Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Mask-wearing while on a flight: whimsical or intentional?

Old Apr 27, 21, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.

When it comes down to no more masks required (oh, what a day), will I still be allowed to wear a mask on a flight?
Owenc likes this.
Old Apr 27, 21, 3:39 pm

Prior to the pandemic, it was fairly common for large swaths of the world's population, especially in Asia, to wear masks in crowds and on public transport. I don't imagine that'll go away - if anything, I'd expect it to become more common.

I'm sure there will be times you're obligated to remove the mask (e.g. for security or immigration screening), but wouldn't expect "masks not permitted" rules to be put in place on public transport.

I do imagine we'll see them return to places like banks and convenience stores, where masks, hoods, and head coverings were prohibited for security concerns.

I suspect that in certain places and settings you'll probably receive a few derisive looks, and perhaps some snark, but that's not really the thrust of your question.
Old Apr 27, 21, 3:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
I keep thinking of those packed flights between Thanksgiving and Christmas where everyone is traveling to visit relatives and half the plane is coughing and sneezing. It seemed like I always caught something on those flights.

I fully expect I will mask up on those types of flights (cold and flu season with tons of kids on the plane) for the forseeable future.
TWA884, channonc, downinit and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 21, 7:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by jan_believes View Post
When it comes down to no more masks required (oh, what a day), will I still be allowed to wear a mask on a flight?
Question is, what kind of message you want to project.

Because in last year scream coming from every corner was ‘masks are to protect people from you’. So unless you are wearing n90 respirator, in a place where others don’t wear mask wearing one is like ‘I might be infected’.
Pirrito likes this.
Old Apr 27, 21, 11:41 pm

After SARs it became common to see people in Asian countries wearing face masks, including on planes, and I expect something similar will happen after COVID-19. It is common courtesy to wear a face mask if one had a cold or cough, in order to protect others (and keep on working or travelling etc). All by personal choice though - so hopefully the anti-maskers will not accost anyone wearing a mask by choice.

I wonder if we'll continue to see people wearing full HAZMAT suits while flying. Seeing these people is one of my highlights each time I've connected in Amsterdam this year - not in a judgy way I just find it somewhat cool.
Old Apr 28, 21, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Question is, what kind of message you want to project.

Because in last year scream coming from every corner was ‘masks are to protect people from you’. So unless you are wearing n90 respirator, in a place where others don’t wear mask wearing one is like ‘I might be infected’.
Yeah, but still it feels to me like nobody managed to understand that, or cared much. My parents certainly don't, "high education" and more than average interest in this not withstanding. Nor do they know the difference between masks worn to protect others from you (the usual mask), or masks worn to protect you from them (the n95+ masks). So everyone will just assume you are wearing it to protect yourself from them I'm sure.

It is somewhat amusing that in much of Asia it is the opposite, where pre-Covid19 everyone assumed someone wearing a mask was just doing the polite thing: protecting you from their common cold.
Old Apr 28, 21, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by 8420PR View Post
...I wonder if we'll continue to see people wearing full HAZMAT suits while flying.
Hazmat suits were intended for more potent hazards than covid. For that reason people wearing them must go through decontamination process before entering civilian spaces. Otherwise we just don't know what contamination might be on them.
Airports and planes don't offer appropriate decontamination. So hazmat suited folks must absolutely not be allowed to mix with casually dressed civilians. It's a similar situation to folks wearing explosion-proof gear to the airport. Both should be immediately treated as terrorism suspects.
Pirrito and m907 like this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Why would you not be able to wear a mask?
largeeyes likes this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 3:52 am

I personally will continue to wear mask. This past yr was the first yr in my adult life I didn't catch any flu and it feels good (not catching a flu that is).
channonc, FlyerEC and downinit like this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 4:00 am

Programs: Radisson Platinum, SAS Nothing, SJ Prio Grey
I recall occasionally seeing people in masks prior to the pandemic (usually ethnic Asians) so I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible after the pandemic. Apart from certain professional settings (e.g. customer-facing jobs) and situations where identification is needed (passport control, demonstrations, etc.) it'll be up to everyone to wear whatever they want.
Old Apr 29, 21, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC
[References to since-deleted post deleted by Moderator.]

Deleted
downinit and SeaMeFly like this.

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Apr 29, 21 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 29, 21, 7:10 am

I wore one most of the time before the pandemic just because the air on the plane is so dry, it helped keep a bit of humidity in the air I was breathing. So yes, you will be allowed to wear your mask.
Old Apr 30, 21, 3:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Mask Mandate extended until September.

Now extended until September 13.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...-mask-mandate/
GUWonder and SeaMeFly like this.
Old Apr 30, 21, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Jelly of the Month
I understand the mask mandates and recognize that widespread compliance has helped, but I am so looking forward to the day when I can burn the d*mn things and never wear one again!

Yes, I comply with the mask requirements, but I don't like it.

"Not in a box, not with a fox. Not in a plane, not on a train. I do not like it, Sam I am"

I also question whether the cure has been worse than the disease (from an economic standpoint).
Rare, RaindropT, m907 and 2 others like this.
Old May 1, 21, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica View Post
I understand the mask mandates and recognize that widespread compliance has helped, but I am so looking forward to the day when I can burn the d*mn things and never wear one again!

Yes, I comply with the mask requirements, but I don't like it.

"Not in a box, not with a fox. Not in a plane, not on a train. I do not like it, Sam I am"

I also question whether the cure has been worse than the disease (from an economic standpoint).
Argh, board ate my reply! Trying again:

Look at the places that actually effectively locked down and then kept on top of things--they're doing a lot better than other countries.

Look back at 1918--in the end the places that were stricter ended up economically ahead.
writerguyfl likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: