2 weeks after the sole dose in the case of J&J.
- Antibody certification is not a replacement for the need for vaccination, at least for non USA residents.
- 14 clear days need to elapse before travel. So if jabbed on 1 October then 15 October is when you are good to go.
- Booster vaccinations are not a factor here, they don't count towards or against the primary dose process.

- There is a face mask mandate when flying to/from the USA, with effectively no exemptions, and including children two and above years old.
- Airlines need to provide some sort of contact tracing information for potential follow-up cases.
- These restrictions do not apply at the land border.

Note that a lot of interpretation onus falls on airlines. For example there is no language requirement for vaccine certificates as far as the CDC is concerned, however you can imagine Air France may be hesitant in accepting a vaccine certificate issued in the Welsh language, to take one example.

CDC link
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2...el-System.html

Print Wikipost

US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)

Old Jul 26, 21, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
You mean sort of like how the UK is going to allow Brits who are "double jabbed" to return without quarantine, but not, you know, anyone else from anywhere in the world that is double jabbed? Do you mean that kind of "preferential treatment" for their citizenry?

I think most here are not super happy with anything going on. It's sad you've decided to try and take this thread to "Omni land" and pit fellow travelers, against one another.

Regards
Only Brits double jabbed that they can verify were double jabbed through the NHS. Brits who got their vaccines elsewhere are just as SOL as everyone else.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by so152so14 View Post
. Brits who got their vaccines elsewhere are just as SOL as everyone else.
no, that's what's changing in a few weeks. They will not have to self isolate.
rockflyertalk and mattg85 like this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by so152so14 View Post
Only Brits double jabbed that they can verify were double jabbed through the NHS. Brits who got their vaccines elsewhere are just as SOL as everyone else.
I heard that may or is changing.
Old Jul 26, 21, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
You mean sort of like how the UK is going to allow Brits who are "double jabbed" to return without quarantine, but not, you know, anyone else from anywhere in the world that is double jabbed? Do you mean that kind of "preferential treatment" for their citizenry?

I think most here are not super happy with anything going on. It's sad you've decided to try and take this thread to "Omni land" and pit fellow travelers, against one another.

Regards
Im sorry you have interpreted my posts in that way, that is not my intention.
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stupidhead View Post
Has anyone tried entering the US direct from Europe with a Green Card? Legal Permanent Residents are enumerated as one of the exceptions to the Schengen ban but just wanted to see if anyone had any trouble getting through.

I live Stateside, was vaccinated here (both shots), and have a ticket booked to Spain and back over Christmas.
Yes. Its easy, at least in my experience.

At check-in I had barely handed over my passport before I was asked for my green card so there was an assumption I was traveling as an LPR.

On entering the US I used Global Entry kiosk and was through in the usual 30 seconds.

It is slightly more burdensome if one is using one of the other exemptions however, but mainly as a result of having to travel with more documentation (marriage certificates etc)
Old Jul 26, 21, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
no, that's what's changing in a few weeks. They will not have to self isolate.
Im hoping (but not hopeful) that the exemption will be a bit broader than just Brits. Im going to be traveling to UK with my US citizen husband at the end of August.

It will be a total farce if I am exempt from quarantine yet he is not. Especially considering we even received the same batch of vaccine both times on the same days at the same vaccination center.

I know they said the exemption will apply to everyone eventually but if theyre able to recognize overseas vaccine certificates for citizens, surely the same method would be used for non-citizens.
Old Jul 26, 21, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Owenc View Post
Because they have restricted our entry without justification.

They are also not banning entry from other high case rate countries.
The United States doesn't need to give any justification whatsoever. They are an independent country. They can let in, or not let in, whoever they want. Unless you're an American citizen, entry to the United States is a privilege, not a right.

Originally Posted by jddbz View Post
The most interesting/relevant/disheartening two paragraphs of that:

If the borders are seriously staying closed because the Biden admin is worried that the US public incorrectly thinks Europeans aren't vaccinated (when both the UK and EU have surpassed the US in vaccination numbers) its absolutely insane. Talk about cowardice in governing... Just rescind the travel ban and point anyone who objects to that to the vaccination figures for the relevant countries.
Jeff Zients has tunnel vision if he's thinking like this. As you say, they can point to the vaccination figures for Europe. Regarding the issue of coronavirus passports, for returning American citizens, they can just use their CDC cards. It'd be monumentally stupid for the US government to not accept the proof they give to their own people. For EU visitors, they should be able to figure out how to use whatever EU passes are being used there. If they don't want to use the EU passes, they can just require tests.
Old Jul 26, 21, 6:38 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mattg85 View Post
Im hoping (but not hopeful) that the exemption will be a bit broader than just Brits. Im going to be traveling to UK with my US citizen husband at the end of August.

It will be a total farce if I am exempt from quarantine yet he is not. Especially considering we even received the same batch of vaccine both times on the same days at the same vaccination center.

I know they said the exemption will apply to everyone eventually but if theyre able to recognize overseas vaccine certificates for citizens, surely the same method would be used for non-citizens.
My bigger worry is the UK putting the USA on the red list for not opening up the UK citizens to enter the USA.
I mean probably me being panickly with a lot of back and fourth between the US and then having to pay for Isolation hotels in the UK.
Old Jul 26, 21, 6:41 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by When I Travel The World View Post
My bigger worry is the UK putting the USA on the red list for not opening up the UK citizens to enter the USA.
Many Americans would consider the amber restrictions that currently apply to the US to be the equivalent of a ban, so putting them on the red list wouldn't make any sense. Which is probably why BoJo will do it.
Old Jul 26, 21, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ANA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Regarding the issue of coronavirus passports, for returning American citizens, they can just use their CDC cards. It'd be monumentally stupid for the US government to not accept the proof they give to their own people. For EU visitors, they should be able to figure out how to use whatever EU passes are being used there. If they don't want to use the EU passes, they can just require tests.
I don't think there's any need to even ask returning US citizens to show a CDC card if the administration is worried about the optics. I'd hope Biden could say something like, "Entry into the United States for our citizens will always be guaranteed, regardless of where you're coming from or whether you're vaccinated. Americans will never be asked to prove their vaccination status in order to enter their own country. In these uncertain times we think it's right to ask those people visiting our country to show proof of vaccination until we can be confident we've brought this virus under control." However, there are so many nutters influencing the general US political discourse that even that would probably still be billed as the start of a slippery slope towards federally-mandated vaccine passports.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 8:21 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY View Post
Jeff Zients has tunnel vision if he's thinking like this. As you say, they can point to the vaccination figures for Europe. Regarding the issue of coronavirus passports, for returning American citizens, they can just use their CDC cards. It'd be monumentally stupid for the US government to not accept the proof they give to their own people. For EU visitors, they should be able to figure out how to use whatever EU passes are being used there. If they don't want to use the EU passes, they can just require tests.
Agreed! This isn't as hard as they're making it.

Originally Posted by merlin90 View Post
I don't think there's any need to even ask returning US citizens to show a CDC card if the administration is worried about the optics. I'd hope Biden could say something like, "Entry into the United States for our citizens will always be guaranteed, regardless of where you're coming from or whether you're vaccinated. Americans will never be asked to prove their vaccination status in order to enter their own country. In these uncertain times we think it's right to ask those people visiting our country to show proof of vaccination until we can be confident we've brought this virus under control." However, there are so many nutters influencing the general US political discourse that even that would probably still be billed as the start of a slippery slope towards federally-mandated vaccine passports.
You should be added to the Administration's advisory group, this is very well said! I'd hope they won't let the fringe elements drive this train, but nutters of all stripes have been given too much of a voice in recent years. It will be interesting to watch if any Members of Congress - of either or both parties - give any pushback in the coming days about not lifting the ban.
Owenc likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:06 pm

Given the ongoing travel ban and purely political reasoning of the current administration (so much about they only follow the science), Im looking for workarounds as I have travel to Europe coming up soon which I do not want to cancel at all cost (non-permanent resident here, EU passport).

Apologies if its been discussed before - can I take a flight to Mexico, then proceed to Europe on separate ticket and return the same way?
Basically:
Ticket 1: US-Mexico
Ticket 2: Mexico - Europe - Mexico
Ticket 3: Mexico - US

Possible or does CBP have a way of knowing that Ive been in Europe in between and send me to 2 week quarantine in Mexico on my way back?
Fully vaccinated in the US.

Disclaimer: Appreciate not being judged. Been patiently waiting for 1.5+ years, but dont see an end to the ban in sight and am deeply disappointed about the handling of this by the Biden-Harris administration. When it comes to this, theyre exactly as political as the former one and not following the science at all.
LETTERBOY and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, ANA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nemenor View Post
Given the ongoing travel ban and purely political reasoning of the current administration (so much about they only follow the science), Im looking for workarounds as I have travel to Europe coming up soon which I do not want to cancel at all cost (non-permanent resident here, EU passport).

Apologies if its been discussed before - can I take a flight to Mexico, then proceed to Europe on separate ticket and return the same way?
Basically:

Possible or does CBP have a way of knowing that Ive been in Europe in between and send me to 2 week quarantine in Mexico on my way back?

Disclaimer: Appreciate not being judged. Been patiently waiting for 1.5+ years, but dont see an end to the ban in sight and am deeply disappointed about the handling of this by the Biden-Harris administration. When it comes to this, theyre exactly as political as the former one and not following the science at all.
Is there any reason to fly to Europe via Mexico rather than just flying direct? You could fly US to Europe on ticket 1, Europe to Mexico on ticket 2, Mexico to the US (once 14 full days have elapsed) on ticket 3. The only reason I can see to do it slightly differently is if a Mexico-Europe return is much cheaper than a series of one-way flights.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
Basically:

absolutely fine if you do 2 weeks in Mexico on the way back. If you dont do that, youre putting yourself in a very difficult position. Being denied entry is not a good place to be.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 26, 21, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

Basically:

If you try this, lie and are found out (and they can definitely find out), you risk being banned from entering the US for years if not life, not just sent to Mexico for two weeks. And generally, advocating and discussing illegal activities should probably not be done on FT or this thread if we want it to stay open.
casey89 likes this.

Search this Thread